Dis Viking River Cruise 10/19 - 10/26/2015

First Class is the way to go!!

We've pretty much decided that we won't be doing the up-charge wine package on the cruise. While we enjoy wine, we're not snobbish enough to tell the difference between the more expensive wines. Also, since we will be stopping everyday to explore the area, it shouldn't be difficult to pickup a bottle while ashore, if need be.

First Class is the way to go!!

We've pretty much decided that we won't be doing the up-charge wine package on the cruise. While we enjoy wine, we're not snobbish enough to tell the difference between the more expensive wines. Also, since we will be stopping everyday to explore the area, it shouldn't be difficult to pickup a bottle while ashore, if need be.
We've decided the same thing. It will be easy to pick something local up if we want, and I can think of a ton of stuff I'd rather spend that money on!

Plane tickets purchased, decided to do the Viking transfers, now all I need to do is dream about the things we will visit again in Paris and the new things we will do that there wasn't time for last time!! Don't need to go back to Versailles or up in the Tower, so that adds even more exploring time! Anyone have a favorite Paris "spot"? Could be a bakery, restaurant, park or shop.

Ladies, what type of clothing do you plan to take for dinners on board? I know it isn't formal, just curious what others might be planning on bringing.

We just got back from a trip to Disneyland. We really enjoyed it so much! Several things were closed, but it didn't feel as construction-y and hassled as WDW has been feeling lately. This coming back from vacation depression thing is real though. Paying bills and doing the wash is such a drag!!!!!!!!!!

That's one thing I'm NOT looking forward to! When we came back from our ABD London/Paris I went through a huge post-amazing-trip-ever depression. It was such a wonderful experience, and we made such amazing friends, I just wanted to do it all over again! This trip we will have spent a week at WDW with the whole family, get home Saturday and leave on Sunday for Paris! I can't imagine what the post-trip depression will look like this time! lol

Just a heads up to the folks doing the pre-cruise stay. Act fast is you want to book the 6:30 seating at 58 Tour Eiffel. As of yesterday only Sunday the 18th was still open for booking. We booked the Emotion package for the window seat that comes with the dinner.

Found this document attached to a post here on the DIS that gives the locations (and music) for Epcot's Impressions de France that some might find interesting.

Attachments

• Impressions de France sites list Epcot.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 1
We received a notice from Viking alerting us that the Rinda may not be able to dock at Paris. Viking is still trying to arrange to dock there but for now the boat will sail from Le Pecq, which is 11 miles to the west of Paris. Viking has arranged for a complimentary shuttle between Paris and Le Pecq.

I'm a little bummed about this as well, because we get in really early on the 19th and I thought we could just dump our luggage and head out to explore. It does say there will be a shuttle into Paris and they've added a nighttime tour on the last night, but I was hoping with the central location that we could see Paris without much travel required.

Being a little bummed turned to concerned when I looked on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic and saw recent reviews about this saying that Le Pecq is 45 min-1 hour outside of Paris.

Laurie

Last edited:
I was looking for more information about the Rinda docking outside of Paris over on Cruise Critic and found this recent summary from Kevdog71 who was on the 6/15 cruise:

I just returned from the Paris to Normandy cruise on the Rinda last week. Please be advised that the Rinda does not dock downtown in Paris, but but about 10 miles (we averaged about 45 minutes by bus or shuttle) to the west in Le Pecq, so walking to Paris sites is not currently an option if you are on this ship. There is still hope among the crew that the French government will approve the permit allowing the Rinda to dock in downtown Paris sometime during this cruise season, but no one could say for sure when it will happen.

Viking has two shuttles on the first day of your cruise (one at 11:00 am and one at 2:00 pm) that can take you into downtown Paris for sightseeing. The shuttle then picks up at the Churchill statue in front of the Petit Palais at 5:00 to take you back to the ship.

On day two, the bus excursion departs at around 9 and drives you all around the city with a narrated guide. You'll see the Arc d'Triumph, drive down the Champs-Élysées, in front of the Eiffel Tower, to the Opera House, in front of the Louvre, and down the Seine until you're let out near Notre Dame. The guide gives a tour of the downstairs of Notre Dame and gives you two hours of free time for lunch and wandering around the island. You then have the option of re-boarding the buses and going on to the Eiffel Tower (you're given about 20 minutes to wander around the base and take pictures, not enough time to go up) and then back to the ship by 4:30, or you can break off from the group and do your own thing. We went to the Eiffel Tower on our own on day 1, so we broke away from the group and walked down to Musee d'Orsay where we had booked a private tour. We had about 2.5 hours in the Museum before we had to walk across the river to catch the 5:00 shuttle. The ship sails at about 6:45 that evening, so if you want more time, you could always arrange your own transportation back to the ship.

On day 7, Viking offered an optional highlights tour of the Louvre, which we did. It departed at 8 and we arrived at the Museum a few minutes before it opened. The guide led us through the highlights including the Mona Lisa, Winged Victory and Venus de Milo over about 2.5 hours. We were back to the ship for lunch (they did offer us the option of staying in Paris and picking up the 5:00 shuttle again) and then headed out on the Versailles tour that afternoon at 2:30. They also offered a Paris by night tour that evening which departed at 9 and returned at midnight, but we opted to stay on board and pack.

Generally speaking, you do get to see the highlights of Paris within the parameters of the cruise itinerary, but many are through the windows of a bus, and due to the ship's location, there aren't a lot of opportunities to casually walk around a see the sights. If you're arriving early or staying after, I would recommend seeing Musée d'Orsay, Musée de l'Orangerie, and doing the walk from the Arc d'Triumph down the Champs-Élysées to Place de la Concorde.

That having been said, this is really a wonderful cruise and the Viking staff does a magnificent job making sure everyone's individual needs are met.

Thought I would pass it along, since his comments about the shuttle times and excursions could help with planning.

Laurie

I'm a bit frustrated with the change. I'm glad they are offering the shuttle, but it sure does make just hopping out to explore much more of a planned event. We will either have to deal with the schedule of the shuttles or pay for cab rides. While this isn't a "deal breaker" for the trip, it is a bit disappointing, (especially since we don't plan to do some of the excursions in Paris since we have done them before.). We were really looking forward to being in the city and within walking distance to many things. Walking to different places and stumbling on gems are some of our best memories from our last trip.

I'll keep my fingers crossed they get the permit to dock in Paris...

I'm not happy about the change of port as well. I had everything planned out and I almost booked our Eiffel Tower tickets. I need to really rethink everything and also see if there is a bus or if the metro goes out there. I really hope this is changed before we sail.

agreed on the docking change being a total bummer. I had such a great plan in the works! Now I guess the first thing I need to plan is how to get from DLP to the ship. Maybe if I put enough time and effort into that they'll approve the permit! HA! I'm guess the subway is going to be the way to go but coming from Savannah and a train-less lifestyle I find the whole thing confusing as heck.

agreed on the docking change being a total bummer. I had such a great plan in the works! Now I guess the first thing I need to plan is how to get from DLP to the ship. Maybe if I put enough time and effort into that they'll approve the permit! HA! I'm guess the subway is going to be the way to go but coming from Savannah and a train-less lifestyle I find the whole thing confusing as heck.

Actually, it looks like the DLP commuter rail station is on the same line as the Le Pecq station. If you look on the map below, DLP is on the red line right where it says A4 (Marne la Vallee) and Le Pecq is one stop to the right of where it says A1 on the red line so hopefully it won't be too bad for you as far as transferring trains.

http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/france-map/map-paris-rer.htm

I am still holding out hope for that permit though.

Laurie

It looks like the RER A1 line stops at Saint-Germain-en-Laye. From the street map this looks like the easiest RER stop but without knowing where the boat docks I can't say for sure. If I knew about this back in December I would have jumped on the RER A1 line and checked it out.
I did post a question about using the RER A out at the dock getting in and out of Paris on Cruise Critic. I hope someone who has done it can give us some answers.

Kim and I are taking a taxi from Saint Germain des Près out to the boat. I hate having to pay all that extra money and I think Viking really should be providing a free shuttle from the Paris dock but this will be the simplest for us.

It looks like the RER A1 line stops at Saint-Germain-en-Laye.

It does look like the Saint Germain en Laye stop is closer to the dock than the Le Pecq stop, and it has the added advantage of being next to the Chateau where Louis XIV was born and home to the National Museum of Archeology (and apparently near a few chocolatiers and cheese shops and, for music lovers, the Claude Debussy museum).

Laurie

I finally went and got my mail yesterday and read the letter for myself. On day one Viking is doing a walking tour of Stain-Germain-en-Laye. This makes me feel much better knowing that it really is not that far from the dock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter