Disappointed in Bay Lake Theme Park View

sandieb

DIS Veteran
We just stayed in the Bay Lake Villas at the Contemporary. Because it was the first time staying there, we reserved the Theme Park View. Ugh. I call it the parking lot view. In your field of vision, you see 4/5 parking lot and 1/5 theme park. It was a major disappointment, and I would definitely recommend the lake view. However, it was a nice resort and it didn't ruin anything. Just not worth the extra points or good for sitting on the balcony.

We just stayed in the Bay Lake Villas at the Contemporary. Because it was the first time staying there, we reserved the Theme Park View. Ugh. I call it the parking lot view. In your field of vision, you see 4/5 parking lot and 1/5 theme park. It was a major disappointment, and I would definitely recommend the lake view. However, it was a nice resort and it didn't ruin anything. Just not worth the extra points or good for sitting on the balcony.

Which floor? Yours is one of the repeated complaints of TPV. As a result, beginning next year, the 3rd and 4th floors are being converted to standard view (second floor has always been standard view). My personal view is that still is not enough of a conversion to solve this problem and they need to go up at least one more floor on that conversion but it is a start.

We were on the 6th floor.

When we checked in they gave us the 7th floor. We had a "deluxe" theme park view and were right by the elevator. The Grand Floridean was straight ahead and we could not see the theme park at all. I called down and talked to the front desk who moved us.

We were surprised that the second villa had a much worse view - but we did see the theme park. Anyway, we just decided to live and learn, and we won't stay there again.

The place is lovely, but we like the hustle & bustle of the BCV & Boardwalk, the location, and all of the assoiciated amenities.

We were there last month - 7th floor. I was surprised how prominent the parking lot was in the view. I had asked for a high floor - but I guess 7 was the best they could do.

We loved the location - my "kids" are young adults now, but even though our focus isn't on the MK as much anymore, we loved having the restaurants of all the monorail resorts at our easy disposal.

I keep going back the fireworks though - I'd MUCH rather watch them from the park than from my balcony or the lounge. Now that I realize that, I'll save on points and go lake view if we ever decide to try BLT again.

No offense to anyone but I am surprised anyone is surprised at the views for BLT. :confused3

The hotel was built right where the North Garden Wing was and even though it is much taller they did not change the location.

I have never thought the views from the Contemporary resort were good compared to the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian.

The parking lot will always be in your line of view and location will always be to the side of Space Mt. not straight on.

The views at GFV will not be good ones either.

Other than the view; hope you had a good stay.

I'm sorry you were disapointed ,I was so anxious when they were still building,that as soon as it was open I started watching on here to see the different views and thought the same thing regarding the parking lot and have just gone for the lake view . Glad you didn't let it ruin your trip-

this is exactly the reason we booked lake view. we stayed at BLT, once. never again. It's basically a hotel. and, of course, basically surrounded by parking.
we prefer the themes of beach club, boardwalk, wildreness lodge, carribbean beach port orleans, etc, etc.
we live near Chicago.. some of the priciest penthouses on the "outer drive" have "wonderful views" of the chicago lakefront, including numerous buildings (ok, also lake michigan).

i knew when choosing the view (and points) that any MK view would also include parking lot. from our lake view, we could watch the electrical water pagaent.
and one night (hallowwishes night) we went up to the top of the word to view hallow wishes!

Unfortunately the main thing that makes it theme park view is that you can see the fireworks... but if you want to see the fireworks, you will most likely be in MK seeing them there. But as previously stated, you live and learn.

When we had a BLT Theme Park view at night we had a great view of the fireworks. We could even lay in bed and watch them. During the day I really didn't mind the parking lot view for what we got at night.

We love the MK view from BLT. Yes, there is a parking lot below but we love watching the monorail, train, castle, astro orbiter and even splash mountain during the day. Heck I even don't mind watching the buses come and go both from CR and MK.

We used to stay at CR and loved the MK view from there. We bought at BLT so we could stay MK view in a 1br, but we knew exactly what to expect.

There does seem to be an ongoing problem with preminum views at some Disney resorts. While I have yet to stay at BLT, the MK views just do not seem THAT magical. The highest floors will get you the best chance, but most of the views from that building, from any floor, seem to really be parking lot views.

Check our some of the comments about the ocean view rooms at Aulani. Stand on your balcony, lean over the railing, turn your head 90 degrees and look across the pools and--presto--there is the ocean! Oceanview! More Points!

When it is just DH and me, I will do lake view. But in March we took my extended family with us so I did MK view. We were 5th floor, dedicated 2 bedroom, next to the north elevator. It was okay, but didn't seem to impress the family all that much since we weren't going to spend that much time in the room anyway.

Then my sister got sick and spent a whole day in the villa while the rest of us went to the parks. When we got back, she told me I hadn't wasted the points for the better view because she had spent much of the day staring out the window at the MK and enjoying the view. At least someone enjoyed it. :)

Unfortunately the main thing that makes it theme park view is that you can see the fireworks... but if you want to see the fireworks, you will most likely be in MK seeing them there. But as previously stated, you live and learn.
Not if you have an infant like we do. We love Wishes, but I can't keep my 11 month old out every night. Therefore even some sort of a view of the fireworks is great for us. Now we won't get theme park that often, but I'm going in knowing its probably a so so view.

I know you said most likely but a lot of people aren't out late every nigh fighting the crowds. So we take what we can get :)

We've stayed at BLT in a std view and Theme Park view and not seen any difference, since the std view was only 1 floor down from the Park view. One good thing about Florida and BLT is that there are very few rusty cars in the parking lot. Where I'm from, you never see so many clean cars all at once. Its so magical.

We did TPV (8th floor) in May 2011 and it was theme park view if you stood on the balcony and twisted your neck to the right. From what I understand the layout goes Studio, 1 bdr, 1 bedroom, studio which each connect to make a two bed unit. If you get the first studio you have a great view of the MK as you go along the view gets worst but they all cost the extra points. We were very disappointed.

Some background: gone 3x to Disney: 2007 BWV, 2009 BCV, 2011 BLT, all one bedrooms. We are renters not owners

Wanted to try BLT and took the plunge. did some research and was told some special requests to make to hopefully make our LV a TPV and it paid off as I would consider the room we had a TPV.

My first impression of the view was wow-that castle is far away and this is the parking lot.

We did a 9 night trip and early in our stay we did the fireworks from MK in the park (kids ages 6 and 7). It was trerrible. But I am glad we did it for the parade.

After that, we piped the music in on TV's and watched the fireworks from the balcony (as another poster stated) and that was just priceless! NO crowds, NO fighting, NO exiting. Just fireworks and bedtime---pure bliss!

Now that all being said---I can understand the original posters frustration--I know the points are high for a TPV--as I said I had a LV room.

--the points are so high maybe expexctations were too high? I dont know

--maybe he/she got the "worst" TPV while I had the "best" lake view?

All I can say is that I was afraid of so many of the things you hear about BLT--sterile, high rise, low themed, etc etc

But I really enjoyed it - just as much as BWV and BCV

What it does lack it makes up for -- monorail, view, the lack of walking those longggg hallways, pool, etc

I dont own and I dont have a hand in the pot this is all JIMO

I think it is worth a try for something new--in 2013 I am doing Fantasy cruise and probably back to Disney after that for GFV--I think I will LOVE that

Sorry you had a bad experience - or should I say, sorry your expectations are not met---I hate when that happens....

I am glad to hear that many liked the theme park view - it does make sense if you have little ones and need to get them to bed before/or just as the fireworks go off.

It didn't ruin my trip. The decor was quite elegant. I am glad there are so many DVC areas from which to choose. Also, now I know what I like and what I could pass up.

When we stayed at BLT in a LV, we were a little surprised at that. We had the most interior room of the LVs (it's sort of like a "u" around the pool and we were at the bottom right corner of the "u" and most of the lake was obscured by the two lengths of the building - but it was still a nice pool view anyway.

Because of the view experience in the LV, we took the BLT sales talk and they had rooms open. We wanted to see what the TPV looked like. In the bright sun of mid day, we were shocked. It was all parking lot dominant and the castle seemed so far away. That night, we watched the fireworks from the TotW platform - what a difference nighttime makes. The night erases the parking lot and all the park lights make the Kingdom look magical. It's definitely an evening view sort of resort.

But it's still Disney! And there's still the monorail and that easy walk to the park.

As others have said, unfortunately the parking lot is in between the Contempoary and the Theme park, so any theme park view is going to have a great view of the parking lot. And just like most other resorts, you have to keep in mind that Disney wants to shield guests inside the park from seeing things outside of the park. So, you really will only get to see the tops of buildings. The premium is charged for the fireworks and that is pretty much it (oh and even without the fireworks all the people that would still want to face the parks for whatever reason).

This isn't a DVC problem, as most resorts have similar problems with the views.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter