direct tv anyone?

Tinkerbelle32

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me what they like, or dislike about using direct tv. We are thinking of using it in the new house. Thanks!

We have directtv & love it! We had it a few years ago then our local cable company offered a good bundle-phone, tv & internet. Well after a year with then their price skyrocketed. So we went back to directtv. We have a dvr this time. Love it!

I love Directv I never miss one of my favorite shows it records!! I can fast forward thru the ads!! or pause or rewind if I missed something!! I 'm way from home every 4 months for up to a week and when I get home all my shows are waiting for me!

They gave us two new discounts when I moved, And we got a free sports package. That was that months moving deal!

Last year they gave us an anniversary gift of 3 "pay for movies" for Free!!

I pay $89. Total Choice package, and for 4 recorders. I skip the hbo's, showtime's and the rest. Those movies usually make it to TBS or TNT.

I love movers package, too, you call give them the new address and date, pack your remotes and recorders, and do the rest of the setting up, even a new dish!!

I saw the Black Friday Ad so I am thinking of switching over too.

I really like Direct while I had it as well. Just make sure you will be in your place for the 2 years of the contract. I moved to a new apartment complex that would not let us do dish on the roof and I had to pay the cancellation fee anyway. I miss having the service though.

We've had it for at least 7 years and haven't had any major issues. It's much better than what we are offered from our local cable company and the DVR is easy to use and you can customize your channel guide. I love that I can auto-block ratings that I don't think they should be watching on my kids TV too.

We've had it since 2006 and overall I am happy. I think we could get a better deal from verizon or the cable co., but DH is a Buffalo Bills fan. We live in Fl. Thus, we "need" ;) NFL Sunday Ticket, which only Directv has. He was going to watch the games at bars every Sunday for years to watch them.:sad2: I added up how much that cost us and I figured out how much the Directv with the Sunday ticket costs and getting the Directv worked out to be less. It is reliable and they throw you a freebee here and there. When we moved it was painless.

We have had Direct TV for 8 years. We are big sports fans and it's the only company that we can get our team's games on. Well worth it for football and baseball packages. What is also nice is that if you have more than one DVR, you can pay a little bit to have them linked together so you can pull up playlists from all DVRs no matter what DVR you are using.

We too have Direct TV and are quite pleased with it. We switched about 3 years ago when we were really unhappy with our local cable company. Where I live the cable goes out for days every time there is a snow storm or really bad weather. We used to lose cable for days at a time several times a year. Since switching to Direct TV we have never ever lost satelite for more than an hour or two which only happens sometimes at the height of a storm due to poor atmospheric conditions.

Love it! We switched to Comcast when our contract expired to save a few bucks and hated it so much we paid their cancellation fee to go back to DTV. Now that we moved away from home we love that we can get our sports package.

Works great here, only occasional outages with heavy storms. The real reason we have it is NFL Sunday Ticket/Red Zone. But really we never miss any sporting events like some of our family or friends with Cable.

I pay $89. Total Choice package, and for 4 recorders. I skip the hbo's, showtime's and the rest. Those movies usually make it to TBS or TNT.

Tink,

Does the $89 include the 4 recorders or do you pay extra for them? Do you get your internet through DTV or is that extra?

I currently have cable was was looking into the possibility of switching to DirecTV. I have cable on 5 tv's and the extra fees are tough. I also have my internet through the cable.

I would love the NFL Sunday ticket!

We had DirecTV at one point. I thought it was better than Comcast, but not much. I didn't have internet through either of those so I can't speak to that part of it.

However, I dumped DirecTV in favor of UVerse, which I like MUCH better. DirecTV started getting expensive IMO and we only had the one above basic package, with no HBO or that stuff. I also find the on-screen information and useage much better with UVerse than DirecTV. The Directv used to always go out during snowstorms, and since we installed it ourselves, the satellite aiming process is...interesting...:eek:

I know UVerse isn't available everywhere, so if I had to choose Directv or cable, I'd choose Directv. But I like the UVerse better (and my bundle is cheaper), and can't go back anyways because a tree hit the house during Irene and knocked the dish completely off :headache:

I switch back and forth from Dish to Direct. for 2 years I have dish and then the next 2 I have Direct. This way I always have good receivers and locked into whatever promo is going on. I have been doing it this way since 2000. September 2012 my contract with Direct is up and I will switch back to dish :)

We've had it since 2006 and overall I am happy. I think we could get a better deal from verizon or the cable co., but DH is a Buffalo Bills fan. We live in Fl. Thus, we "need" ;) NFL Sunday Ticket, which only Directv has. He was going to watch the games at bars every Sunday for years to watch them.:sad2: I added up how much that cost us and I figured out how much the Directv with the Sunday ticket costs and getting the Directv worked out to be less. It is reliable and they throw you a freebee here and there. When we moved it was painless.

That's exactly why we had to keep DirecTV when we moved to Florida. Go Bills (although they are so sad right now)!

We have had DirecTV for over 10 years and love it - we are totally happy with it. I wish the price was cheaper, but unless you want to switch every few years to get new subscriber deals, it's not really more expensive than any other option out there for the same things.

We had DirecTV at one point. I thought it was better than Comcast, but not much. I didn't have internet through either of those so I can't speak to that part of it.

However, I dumped DirecTV in favor of UVerse, which I like MUCH better. DirecTV started getting expensive IMO and we only had the one above basic package, with no HBO or that stuff. I also find the on-screen information and useage much better with UVerse than DirecTV. The Directv used to always go out during snowstorms, and since we installed it ourselves, the satellite aiming process is...interesting...:eek:

I know UVerse isn't available everywhere, so if I had to choose Directv or cable, I'd choose Directv. But I like the UVerse better (and my bundle is cheaper), and can't go back anyways because a tree hit the house during Irene and knocked the dish completely off :headache:

Agreed... We had DirecTV for 10 years and had issues with signal and weather. They also contract out the local techs and we had TONS of issues with them in our area- very unprofessional, had to make multiple visits when we had isses, etc. We switched to UVerse and it is awesome! I highly recommend it if it is available in your area.

So glad someone posted this. I was going to post the exact question. Our contract with Dish is up in Feb and DH is talking about changing to Direct then back to Dish after another 2 years. He wants the NFL package. It infuriates him that new Dish customers are getting free Blockbuster and they don't do squat for loyal customers. I really doubt if Dish will negotiate if you say you are cancelling or has anyone been successful at it?
Glad to here everyone seems to like Direct! It took us so long to get any TV at all. We had to cut down 12 trees so we had no TV for 3 months.

I am looking into direct tv, we currently have comcast. Do you need a phone line for direct tv's dvr's? and also does direct offer internet, or would we have to keep comcast internet? thanks..... their promo prices look promising, would just have to see how much it would be after the 2 years are up, never had dish or direct before.

I am looking into direct tv, we currently have comcast. Do you need a phone line for direct tv's dvr's? and also does direct offer internet, or would we have to keep comcast internet? thanks..... their promo prices look promising, would just have to see how much it would be after the 2 years are up, never had dish or direct before.

I have a phone line plugged into my dvr's. You do not need to if you are not purchasing PPV's.

You do not want sateliite internet if you can get DSL or cable. Satellite internet is one step above dial up and very expensive. They limit you on your downloads. I have the top package it allows 17g dl and 5g upload. It is $90/mo.:(that is just for internet) I can't get dsl,cable, or cell reception where I live. I have lived here 12 years and call every month to see if it is available yet. Maybe next year. Least that is what I keep telling myself

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter