Dinner---any "should not miss" places for us East Coasters?

ErinsMommy

She believed she could, so she did
I'm personally OBSESSED with wanting to go to In-N-Out Burger while in California (we'll be at Disneyland for 4 nights, then Univeral Studios/Warner Brothers area for 2 nights, then Santa Monica Pier area for 2 nights). Please share places you love to eat at. Can be fast food or even more upscale, but we'll always be in shorts and t-shirts so nothing too upscale that won't permit the dress-down. Thanks!

My kid learned all about Porto's, which is operated by a Cuban expat family. It was really a good experience (kind of intimidating at first) and not terribly expensive. Most of the locations are in LA County, but there's a shiny, relatively new location in Buena Park. They call it a bakery, but it's more about sandwiches. They have so much really good stuff. Last time we were there they were out of potato balls (with a ground beef filling), but we got the spicy potato balls instead, which had a vegetable filling.

https://www.portosbakery.com

Portos-1-of-77.jpg

PORTOS-160-of-176.jpg

Another place that's really fun is the Anaheim Packing House and the rest of the Packing District. It's converted from an old Sunkist citrus packing warehouse, but it's been converted into a food hall. There are nearby businesses too including Modern Times Beer and their Leisuretown tasting room.

https://www.anaheimpackingdistrict.com

Packing%20House.jpg

http://www.moderntimesbeer.com/tasting-room/anaheim

Around LA maybe Wanderlust Creamery. They have several locations but we went to the one in Fairfax. That's near CBS Television City where they produce a lot of programming including The Price is Right and The Late Late Show. We had dinner at Maggiano's Little Italy. I know chain dining, but it's still pretty good.

My kid learned all about Porto's, which is operated by a Cuban expat family. It was really a good experience (kind of intimidating at first) and not terribly expensive. Most of the locations are in LA County, but there's a shiny, relatively new location in Buena Park. They call it a bakery, but it's more about sandwiches. They have so much really good stuff. Last time we were there they were out of potato balls (with a ground beef filling), but we got the spicy potato balls instead, which had a vegetable filling.

https://www.portosbakery.com

Portos-1-of-77.jpg

PORTOS-160-of-176.jpg

Another place that's really fun is the Anaheim Packing House and the rest of the Packing District. It's converted from an old Sunkist citrus packing warehouse, but it's been converted into a food hall. There are nearby businesses too including Modern Times Beer and their Leisuretown tasting room.

https://www.anaheimpackingdistrict.com

Packing%20House.jpg

http://www.moderntimesbeer.com/tasting-room/anaheim

Around LA maybe Wanderlust Creamery. They have several locations but we went to the one in Fairfax. That's near CBS Television City where they produce a lot of programming including The Price is Right and The Late Late Show. We had dinner at Maggiano's Little Italy. I know chain dining, but it's still pretty good.

Thanks so much!

Tam O Shanter in Glendale is a famous prime rib house with Scottish decor, indoor and outdoor seating. Ask for Walt's table, the table that Walt Disney sat at with Disney execs for lunch. It has his scribbles and engravings and such on the table. Great food.

I’m not sure if you’re a foodie, or just wanting “California” food. Also- you mention dinner specifically but not sure if youre interested in other meals as well.

LA is a crazy great food town. Generally speaking, everything is more causal here than on the East coast but obviously Spago is off the table.

The best ethnic cuisines in LA are probably Mexican, Chinese, Korean, Armenian/Persian. Also great is farm to table fare, and wine. And outdoor dining can be just so fabulous, it’s always

I don’t know much about the OC. Universal is near Glendale which is an Armenian enclave. It would be around a 15 min drive. Raffi’s Place is excellent (get the Tadiq!) https://www.raffisplace.com/ There’s a Portos nearby and one in Burbank which is also close to Universal. Theres a Din Tai Fung in Glendale at the Americana mall. Amazing soup dumplings. And everything. Everything there is just excellent.

Between Disneyland and Universal is 101 Noodle Express in Alhambra. Cash only. The must have item there is the beef roll. It’s amazing. https://101noodleexpressvb.com/

In Santa Monica, there are four Farmers Markets with amazing vendors. Truly a sight to behold. There are prepared food stalls to grab a bite. https://www.santamonica.com/experience-santa-monica/farmers-markets/

Urth Cafe in Santa Monica is excellent. https://www.urthcaffe.com/santa-monica. Coffee drinks and light meals. I don’t think I’ve ever had anything there I didn’t like.

I'm in Burbank and I love that two of my favorite places have already been mentioned! Yes, Portos and Din Tai Fung are really good! Portos is a great breakfast or lunch option and Din Tai Fung is great for dinner. Din Tai Fung is in the Americana in Glendale which is a nice, but small, area to walk around. Portos is also great for getting a few little items to bring back to your hotel for a quick breakfast the next morning, and as a plus is super affordable. Both of these places get busy, and I would make a reservation in advance for Din Tai Fung if you are able to.

I can't really think of anything else "iconic", but near WB is a Mexican place called Don Cuco that I really like. The inside is kind of painted and decorated like the outside so you get a bit of a Epcot Mexico pavilion feel. Be careful, there are two locations, the one nearest WB is the Toluca Lake location and the other is the Burbank location, which I think is a little bigger, and honestly isn't that far out of the way. The Burbank one is also located on San Fernando Rd which is a nice little road with other restaurants and is a nice place to stroll along as well.

Also near WB is the famous Bob's Big Boys stop, although I haven't heard anything super great about the food. On Friday nights they have an informal classic car show where people bring their old cars which can be fun to see, although it makes it hard to park. Right across from it is a local-ish chain called Mendocino Farms which has some nice sandwiches and salads, kind of like a more trendy Panera Bread.

Out of the range of where you will be is the Original Farmer's Market which is in the Fairfax area (kind of in the middle of LA). It's a pretty cool spot. There are standard produce and vendors, but also lots of little food stalls and restaurants with a ton of different options. It's like a cool outdoor food court, and is a pretty famous tourist and local destination. It might not be worth it with your plans but you still might want to check it out as you plan.

I'm in Burbank and I love that two of my favorite places have already been mentioned! Yes, Portos and Din Tai Fung are really good! Portos is a great breakfast or lunch option and Din Tai Fung is great for dinner. Din Tai Fung is in the Americana in Glendale which is a nice, but small, area to walk around. Portos is also great for getting a few little items to bring back to your hotel for a quick breakfast the next morning, and as a plus is super affordable. Both of these places get busy, and I would make a reservation in advance for Din Tai Fung if you are able to.

I can't really think of anything else "iconic", but near WB is a Mexican place called Don Cuco that I really like. The inside is kind of painted and decorated like the outside so you get a bit of a Epcot Mexico pavilion feel. Be careful, there are two locations, the one nearest WB is the Toluca Lake location and the other is the Burbank location, which I think is a little bigger, and honestly isn't that far out of the way. The Burbank one is also located on San Fernando Rd which is a nice little road with other restaurants and is a nice place to stroll along as well.

Also near WB is the famous Bob's Big Boys stop, although I haven't heard anything super great about the food. On Friday nights they have an informal classic car show where people bring their old cars which can be fun to see, although it makes it hard to park. Right across from it is a local-ish chain called Mendocino Farms which has some nice sandwiches and salads, kind of like a more trendy Panera Bread.

Out of the range of where you will be is the Original Farmer's Market which is in the Fairfax area (kind of in the middle of LA). It's a pretty cool spot. There are standard produce and vendors, but also lots of little food stalls and restaurants with a ton of different options. It's like a cool outdoor food court, and is a pretty famous tourist and local destination. It might not be worth it with your plans but you still might want to check it out as you plan.

Oh yeah and the thing to get at Porto’s??? The cheese roll! So good.

That was the spot I settled on a few weeks ago. We just went to Maggiano's at The Grove but didn't actually go to the rest of The Grove. Didn't have much time (had to catch a train) but we did walk through the Original Farmers Market on the way to Wanderlust Creamery. And there's a ton of stuff along W 3rd. Also - CBS Television City was a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

My personal favorites are the spinach and feta pastry, the nutella-chocolate cookies, and the grilled chicken sandwich. My absolute favorite though are their apple strudel. I don't think they are a particularly popular menu item, but they should be, it's the best strudel I've ever had.

I wasn't sure what to expect for 99 cents each. We only got one each, and wish we had ordered more. We're making another trip this weekend and they raised the price. To $1.05.

There were a lot of people who mentioned "Porto's" and I had only ever heard it once, which was earlier today. Apparently, they announced at the D23 conference this weekend that it will be at Downtown Disney in the next couple years. Sounds like it'll be a welcome addition.

I would do Korean BBQ at least once. We went to a place called "Hae Jang Chon Korean BBQ" and it was pretty good, but check out Tripadvisor for other locations too. I'm not sure which ones are near Disney.

There is also a place down the road from the parks called Exo Sushi, which is great.

When you're in Santa Monica, if you can get up to Malibu try Malibu Seafood Fresh Fish Market. Delicious and they can make almost anything.

There were a lot of people who mentioned "Porto's" and I had only ever heard it once, which was earlier today. Apparently, they announced at the D23 conference this weekend that it will be at Downtown Disney in the next couple years. Sounds like it'll be a welcome addition.
It's really a fantastic idea and what seems to be a great business move. I think people will love it. What's great about Portos is that they have a lot of cheap and "on the move" kind of food, all of which taste great. Their big hits are potato balls stuffed with meat or veggies, empanadas, and various sweet and savory pastries. I just looked up prices at my closest location (which will probably be cheaper than whatever prices will be at DD...) but currently the classic potato ball is $1.25, a chicken empanada is $1.39, a spinach feta empanada is $1.19, an apple strudel is $1.55, and a butter croissant is $2.09. They also have breakfast and lunch/dinner sandwiches and salads (between $6.25-$8.99), and the location near me does plates with chicken, pork, or steak with rice, beans, and plantains ($9.89). They also have coffee and smoothies. I can see them being a big hit with people who just want to grab something quick before going into the parks or while jumping between the parks in the afternoon, and the stuff is great for bringing back to a hotel at the end of the night for a late night snack or a quick hotel breakfast. Plus their cakes are gorgeously decorated and are great for people who want to buy a cake to celebrate a special occasion. Also... you literally can't beat those prices. It's one of the few places in LA where you can get a sandwich, dessert, and a drink for under $10 a person. Their "normal" locations already get packed, but I can see the lines constantly out the door, especially in the morning, as people run in to grab a guava and cheese strudel and a cold brew, and maybe a cookie for the kids, on their way into the park.

It's really a fantastic idea and what seems to be a great business move. I think people will love it. What's great about Portos is that they have a lot of cheap and "on the move" kind of food, all of which taste great. Their big hits are potato balls stuffed with meat or veggies, empanadas, and various sweet and savory pastries. I just looked up prices at my closest location (which will probably be cheaper than whatever prices will be at DD...) but currently the classic potato ball is $1.25, a chicken empanada is $1.39, a spinach feta empanada is $1.19, an apple strudel is $1.55, and a butter croissant is $2.09. They also have breakfast and lunch/dinner sandwiches and salads (between $6.25-$8.99), and the location near me does plates with chicken, pork, or steak with rice, beans, and plantains ($9.89). They also have coffee and smoothies. I can see them being a big hit with people who just want to grab something quick before going into the parks or while jumping between the parks in the afternoon, and the stuff is great for bringing back to a hotel at the end of the night for a late night snack or a quick hotel breakfast. Plus their cakes are gorgeously decorated and are great for people who want to buy a cake to celebrate a special occasion. Also... you literally can't beat those prices. It's one of the few places in LA where you can get a sandwich, dessert, and a drink for under $10 a person. Their "normal" locations already get packed, but I can see the lines constantly out the door, especially in the morning, as people run in to grab a guava and cheese strudel and a cold brew, and maybe a cookie for the kids, on their way into the park.

I agree with all of that you say other than I can almost guarantee that it won't be quick. It will be like getting in a ride line at Disneyland.

portos_line.JPG

Last time we were there we ended up with a big bag of stuff to save for breakfast. Almost every table had someone with a bag filled with those boxes. Only my kid just wanted to eat it in our hotel room and it was just dinner for me. We were also reusing the bag the next day (it's pretty sturdy) and while we were waiting for the Metro bus to LA, someone walking by going to Disneyland asked us where we got Porto's.

And I found this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/portos-bakery-downtown-disney-district/

I agree with all of that you say other than I can almost guarantee that it won't be quick. It will be like getting in a ride line at Disneyland.
Very true. Maybe if you are there right as they open, but yeah during the day it is crazy. They do try to get through people as quickly as possible, and it seems that they always have a ton of employees around telling people where to go and what line to stand on. I call it organized chaos lol. But pro tip... they have online ordering! Unfortunately they took off the sandwiches but you can get most of the other stuff. And yes those bags are nice and sturdy!

That was the spot I settled on a few weeks ago. We just went to Maggiano's at The Grove but didn't actually go to the rest of The Grove. Didn't have much time (had to catch a train) but we did walk through the Original Farmers Market on the way to Wanderlust Creamery. And there's a ton of stuff along W 3rd. Also - CBS Television City was a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

Just remembering this post and also that Maggiano's Little Italy at The Grove closed. Apparently their lease wasn't renewed.

Found out that it was a hangout for actors who recorded their soaps at CBS Studio City.

n a video clip posted to Brown’s social media, Katherine Kelly Lang explained that Italian eatery Maggianos is “closing their doors” and lamented, “We’re sorry you’re leaving.” She went on to say that they’ll “have to find a new place to hang out after work.”​
Atkinson video bombs Brown and Lang, popping up behind them, and asking what they’re drinking. Brown replies, “Tequila,” and Lang says, “Wine,” so Atkinson sticks his nose in one of his co-stars’ glasses and takes a sample (watch the clip to see which one) before waving and calling out, “Thanks, Maggi’s!”​
Brown reflected, “It was so nice coming here all these years with everybody after work. Maggiano’s is definitely going to be missed.” In her post, she noted they all “will miss them very much.”​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter