Direct Price Increase Next?

DVC Fanatic

Mouseketeer
Just got an email about CCV pricing increase, "The price-per Vacation Point will increase from $182 to $188 on January 16, 2019." Interested to see if all other resorts will have their direct prices increase as well. I also think the point minimum for perks will be raised to 100 either this year or next year.

What makes you think that the minimum point number will increase one year after it went to 75? 25 to 75 was a big jump, think they regret putting the limit so low, or are just squeezing more blood out of a turnip?

What makes you think that the minimum point number will increase one year after it went to 75? 25 to 75 was a big jump, think they regret putting the limit so low, or are just squeezing more blood out of a turnip?

I too question why people think it will be bumped to 100.

True, the new member minimum for all but 4 properties to buy direct is now 100 points, but that just means most will meet qualifications. What if I'm a new member buying OKW which has a 50 point minimum? I think you can persuade that one needs to buy just 25 more points (50%) to get the member benefits, but it's hard to argue you need to buy double the minimum.

On the add on side, I see less people on the boards reporting that they're buying a 75 point add on for perks compared to when it was only 25. With that said I think the policy is doing its job.

Wow. $5PP increase. I wonder if they do raise prices across the board if it will be the same $5PP. I’ve been afraid of both that and the chance of direct minimum points for membership going up, so I added on just this past week.

Makes you wonder what the PPP will be for Riveria.

If you're set or ready to sell points/contracts use Tigger voice: I wonder what the new per per point will be?!?

If you're looking to buy more points/contracts use Eeyore voice: I wonder what the new price per point will be...

Just 10 years the minimum for new buyers was 160 points and back when it started the minimum for OKW was 230 pts. And it was 100 points not all that long ago officially. Then some guides seem to get exceptions and then eventually 50 became the new minimum. I'd not be surprised at all to see them want to get it back up as the lower minimums produce their own kind of strain on the system.

I think 75 is an awkward number, and 100 will be where the minimum purchase to receive member perks shakes out. I will not be surprised if it does not happen this next year, but I will be surprised if it does not happen by 2020-2021. I think smaller add on contracts from Disney will always be possible, but with 100 being the minimum for new members buying direct at so many properties, it makes sense to make 100 the new minimum for perks.

We are new to DVC as of 2018, but have been around Disney and going to Disney for over 30 years. The way Disney increased everything over the past year, to include charging guest to pay to park at all hotel (non-DVC of course), I will not be surprised to see the minimum increased. I think prices will level out by 2021 and we will not see drastic increases like this again for a decade. But Disney is definitely setting the new normal with their prices. This is also the most new construction projects I have ever seen all across Disney World at one time.

I think 75 is an awkward number, and 100 will be where the minimum purchase to receive member perks shakes out. I will not be surprised if it does not happen this next year, but I will be surprised if it does not happen by 2020-2021. I think smaller add on contracts from Disney will always be possible, but with 100 being the minimum for new members buying direct at so many properties, it makes sense to make 100 the new minimum for perks.

We are new to DVC as of 2018, but have been around Disney and going to Disney for over 30 years. The way Disney increased everything over the past year, to include charging guest to pay to park at all hotel (non-DVC of course), I will not be surprised to see the minimum increased. I think prices will level out by 2021 and we will not see drastic increases like this again for a decade. But Disney is definitely setting the new normal with their prices. This is also the most new construction projects I have ever seen all across Disney World at one time.

Problem for DVC will be convincing people to drop $20,000 for a "Vacation" timeshare, especially after they already spent $5,000 to $10,000 for their current stay. That's the problem with a 100 point minimum for new owners, might price themselves out of the average families income.

Problem for DVC will be convincing people to drop $20,000 for a "Vacation" timeshare, especially after they already spent $5,000 to $10,000 for their current stay. That's the problem with a 100 point minimum for new owners, might price themselves out of the average families income.

But they don't present it that way - it's all about the monthly payment. And that's more appealing than continually dropping $5-10k each year for your annual trip!

The 75 point minimum I am sure was done after much data analysis and discussion. Yes, they got people to spend more buying direct to get the perks, but they also drove people away from buying direct at all. The more you raise the minimum, the more you push people away from buying. If people are already in for 75 points, it is not that much of a reach for them to just go and buy 100 on their own. If you as DVC are forcing them to do so, though, you are potentially costing yourself a lot of money.

The 75 point minimum I am sure was done after much data analysis and discussion. Yes, they got people to spend more buying direct to get the perks, but they also drove people away from buying direct at all. The more you raise the minimum, the more you push people away from buying. If people are already in for 75 points, it is not that much of a reach for them to just go and buy 100 on their own. If you as DVC are forcing them to do so, though, you are potentially costing yourself a lot of money.

Maybe the idea of raising the minimum from 25 to 75 was to drive those people away who only wanted the absolute minimum as it contributes to the constraints on the “studio” availability.

Maybe the idea of raising the minimum from 25 to 75 was to drive those people away who only wanted the absolute minimum as it contributes to the constraints on the “studio” availability.

Probably more to drive people like me who only bought the minimum 25 to take advantage of perks away. I would not have given into 75 points but am happy to make use of my platinum pass for gold pass price, dining discounts, etc.

Does anyone have intel on the price increases for other resorts? We were debating adding on 75 direct points at AKV (our current home) or CCV (because the price difference wasn’t substantial). DH isn’t totally sold on the idea though. The prospect of 100 points for perks worries me a bit, because I think we’ll be out at that point. And then there is the debate on what will happen with perks - will they continue to offer them, improve them or scale them back?

The new purchaser minimum was 50 or higher at that time, depending upon resort. The 25 point contract was only available to existing owners as an add-on.

The 25 was purchased, primarily, by resale owners who just wanted the "perks", and likely already had enough points to cover whatever stay they wanted. Earlier this year, when they announced that 75 was about to become the new minimum, there was a huge rush of resale buyers who bought up whatever inventory of points DVC had at the time. In threads about this, I think I was one of the few who said they bought more points (I bought 30 two months before the 75 minimum was announced) because they felt they actually needed the points and were not buying the points to get the "perks".

Earlier this year, when they announced that 75 was about to become the new minimum, there was a huge rush of resale buyers who bought up whatever inventory of points DVC had at the time.

When the policy changed in April 2016, did they announce it ahead of time like the 25 to 75 perks requirement? Or did they just enforce it unannounced?

Every time I get one of these in the mail, I think about selling a house and raising the price every month or so. Yeah, that's going to sell that house. Why do they keep raising prices every few months? When we bought we paid $50 a point direct from Disney. When prices got close to $100 a point, I thought that was really pushing it. Now it's verging on $200 a point. Crazy, just crazy.

Just got a DVC flyer in the mail yesterday. As reported above CCV will go from $182 pp to $188 pp on 1/16/19. I would also guess that the price increase for CCV will impact Riveria pricing. Maybe we will also see a direct sale price increase for all sold out DVC resorts.

Every time I get one of these in the mail, I think about selling a house and raising the price every month or so. Yeah, that's going to sell that house. Why do they keep raising prices every few months? When we bought we paid $50 a point direct from Disney. When prices got close to $100 a point, I thought that was really pushing it. Now it's verging on $200 a point. Crazy, just crazy.

It's how they often sell new build condos. They know what they want the average overall price to be, start out lower than that to generate quick sales which causes more people to hurry to buy....they then increase the price at certain sales milestones and ultimately everything sells and they get their average price.

Just 10 years ago the minimum for new buyers was 160 points

This is why I had to start with resale, I couldn't afford to purchase 160 right off the bat, even though direct and resale prices were much closer back then. I purchased 60 resale points at BWV at the bargain price of $87/pt, then immediately added on 40 direct for $98/pt only $11 more. Today's prices blow my mind. I guess new buyers these days are better off financially.

In the real estate market, you are up against other houses. Disney is not. It's them vs. your desire to go there. If your house was the only one for sale in town, the price of it would be attached to people's desire to own a home in general. The more interested they are, the more the price of your house would be able to go up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!