Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Since there are a lot of good tips being thrown out here, I’ll add mine.

When paying with a CC, the store or restaurant often asks you whether to pay in Euros or Dollars. As long as you are using a CC that does not charge a foreign transaction fee, the correct answer is always Euros. If you charge in Dollars the merchant will include a hefty conversion fee on top of the price. If you charge in Euros, your bank will do the conversion, and it will be less expensive. It’s always a point of confusion. I’ve even seen ABD guides get confused over this and give out the wrong advice.

This may have been mentioned before, but your best conversions rate getting Euros is usually at an ATM.

FWIW, I sent the following to Viking and got the response below:
2) I also usually bring a travel hair straightener like this: https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441989943&amp;site_refer=CSE_GGLPRADS001_OFF&amp;gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8-iErJvj2QIVTluGCh2pwgf8EAQYAiABEgJKWPD_BwE&amp;gclsrc=aw.ds; is that a prohibited item? Thank you!

Their response:

Thank you for your recent online inquiry.

There is no problem with you bringing these items onboard ship.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Just a reminder, make sure that your hair straightener is either dual voltage (probably not)
Or have a voltage converter to use with it.

If not you can fry it, or the hotel or the the ship. None of the 3 are a good option

Well, well, well...

Just found out that Europe doesn’t change over to Daylight Saving Time until March 25th.

Something else to add to the joy of jet lag :scared:

Well, well, well...

Just found out that Europe doesn’t change over to Daylight Saving Time until March 25th.

Something else to add to the joy of jet lag :scared:
:(. Massive dislike as I am really enjoying the 6P sun is still up right now. I usually bring on my trips a plug converter and then a surge protector- so I can plug in all my gear (laptop, iPhone and iPad, and camera battery charger

FWIW, I sent the following to Viking and got the response below:

My question:

Hello, I am scheduled for the Italian Sojourn trip beginning March 24. I was reading the prohibited items list and had two questions; 1) I usually bring something like this when I travel internationally: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012ERZ7B8?tag=vglnk-c911-20; I was planning to bring it this trip for my pre- and post-cruise hotel stays; if this is a prohibited item, would I be able to check this when boarding and get it back when I disembark?; and 2) I also usually bring a travel hair straightener like this: https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441989943&amp;site_refer=CSE_GGLPRADS001_OFF&amp;gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8-iErJvj2QIVTluGCh2pwgf8EAQYAiABEgJKWPD_BwE&amp;gclsrc=aw.ds; is that a prohibited item? Thank you!

Their response:

Thank you for your recent online inquiry.

There is no problem with you bringing these items onboard ship.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Thanks for the link on the converter. My DD used our last June in Germany and Eastern Europe and I KNOW she came home with them. After that, I don't remember where I put them. Last summer was a little hectic here and they will turn up at some point but I'm done searching.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Now a public service announcement:

I happened to be in Orlando a few weeks ago for a conference and received the magnets from Kevin and John directly rather than the mail. I packed them in my checked luggage to come home and received a notice from TSA that they had examined my bag because of it. I am planning on taking it onboard and putting it directly through the X-ray machine to avoid conflict. We have had our bags completely taken apart by TSA, especially in China, for refrigerator magnets so a word to the wise.... It shows up as a metal object on the screen.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program

Chris

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Now a public service announcement:

I happened to be in Orlando a few weeks ago for a conference and received the magnets from Kevin and John directly rather than the mail. I packed them in my checked luggage to come home and received a notice from TSA that they had examined my bag because of it. I am planning on taking it onboard and putting it directly through the X-ray machine to avoid conflict. We have had our bags completely taken apart by TSA, especially in China, for refrigerator magnets so a word to the wise.... It shows up as a metal object on the screen.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program

Chris

Good to know - we are planning just just have our carry-on, so hopefully no issues getting through security with it in our bags

Another PSA: For those taking iDevices with you there is a Viking Ap you can download.

I wish the app actually did something off the ship... It’s just for when you are on the ship.... I wonder if their internet is as horrible as Royal Caribbean? At lest it is included!

Trip tip for you all... When I travel with my iPhone I take an Apple Lightning to HDMI adaptor, a long Lightning cable and a long HDMI cable (velcrosed together), so I can plug my iPhone into the hotel room/ship cabin TV to watch videos... Easiest way I have found to watch videos on a trip!

Is it this one thing or this PLUs a long lightening cable and a long HDMI cable? Sorry, if I am reading it wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-iP...0880193&sr=8-4&keywords=iphone+lightning+hdmi

Is it this one thing or this PLUs a long lightening cable and a long HDMI cable? Sorry, if I am reading it wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-iP...0880193&sr=8-4&keywords=iphone+lightning+hdmi

That’s interesting... I wonder if it lets you connect the USB to the TV or a charger.... Seems too short. I use a 15ft HDMI cable and a 10ft lightning cable along with the Apple lightning to HDMI adapter.... all wrapped up together, ready to go for the next trip :)

Starting to look a bit chilly for us in Rome next week - well by my Florida standards anyways :)

Chilly? Let’s hope! I hope I can wear my jacket the whole trip! I intend to keep my camera strap under my jacket ;)

BTW... I have an REI jacket that is seem sealed, has “pit zips” so you can open up the area under the arm pit all the way down the arm! I wore this jacket on the glacier when I went to Juneau Alaska ... they said the wind chill was 25! I was fine... my hands where cold, but other wise fine!

Tip: Use those little ziplock pill bags, rather than ziplock snack bags... Much smaller, thicker... It takes time to pack each days pills for night and day, but very convenient when you travel. Going out for the night? Don’t know when you will be back... Take your tiny bag of pills to make sure you have them when it’s time to take them!

Last edited:
Just found out that Italy, and most of Europe, will switch to Daylight Savings Time on Sunday, 25th of March! So, we will get to jump forward another hour the first full day of our cruise! It's like jet lag, compounded!

REMINDER - seats available!

Private tour in Messina: Taormina & Winery tour:

Currently booked:
- @TheMaxRebo & Judi
- @Cousin Orville & Kate
- @travelinjenn & husband
- @met19

Te total is Euro 580 - so Euro 82.86 / person inclusive

We would have room for one more as the car fits 8 passengers if anyone is interested (and that would lower the per-person price to $75/person)

Also, I have the van that holds up to 6 booked for going to VCE from the port on the 31st when the cruise is over. Pickup time is 8:45. They said it takes ~20 mins to get to the airport

Total cost for the van is Euro 60 - so the more people we get the cheaper per person it is.

Currently booked:
- @TheMaxRebo & Judi
- @Capwkidd

We have room for 3 more if anyone interested

REMINDER - seats available!

Private tour in Messina: Taormina & Winery tour:

Currently booked:
- @TheMaxRebo & Judi
- @Cousin Orville & Kate
- @travelinjenn & husband
- @met19

Te total is Euro 580 - so Euro 82.86 / person inclusive

We would have room for one more as the car fits 8 passengers if anyone is interested (and that would lower the per-person price to $75/person)
Looking forward to this- someone posted a picture from Taormina on the FB group. Looked gorgeous. A friend of mine who works in the Naval Hospital in Sicily (we spent time in the desert together) loves Taormina.

Looking forward to this- someone posted a picture from Taormina on the FB group. Looked gorgeous. A friend of mine who works in the Naval Hospital in Sicily (we spent time in the desert together) loves Taormina.

Facebook? Is there a Facebook page for this trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter