DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

If so, good news!

https://wdwnt.com/2022/11/wdw-park-pass-reservation-system-update-2023

RUMOR: Walt Disney World Park Pass Reservation System to be Updated in 2023​

November 24, 2022 Shannen Michaelsen

Walt Disney World may be completely overhauling their Park Pass reservation system early next year.

Right now, all guests are required to secure a Park Pass for the park and date of their choice in addition to their ticket.

The rumored update will mean guests with date-based theme park tickets will no longer need to make separate Park Pass reservations. Park entry will be guaranteed with their ticket purchase. Disney will still be controlling attendance, just by limiting ticket sales instead of Park Passes. Annual Passholders will still need to make Park Passes for the time being.

Park Hopping for regular ticket holders will be available at any time instead of just after 2:00 p.m. It will still be restricted for Annual Passholders, but they will be able to Park Hop earlier in the day than 2:00 p.m.

These changes will reportedly go into effect in early 2023, possibly as soon as January. Disney has been working on the update for months, but it will certainly reflect well on newly reinstated CEO Bob Iger. Former CEO Bob Chapek repeatedly defended the Park Pass system, though many guests are not happy with the Park Pass system as-is. Two Walt Disney World Annual Passholders filed a lawsuit over the system last month. A similar lawsuit against the Disneyland Resort, which has had even more issues with the Park Pass system, was filed in May 2022 and is still pending. Disneyland Paris Annual Passholders protested Park Passes last month.

Disney should not be so reliant on one man
The company is not moving with the times when it comes to corporate governance best practice
Sorry, this is something I've not heard about. Can you expand on it? What companies are doing this now?

Sorry, this is something I've not heard about. Can you expand on it? What companies are doing this now?
That's the headline of an opinion piece from the (London) Financial Times. Speaking for myself only, I don't necessarily agree with that premise. Business history is chock full of examples of companies that were run for a long time by a powerful individual, and run well. However, nobody's immortal. Everybody dies. So succession is definitely an issue, and Disney has a not very good history on that point.

What I do agree with is that DIS' Board of Directors have been derelict. I'm sure they all have wonderful ESG scores, but it appears most of them don't know squat about how to deliver a superior product and good service to customers. We need new blood there, and immediately.

Again, in my opinion.

That's the headline of an opinion piece from the (London) Financial Times. Speaking for myself only, I don't necessarily agree with that premise. Business history is chock full of examples of companies that were run for a long time by a powerful individual, and run well. However, nobody's immortal. Everybody dies. So succession is definitely an issue, and Disney has a not very good history on that point.

What I do agree with is that DIS' Board of Directors have been derelict. I'm sure they all have wonderful ESG scores, but it appears most of them don't know squat about how to deliver a superior product and good service to customers. We need new blood there, and immediately.

Again, in my opinion.

Truth. You don't fall like Disney has over night, this is a series of poor leaders and bad board decisions.

If so, good news!

Walt Disney World may be completely overhauling their Park Pass reservation system early next year.

Right now, all guests are required to secure a Park Pass for the park and date of their choice in addition to their ticket.

The rumored update will mean guests with date-based theme park tickets will no longer need to make separate Park Pass reservations. Park entry will be guaranteed with their ticket purchase. Disney will still be controlling attendance, just by limiting ticket sales instead of Park Passes. Annual Passholders will still need to make Park Passes for the time being.

Park Hopping for regular ticket holders will be available at any time instead of just after 2:00 p.m. It will still be restricted for Annual Passholders, but they will be able to Park Hop earlier in the day than 2:00 p.m.

These changes will reportedly go into effect in early 2023, possibly as soon as January. Disney has been working on the update for months, but it will certainly reflect well on newly reinstated CEO Bob Iger. Former CEO Bob Chapek repeatedly defended the Park Pass system, though many guests are not happy with the Park Pass system as-is. Two Walt Disney World Annual Passholders filed a lawsuit over the system last month. A similar lawsuit against the Disneyland Resort, which has had even more issues with the Park Pass system, was filed in May 2022 and is still pending. Disneyland Paris Annual Passholders protested Park Passes last month.
You still are making reservations just it's one. transaction now.

You still are making reservations just it's one. transaction now.

For a single-day ticket, sure. For multiday, you may not want to select which days you're using at which park right away, which means Park Pass would have to be a separate step there. Imagine booking a trip for a year from now and having to pick which days are at which park on a 5-day Hopper a year in advance, before it'll even process the transaction? And they'd definitely need some way to edit those for people, without further bogging down their understaffed phone lines (end result: Park Pass front-end in the app instead of only guest relations back-end).

IDK, that "rumor" reads more like a wishlist, especially with regards to early Hopping time.

If so, good news!

I’m not buying most of that “rumor”. If the purpose of park reservations is to properly staff the parks & move crowds to less popular parks, it makes no sense to have park reservations for some guests & not all. Same with park hopping. I doubt they’ll let anyone with tickets & not annual passes park hop just anytime they want. Same issue, thousands could enter AK then hop to MK half hour later. If that’s the case, there no point in park reservations at all, since Disney will never know how to staff any park. Disney has already announced that 1 day ticket reservations will be made at the time of purchase & everyone else still needs to make them in order to enter a park. And controlling attendance by limiting ticket sales?? That requires them to know which park anyone with a ticket will be in. Doesn’t limit attandance at MK if everyone from AK has a hopper & heads to MK @ 10 am. And they won’t stop selling Epcot tickets because DS is crowded. So instead hundreds buy a park hopper to Epcot & immediately head to Studios? Thus park reservations.

And don’t even get me started on APs who paid $1500 for their admission having to wait to park hop but someone who spends $250 for a 1 day hopper can hop after just 5 minutes in their first park?

WDWNT always seems to have a lot of rumors to report. But there’s always a “not announced yet & anything can change before it is” disclaimer. And it usually does.

I’m not buying most of that “rumor”. If the purpose of park reservations is to properly staff the parks & move crowds to less popular parks, it makes no sense to have park reservations for some guests & not all. Same with park hopping. I doubt they’ll let anyone with tickets & not annual passes park hop just anytime they want. Same issue, thousands could enter AK then hop to MK half hour later. If that’s the case, there no point in park reservations at all, since Disney will never know how to staff any park. Disney has already announced that 1 day ticket reservations will be made at the time of purchase & everyone else still needs to make them in order to enter a park. And controlling attendance by limiting ticket sales?? That requires them to know which park anyone with a ticket will be in. Doesn’t limit attandance at MK if everyone from AK has a hopper & heads to MK @ 10 am. And they won’t stop selling Epcot tickets because DS is crowded. So instead hundreds buy a park hopper to Epcot & immediately head to Studios? Thus park reservations.

And don’t even get me started on APs who paid $1500 for their admission having to wait to park hop but someone who spends $250 for a 1 day hopper can hop after just 5 minutes in their first park?

WDWNT always seems to have a lot of rumors to report. But there’s always a “not announced yet & anything can change before it is” disclaimer. And it usually does.
Test

AP holders will be able to pay an extra $15 a day for Park Hooper Genie Plus Prime Wonderland.

Wow I thank you for sharing that article. But that CEO said a-whole-lotta-nothin. He seriously said nothing of value to shareholders nor customers. Iger never said anything of value either, and Iger was responsible for the horrendous Century purchase and for Genie+ spying. Disney board is clamoring for leadership but who can work miracles with this company that can’t decide if it’s in the movie business or TV business of cruise business or themepark business, or LGBT-lobbying business…? There’s no focus within the company.

Last edited:
It's a shame they continue to blame Chapek to make Iger look good. In reality a lot of these changes were Iger's to begin with. Chapek was in charge for 2 years with Iger a part of that for the first year. I wish they would stop blaming Chapek when Iger should take just as much
I think we will eventually come to find out that Chapek didn't really have a chance from the start - Covid, a hostile staff originally put in place by Iger, constant sniping from Iger himself, etc. And Chapek's not as "polished" as Iger, so he didn't help himself either.

I think we will eventually come to find out that Chapek didn't really have a chance from the start - Covid, a hostile staff originally put in place by Iger, constant sniping from Iger himself, etc. And Chapek's not as "polished" as Iger, so he didn't help himself either.
I agree with you there. Chapek biggest downfall was how he sold the changes. I still believe that most of the changes were planned by Iger. The difference is Iger can make things not look as bad.

If Iger never left, I think they would still have the same issues they have now. A lot has to do with streaming. I just don't see how it will ever be the major profit holder that all companies think it will be. When streaming first came out it was mostly old movies and shows for content with the odd new content thrown in. Now it's more about the new movies and shows and less about the catalogue. The problem is the majority of people use streaming to replace live TV and expect to pay less for it. For these companies to make money off streaming they need to charge closer to $30 to $40 a month each.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter