Dinner - BOG vs Ohana

elelele08

Earning My Ears
I'm looking for insight on whether to go to BOG or Ohana for dinner (I have reservations for both). I searched for comparison threads but the latest one was from early 2016; hoping to get some more current feedback. Thank you!

They both have great atmospheres just very different. Ohana is fun, relaxed and laid back and BOG is like walking into the movie, really beautiful. But I agree if your going for the food, Ohana hands down. Not that the food at BOG is bad (we've never had bad food there) it's just average.

Agree with what was said above. We did both on our last trip and they are two very different experiences. BOG is more for the atmosphere and the Beast. Food was good, but very small portions. Ohana is more for the food as you can keep eating and it is all delicious!

We do Ohana every time. We also will do BOG more than once (different days/meals). I love the atmosphere at Ohana too, especially if it's around fireworks time.

Ohana's hands down, we eat there twice every trip and we have never had a bad meal. BoG does win for atmosphere but I you want a good meal Ohana's.

Ohana has very poor quality food. Not good at all, in my opinion. Slimy wings, dry meat, dry potstickers....seriously, if i paid cash i'd be so pissed. But thankfully i was on the DP and didnt care. Never again. I really dont understand the hype. Im guessing because its all-you-can eat.

I'd go for BOG.

This is so interesting! I have been reading a lot of threads that say the quality of the food and the service at Ohana is going downhill? For people saying to pick Ohana if we're going for food, are you talking about quality or quantity?

If it helps, we have breakfast reservations at both restaurants as well (that we are keeping), we are on a dining plan and we care more about food quality than quantity. Our dinner reservation at Ohana is at 6:30 and BOG is at 7.

I don't like AYCTE places or buffets because I don't eat much. Still love Ohana. I like BOG too though. It has been 3 years since I've been to Ohana, but we've always had very good food. Sometimes the meat would be dry, and we'd just ask for fresher meat and they would oblige and the new stuff would be perfect. The service can be slow sometimes (which could be intentional due to the AYCTE format).

Ohana is great - especially the bread pudding! Why not try to get lunch reservation at BOG - it has mixed reviews on the food for dinner -- good but not great food for what you are paying. The atmosphere is something that shouldn't be missed. Going to the Polynesian itself should be an experience - one of the original resorts it is nice to just walk the grounds - check out the shops and try to hit trader sams for a drink prior to dinner or after. Watch the fireworks on the beach when you are done dinner.

Just noticed you have BOG for breakfast - would actually keep the breakfast and cancel the BOG dinner. I think when it is a QS environment you are able to walk around and check out the different rooms -(I would feel weird roaming around during a TS time)- I love the west wing (where the rose is), but some complain that it is too dark in there.

We have tried OHana and we will never go back there again for dinner. We also stayed in the Polynesian resort a couple of time and avoided the restaurant like a plague. The restaurant gets mixed reviews some like it’s a cult and get offended when negative reviews are posted. I see and can compare Ohana to the Pontiac Aztec...very polarizing.

We’ve eaten at both several times and I would choose BOG. Beautiful atmosphere, good food and wonderful service. We just ate at O’hana less than a month ago and it was terrible. Yes, it’s gone seriously downhill. Terrible service, greasy food and barely any entertainment. We were there for nearly 90 minutes and they never did the coconut races or the limbo. We won’t be back anytime soon.

Ohana would be my pick hands down. I enjoyed my dinner at BOG for a one time experience and will not have to rush back to repeat. I have gone to Ohana every visit. We love to go right before fireworks at MK and watch from the restaurant. They pipe the music in and its a great experience. I will never go back to BOG for breakfast but that's another thread lol.

We’ve eaten at both several times and I would choose BOG. Beautiful atmosphere, good food and wonderful service. We just ate at O’hana less than a month ago and it was terrible. Yes, it’s gone seriously downhill. Terrible service, greasy food and barely any entertainment. We were there for nearly 90 minutes and they never did the coconut races or the limbo. We won’t be back anytime soon.

Personally I'd rather they not do the coconut races or any "entertainment" at all. I don't begrudge them for getting the kids up and involved but honestly I'd rather just have a nice meal. The food has always been good, but I can see how the price would be a lot for people who don't live in a large city/metro area. Funny enough, 'Ohana is actually cheaper than a few local Brazilian style steakhouses because it's an all-in price including drink and dessert. I've never had bad luck with the food or service, but we do go before 5:30 pm so that might have a lot to do with it. I can see how it could turn into a mess as the night wears on.

We have never had a bad experience at Ohana. It is our must do restaurant every trip. We love the food (quality not quantity) and the slower pace of the meal and have always had good service. Maybe it is consistent for us because we always go the same time of year, I don't know. But if you watch the DIS videos, even the gang agree that it's a great place to dine!

We have tried OHana and we will never go back there again for dinner. We also stayed in the Polynesian resort a couple of time and avoided the restaurant like a plague. The restaurant gets mixed reviews some like it’s a cult and get offended when negative reviews are posted. I see and can compare Ohana to the Pontiac Aztec...very polarizing.

Our sentiments exactly, food was poor quality. Service was very slow and it took forever for all of the meats to come around, most of which were terrible. Love the Aztec quote...perfect! My mom had one, weirdest car ever...she loved it, I hated it!

I'm looking for insight on whether to go to BOG or Ohana for dinner (I have reservations for both). I searched for comparison threads but the latest one was from early 2016; hoping to get some more current feedback. Thank you!
I find BOG to be uniquely-Disney, particularly being able to meet The Beast at dinner. We enjoy the food.

Ohana is fun, but not uniquely-Disney enough for my taste.

If you want atmosphere and theming, and don't care about the food, BOG is your choice. The food is merely ok. I'd suggest doing breakfast or lunch there.

'Ohana has a Polynesian atmosphere, and is themed to the hotel, and it has entertainment (although, to be fair, it's focused on the little ones). Food is plentiful. I've had great meals at 'Ohana, and I've had meals that were not so great. The visits I thought were less than stellar typically were caused by a server who was also serving a large party and couldn't find time to serve my table of two. After the first time that happened, I learned to tell the server that we needed more attention.

I've had dinner at 'Ohana on each of our trips and never had a bad experience. The last trip, it started raining really hard and we wanted to just go back to the room at the Poly, so my daughter and her bf kept the original reservations at Via Napoli and we called to see if we could get something at 'Ohana and sure enough we did so we ate there twice that trip. Also, my experience was great at BOG for dinner. I ordered the lamb first but just didn't like it. Nothing wrong with it, I just ordered wrong and should have stuck to my gut and got the steak. The waiter insisted on bringing me something else and when I got the steak, it was great. The M & G with Beast was also fantastic. He gave me attention as well as my 3 year old son. I would have a hard time choosing between the two because I enjoyed both restaurants.

I prefer the food at Ohana... but BOG is not terrible and your in the park so once done eating, your back out riding or watching or enjoying MK... I guess it really depends on what your plans are after dinner..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter