DIS tattletales

I took the point to mean that to step back and not do anything about someone abusing the guidelines set on this community is wrong, just like it's wrong to sit back and do nothing about abuse.

Yes, there is a wide margin, but I think that the point made is valid. And I think that Snarlingcoyote is smart enough to know the difference, and expects that the adults here also know the difference and wouldn't assume that he/she means that the two examples are equally as bad.

To me, the two examples are so far from each other, that I don't even make the connection between them. I see what you (and Snarlingcoyote are saying), but, to me, the "just like it's wrong" is comparing apples and oranges (well, maybe grapefruits and oranges).

Not saying those those who report posts should be burned at the stake, just saying that I don't agree that the comparison to not reporting child abuse is a valid one.

My mom taught kindergarten for about 30 years. Before a kid would tattle, she would ask him/her "Is someone being hurt by this?" If the answer was yes, she told kids they SHOULD report what they knew. Otherwise, let it go.

I think that's a good rule to follow. That whole "snitches get stitches" thing bothers me on so many levels.

The "Snitches get Stiches" phrase was used against people in my town as why they should help coverup the rape of a high school student by other high school students.
I hate that phrase.

Krista, I so wanted to report this thread just for the fun of it! ;) :lmao:

As for other posts, I don't report because I like to watch what ensues for my own entertainment. Some people shouldn't be saved from themselves.

:thumbsup2:rotfl2:

I have reported newly-posted spam threads, especially the occasional vulgar thread, but do not report other threads unless it's pretty bad. As in, an obvious, nasty attack on someone. And I haven't had a thread closed on the DIS in quite some time. :angel: :eek: :rotfl:

Sometimes, though, I worry that I'm going to forget I'm here instead of on facebook and post something points-worthy by accident. If I'm going to get points, I at least want it to be an intentional posting!!! :rotfl2:

Krista, I so wanted to report this thread just for the fun of it! ;) :lmao:

:joker:<---- Tigger&Belle

:wave:

The interesting thing is that I have a few real life far-away friends on this thread, and we don't all necessarily agree. But we don't all necessarily disagree, either. But I feel like almost everyone on this thread is able to discuss this without getting to the point where we need to "report" our DIS neighbor, or where we feel we have to be mean enough to be reported in order to make our point.

Like anyplace in life, everyone won't see eye to eye, but most of us realize that that's okay most of the time. But there's always going to be a few jerks who purposely do things that may lead to appropriate reporting by someone else, and also a few overly sensitive people that tend to freak out about the slightest little insignificant thing. Those two groups sometimes ruin the fun for everyone else. Just like in a classroom, at home with kids, at work, or in just about any setting.

I have reported a few over the past 13 years here. The 2+ year stint :crazy2: as a moderator here on the community board (long before they went to that team thing) gave me a good basis of what might need a report and what not. A few over the years, yes, but not many. And never any on this forum anymore, just the theme park board that Diane mentioned some posts back. And a few over the years I have sent a link to MJ directly, knowing she would handle it expeditiously and correctly.

Good topic, Krista.

That might have been the post I reported. They were actual crude/curse words with spaces between the letters so the filter wouldn't catch it. In my example, I used %#$* in place of the swear words because I didn't want to *do* something (I deem) reportable.

The fact that the person was attacking someone else and knew enough to use spaces to get the crude words through was what made me report it. If they'd cursed while talking about their day, I wouldn't have. And if they'd been rude without using curse words, I wouldn't have. But they were breaking multiple rules and trying to evade the filters. Like I said... up to this point, I thought that's what the report button was for. But if the mods don't want "the help", which apparently they don't... then that's fine with me.

I hate to tell you but just putting symbols in place of a swear word can get you points. I had someone report me for doing that last night and I wasn't talking mean about anyone just telling a story. I never even knew it was against the rules to do it either.

I think that the DIS has more then its fair share of former hall monitors. Some people like to kiss you know what and what better way to do it then to run to the mods with every perceived slight or wrong?

I'm sure the mods know who the chronic complainers and "notifiers" are and I have a feeling that they probably roll their eyes when they see another complaint come through. All the while, the complainer is probably sitting there, all proud of themselves, waiting for their pat on the back. :rotfl:

:rotfl2:
The hall monitors comment caught my attention. I've not been here long and haven't been reported that I know about anyway. I almost created a thread Friday night asking if there was an outbreak of:
1.PMS
2.Menopause
3.Classroom monitors
because some "experts" chimed in on a thread and acted like the kids who took names for the teacher.

I hate to tell you but just putting symbols in place of a swear word can get you points. I had someone report me for doing that last night and I wasn't talking mean about anyone just telling a story. I never even knew it was against the rules to do it either.

Hi, just a clarification :)

You didn't get points, you got a warning as a heads up with a link to the DIS guidelines on bypassing the word filter. No one reported you. I was reading the thread when I saw your post. I just want to make sure you know that you were not reported and you did not receive points.

Putting symbols instead of a word will not get anyone points or a warning. Creatively spelling a word that is filtered will normally get posts deleted with a warning or infraction. Personally, I would rather give a heads up and modify the post so the person can still get the message across.

Example: Let's say grass is a filtered word. If you spelled it out we would see ***** on the boards - that's okay. If someone wanted to write *#^&@ - that would also be okay. The following would not be allowed: g****, gra$$, gr*ss, g*#%&, etc.

Hope that helps.

(Dan, was it only two years? It seemed so many more)

......(Dan, was it only two years? It seemed so many more)
Nope, just about 2. I came on the boards on March of '99, went on our family trip and returned in Dec of '99, started the moderator thing in, I think Feb of '00, and hung up my keys in March of '02. Actually fun years (for the most part), wonderful co moderators, miss them all...I think they are all gone...and wonderful fun times on the CB with so many nice people, again, so many are gone. My trips out by you with you, Lesley, the rascals, etc were both back in '01.

:rotfl2:
The hall monitors comment caught my attention. I've not been here long and haven't been reported that I know about anyway. I almost created a thread Friday night asking if there was an outbreak of:
1.PMS
2.Menopause
3.Classroom monitors
because some "experts" chimed in on a thread and acted like the kids who took names for the teacher.

Under this name, anyway. :)

Yep, better to just spell it out and let the filter take over.

Nope, just about 2. I came on the boards on March of '99, went on our family trip and returned in Dec of '99, started the moderator thing in, I think Feb of '00, and hung up my keys in March of '02. Actually fun years (for the most part), wonderful co moderators, miss them all...I think they are all gone...and wonderful fun times on the CB with so many nice people, again, so many are gone. My trips out by you with you, Lesley, the rascals, etc were both back in '01.

It seemed like more than 2 because the boards were so slow back then and we were all on dial-up (some faster than others! :rotfl:) I remember clicking a topic and walking away and coming back in 5 mins to finally read it!:faint:

It did seem more than 2 or 2+ to me too! This was my first message board and everyone was so much fun to post with back then. I mean, "Can we get MNGoofy back yet?" ;):faint::banana: Gotta love me. :smokin:

Under this name, anyway. :)

:laughing: SaraJayne, you are ruthless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter