• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dinner - BOG vs Ohana

I vote BOG. I prefer a plated dinner with a normal amount of food. O'Hana is super expensive and we personally don't eat enough to justify the cost. We thought the food was good but won't be returning. We all really liked our meals at BOG and will return on a future trip.

I don't have any recent BOG experience, but in our visits, the setting is nice but the food is meh.

We ate at 'Ohana last month. It's still a fun meal and the majority of the food was still good, but we were horribly rushed this time and the pot stickers were different (and not for the better). I'd still take 'Ohana dinner over BOG.

I don't think much of the food at either place. If it has to be between those two restaurants I'd choose whichever is most conveniently located for your plans the rest of the evening. In other words, I wouldn't go out of my way for either place.

This is so interesting! I have been reading a lot of threads that say the quality of the food and the service at Ohana is going downhill? For people saying to pick Ohana if we're going for food, are you talking about quality or quantity?

If it helps, we have breakfast reservations at both restaurants as well (that we are keeping), we are on a dining plan and we care more about food quality than quantity. Our dinner reservation at Ohana is at 6:30 and BOG is at 7.
Im guessing (just a guess) that people like Ohana simply because its all-you-can-eat. My rule of thumb is to dine at a la cart restaurants (order from the menu). I tend to avoid buffets for lunch/dinner because from experience the food quality isnt that great. I've had really good meals at a la carte restaurants though.

However, I will eat at a breakfast buffet though....I had a really great breakfast at The Wave on my recent trip. They have both buffet and a la cart. And as part of the buffet, they have some made-to-order items like french toast. So good! I really enjoy their breakfast buffet. (breakfast is my only buffet/AYCTE exception).

Im guessing (just a guess) that people like Ohana simply because its all-you-can-eat. My rule of thumb is to dine at a la cart restaurants (order from the menu). I tend to avoid buffets for lunch/dinner because from experience the food quality isnt that great. I've had really good meals at a la carte restaurants though.

However, I will eat at a breakfast buffet though....I had a really great breakfast at The Wave on my recent trip. They have both buffet and a la cart. And as part of the buffet, they have some made-to-order items like french toast. So good! I really enjoy their breakfast buffet. (breakfast is my only buffet/AYCTE exception).
People like Ohana because they like the food and atmosphere. Some might like it because it's AYCTE, but I personally, don't. I hate buffets (I'll do a breakfast buffet to see some characters but never eat at buffets otherwise). Ohana, in my experience, has good food and fun atmosphere. Others can disagree if they don't like it, but I don't like the place because I'm a glutton.

Ohana is always a must do for us. While I have had some not as great meals there, it's usually very good and within the last year or so it's been consistently good. We ate at BOG once, the food was ok but I'm not in a big hurry to return. The atmosphere is great though. It's definitely worth a try but it just didn't live up to the hype for us.

I don't think much of the food at either place. If it has to be between those two restaurants I'd choose whichever is most conveniently located for your plans the rest of the evening. In other words, I wouldn't go out of my way for either place.

What would be your pick? We do not have plans after dinner; we are traveling with our 1 year old who does not nap well in her stroller, so we will be back in our hotel after (I'm anticipating that we will be exhausted after a full day as well!). We are staying at the Contemporary, so would prefer to stay in MK/nearby hotels.

I prefer BOG. We ate at Ohana once and it was good, but underwhelming. You can't beat the theming of BOG-a truly unique experience.

Personally I'd rather they not do the coconut races or any "entertainment" at all. I don't begrudge them for getting the kids up and involved but honestly I'd rather just have a nice meal. The food has always been good, but I can see how the price would be a lot for people who don't live in a large city/metro area. Funny enough, 'Ohana is actually cheaper than a few local Brazilian style steakhouses because it's an all-in price including drink and dessert. I've never had bad luck with the food or service, but we do go before 5:30 pm so that might have a lot to do with it. I can see how it could turn into a mess as the night wears on.

Yes, it was a mess and we had a 6:40 pm reservation so not that far into the night. Our server was so harried. I felt bad for her. She mentioned when she first came to get our drink order that so-and-so (can't remember the name) to help her with the app and meat service and this guy never showed up. It was very obvious this server was left with a ton of tables to serve on her own - drinks, apps and meats (which wasn't the system in years past) - and she looked like she was going to collapse. She was very pleasant but appeared completely overworked. It just appears the entertainment schedule and staffing system has changed there and not in a good way. I had never felt rushed and never had food just plopped on my plate before (literally, pounds of meat that I couldn't eat just dropped on my plate). As for cost, for the "amount" of food you get, it's not overly priced IMHO (I live just north of NYC so I'm pretty used to high dining prices). I just found the experience unenjoyable and unappetizing (and I hadn't in years past.) Our best meal on the trip (Artist Point) was far more expensive than O'hana and totally worth the cost!

Yes, it was a mess and we had a 6:40 pm reservation so not that far into the night. Our server was so harried. I felt bad for her. She mentioned when she first came to get our drink order that so-and-so (can't remember the name) to help her with the app and meat service and this guy never showed up. It was very obvious this server was left with a ton of tables to serve on her own - drinks, apps and meats (which wasn't the system in years past) - and she looked like she was going to collapse. She was very pleasant but appeared completely overworked. It just appears the entertainment schedule and staffing system has changed there and not in a good way. I had never felt rushed and never had food just plopped on my plate before (literally, pounds of meat that I couldn't eat just dropped on my plate). As for cost, for the "amount" of food you get, it's not overly priced IMHO (I live just north of NYC so I'm pretty used to high dining prices). I just found the experience unenjoyable and unappetizing (and I hadn't in years past.) Our best meal on the trip (Artist Point) was far more expensive than O'hana and totally worth the cost!

I never got a chance to try Artist Point when we stayed at the Lodge but I bet it's a total polar opposite in many ways. As an aside, many people who I read post their dissatisfaction are closer to traditional dinner time and past. Maybe it's just my anecdata but I feel like they're just not able to keep the wheels on after some point. I can only imagine how bad it can be around really busy times like holidays. Thankfully, no bad luck yet so I'll continue to go. There's usually a manager around so if something isn't to my expectation, I'll be asking for them to visit my table. I don't use the dining plan so there's no "oh well" for me.

What would be your pick? We do not have plans after dinner; we are traveling with our 1 year old who does not nap well in her stroller, so we will be back in our hotel after (I'm anticipating that we will be exhausted after a full day as well!). We are staying at the Contemporary, so would prefer to stay in MK/nearby hotels.

Fair question! At the CR The Wave gets a lot of great comments here but I've never dined there. In MK I'd choose CS CHH, on the monorail loop I'd go with Kona at Poly or The Grand Floridian Cafe. These are just some good non-event places that have some good basic dishes.

Fair question! At the CR The Wave gets a lot of great comments here but I've never dined there. In MK I'd choose CS CHH, on the monorail loop I'd go with Kona at Poly or The Grand Floridian Cafe. These are just some good non-event places that have some good basic dishes.

The Wave is really good at dinner! Ive been there a few times and tried different things. Last trip i had the braised short rib with goat cheese polenta. Holy cow! So good! :cloud9:

liGK1HkFNLKhkdTUV7dbWoo6TEIcA1fLVIifRYdGOIw61v9YE_xrvJr62NpG4c9eunFUrol9qMAgZ3EdC51cS05b3LC7k0YvY1p9YDDGqvQ6WCmSI8CsyWLqZBAqUPrXBo39EY72TCw-8x32X-iiGR-49w5xld_bMyj4UuchqLGIDxOd0HfLWDsWw5JMqdmSb9i5TJKUIDUwDUUeqpGIbwo1JQkOm3TiAe2XefessxLvXQAtgzJ-hUdgXjh4LldSD2HcCJfW3KBsw0mWeVZZvyfU_naKFT8hNIUWsj9veJUllc-gUlV84B9p1l4Bwnz115njfLLzRGYNAlX0EezyI_ZJ-Hetq8zshqoSZraBa9iIxdAIuVntSc9vmgCGmPtrlwXlEAr8NiW16mxPANUXznN6smJN6OJDHRgf5PxZoZF8uvuw59jr5hpQJ77AZogrf-hNgAhXExJQWfvpfQe3uO6eW7zJHq47XEZUSlrvgxB5LRRggXdNtGmC5ctXboBmn2cTvus3QoMiWPrJmtFHJ58X5CYZR3zCTWVsctTgxlAJicBLg_NJkyJDFmXnUV-Vwy6XvAghLtvIbd40QdS3bYZirZE43XfJ3ad8TL3C=w609-h811-no

veqv0rmMAyg1RNjL0ShqY0gmLw998vw-Nc9yqIzaafyNB0OMmSt5JIlQJk9xupqAoKFRETJN1DfKlh9OXv8Z85nDuaJ7mermzedmSoDnzIzl5GIpvAql4XCT5R7Lh21xqp9X-BioE9aW__naUo9GV6k7OtQVU_fMnN9Tcql79ZKpsx8uqWFwfvs1YOP1im9fsh1cgbavTwlcHlGMnl0EP1SDBHH3RdHAqWlSdDLzQKOMh4G4aj8ZJiai7ZXURa6PVVLelDgRtWFVFMOF6WppcXRh0hbpnNHJCPgBnubfCgxHfANH1QgQCByYoQEDZTWwNNrRVH6j3xUOdzAHmzg0jXaKYRZm0cZTZTqny1Q24hP5qwoQhF6g64GD0QCRAcpYa2UY3vfhn5mJzadP3AH85KEYLZAXOTpUXsrgfRPkCsBTo0bb3hwp4UXbM1UfhpCj3q7wLmRCPTXj9jGQUI-14_Ef9ktjoM8_ee2h-bLDKdH0bmHN518Y-cmQDOTaBQMFKnjBvH6vi_-gyx0v8XeXNGbssH8Oucq4XbrHLsspTXZMLG78Pz2tx_w-KTk0EXgzIP0E6Kj5aB-pQy5hr0Emj2yEMkMuInlXLBdtKSHC=w609-h811-no

The Wave is really good at dinner! Ive been there a few times and tried different things. Last trip i had the braised short rib with goat cheese polenta. Holy cow! So good! :cloud9:

liGK1HkFNLKhkdTUV7dbWoo6TEIcA1fLVIifRYdGOIw61v9YE_xrvJr62NpG4c9eunFUrol9qMAgZ3EdC51cS05b3LC7k0YvY1p9YDDGqvQ6WCmSI8CsyWLqZBAqUPrXBo39EY72TCw-8x32X-iiGR-49w5xld_bMyj4UuchqLGIDxOd0HfLWDsWw5JMqdmSb9i5TJKUIDUwDUUeqpGIbwo1JQkOm3TiAe2XefessxLvXQAtgzJ-hUdgXjh4LldSD2HcCJfW3KBsw0mWeVZZvyfU_naKFT8hNIUWsj9veJUllc-gUlV84B9p1l4Bwnz115njfLLzRGYNAlX0EezyI_ZJ-Hetq8zshqoSZraBa9iIxdAIuVntSc9vmgCGmPtrlwXlEAr8NiW16mxPANUXznN6smJN6OJDHRgf5PxZoZF8uvuw59jr5hpQJ77AZogrf-hNgAhXExJQWfvpfQe3uO6eW7zJHq47XEZUSlrvgxB5LRRggXdNtGmC5ctXboBmn2cTvus3QoMiWPrJmtFHJ58X5CYZR3zCTWVsctTgxlAJicBLg_NJkyJDFmXnUV-Vwy6XvAghLtvIbd40QdS3bYZirZE43XfJ3ad8TL3C=w609-h811-no

veqv0rmMAyg1RNjL0ShqY0gmLw998vw-Nc9yqIzaafyNB0OMmSt5JIlQJk9xupqAoKFRETJN1DfKlh9OXv8Z85nDuaJ7mermzedmSoDnzIzl5GIpvAql4XCT5R7Lh21xqp9X-BioE9aW__naUo9GV6k7OtQVU_fMnN9Tcql79ZKpsx8uqWFwfvs1YOP1im9fsh1cgbavTwlcHlGMnl0EP1SDBHH3RdHAqWlSdDLzQKOMh4G4aj8ZJiai7ZXURa6PVVLelDgRtWFVFMOF6WppcXRh0hbpnNHJCPgBnubfCgxHfANH1QgQCByYoQEDZTWwNNrRVH6j3xUOdzAHmzg0jXaKYRZm0cZTZTqny1Q24hP5qwoQhF6g64GD0QCRAcpYa2UY3vfhn5mJzadP3AH85KEYLZAXOTpUXsrgfRPkCsBTo0bb3hwp4UXbM1UfhpCj3q7wLmRCPTXj9jGQUI-14_Ef9ktjoM8_ee2h-bLDKdH0bmHN518Y-cmQDOTaBQMFKnjBvH6vi_-gyx0v8XeXNGbssH8Oucq4XbrHLsspTXZMLG78Pz2tx_w-KTk0EXgzIP0E6Kj5aB-pQy5hr0Emj2yEMkMuInlXLBdtKSHC=w609-h811-no
Wow, that looks delicious. I'd never choose that from a menu, but having seen a pic:earseek:

We read and re-read everyone's responses and online reviews and ultimately decided to go with BOG. It's our daughter's first trip to Disney so we are leaning more toward ambiance. There are reviews stating that the food at BOG tastes amazing but we are going to keep our expectations low and if it turns out to be great, that'll be a bonus! We also figured we could go to Ohana next time we are Disney, even if we are not going to MK. Thank you everyone for weighing in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter