Dining table off-centre from ceiling fan?

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
I am shopping for a new dining table. My problem is my dining room is very small - just 9x11 and closed in on 3 sides plus a half wall on the 4th side. I plan to paint amd replace trim in the spring but want a new dining table for a quick fix in the meantime.

But we are a family of 5 and eat family-style quite frequently. So need a 60-72" x 36" table at least. Or maybe we can do with a 48" extendable to 60/72?

Keeping with the recommended 3ft clearance between the table and the walls means I have to shift my table over a bit off-centre from my ceiling fan. Has anyone ever done this and what did you think?

IMG_20210124_214826.jpg

This is my current (very overstuffed) dining room. The plant shelves have to remain at the window and the ceiling fan is also non-negotiable (I know this makes it harder). Can't wait to repaint in the spring!

IMG_20210124_145950.jpg

Any tips for restyling will also be greatly appreciated :) I like simple clean lines, basic black furniture, and am on a tight budget so generally stick to Ikea and the like.

Thanks!!

I think I would go with the 48” table that’s expandable for when you have others over. Instead of putting a chair at the end of the table by the plants I would put that chair on the other end (on the side of the half wall) and try to center your table with the fan a little more if possible. It’s a bit hard to tell how much room you have by the plants. I’m assuming since you said the shelves have to remain there is no other room to move some of the plants to?

In the past, we flipped dining room and living room spaces. Is that an option for you? With style you could work off the plants so nature minimalistic. Bright white paint. Change out the ceiling fan. Wood table/black chairs or wood chairs/black table. Remove curtain rod. Look for new plant stands to go on both sides of the window. Something like this 552141

Instead of putting a chair at the end of the table by the plants I would put that chair on the other end (on the side of the half wall) and try to center your table with the fan a little more if possible.

This is BRILLIANT! I should be able to easily fit a 60" that seats 5 comfortably and that can extend to a 72" to seat 8 for company. DH and I will miss our giant round for entertaining dreadfully but it really makes the room look awful and extremely cramped for daily living.

IMG_20210124_232542.jpg

As for the plants, they absolutely have to stay by that window. And I have to admit, it's very pleasant to sit next to a wall of greenery. Our front window also has other plants.

BUT - as part of styling the room, I'm going to be shopping for pretty pots. DH just uses whatever he has at hand. Maybe I might just stick to mostly all white pots in a variety of sizes and textures.

We're not great at spending money and as much as possible will be sourced secondhand. Also, we are simple folks and luxury furniture just doesn't suit our lifestyle. But having a good idea of some style to aim for will help considerably in making the spaces we live in more inviting.

My set up is something like yours

But we did not like having the ceiling fan and light over our dining table

Our table is off centered by choice.

Your use of plants look great where they are

I would choose an oblong or oval table with an extender & keep it centered underneath the fan, when not in use. You could always move it, when you need to extend the table. The extra chairs could be extra seating in the living room or put in another room, until they're needed. I would paint the walls white or ivory. The plants would stand out more with a light background.

I would move the fan if necessary. I can't do off center lighting with my dining table. Just a pet peeve. But everyone is different. Do what works best for you.

Looks like it's off center so there is passthrough to the right side, it you want symmetry can you put in a rectangle table with benches on the sides and regular chairs at the head and foot of the table so that you have pass through without offsetting the table?

Why can’t you take the chair away that is north on the drawing and shift the table north a bit? Then put the chair on the south end. That would center it more.

Some great, great feedback :) I am pretty convinced to switch to a 60x36 extendable rectangle table with no chairs at the head (north) so we can have a walk through while still keeping it centered under the fan. I just couldn't see that before so very greatful for help in pointing out that option.

I LOVE your plants! BTW,it's a fun hobby to find free plant pots and repaint them to your desired colors..... I have a dining area that's also tiny, we have a rectangle table that can expand (if we ever get to have company again) and the light above is a bit off center due to space needed to walk around table comfortably. I just don't worry too much about centering it, I'd rather have a comfortable spot physically. I like the idea of an oval, that you can expand if necessary,those corners can be a pain! My table has 4 legs, I wish it was a pedestal...I prefer those for foot space! (in my house, the plants get first dibs in any room!)

Some great, great feedback :) I am pretty convinced to switch to a 60x36 extendable rectangle table with no chairs at the head (north) so we can have a walk through while still keeping it centered under the fan. I just couldn't see that before so very greatful for help in pointing out that option.

This sounds like it will work fine. We also have a table that we typically keep smaller (it's oval though not rectangel), but I have 2 extra matching chairs that I keep in the basement and the table has a built-in butterfly leaf so I can easily expand it for guests. It is tight when expanded so I like being able to make it smaller again in moments and I don't have to worry about storing a leaf somewhere.

I love the colors on the wall. I'd take the bigger piece of art and smaller one and switch them. As for the plants I'd see if you can get rid of the floor stand thing and get creative and use that curtain rod somehow(reinforce first) and hang the plants creatively off of that. It will clear up some floor space and give you a curtain of greenery.

hanging plants off of curtain rod - Google Search

I would choose an oblong or oval table with an extender & keep it centered underneath the fan, when not in use. You could always move it, when you need to extend the table. The extra chairs could be extra seating in the living room or put in another room, until they're needed. I would paint the walls white or ivory. The plants would stand out more with a light background.
I was going to make the same suggestion. Also I just purchased a Ingatorp dining table from IKEA. It is round but extends to oblong. I don’t know the measurements, but that may suit your needs

OP, based on the photos of the room, I don't think it matters too much if it's not centered along the length of the room. If it's centered from side to side (standing at the half wall looking toward the window) that's the only angle you would ever really be able to see straight on whether it's centered. The room is too narrow and the doorway on the long wall is down toward one end, so you will never be standing viewing the full room from the long side so it shouldn't matter that it's not centered in that direction.

Either way it's really a matter of personal preference. It doesn't look like round the table that's there now is centered under the fan. If that doesn't bother you, then I would think a square or rectangular table pushed down one end or the other shouldn't bother you either.

Not supposed to have a fan above a dinning room table.
Why not?

I realize that it's less formal than having a chandelier or expensive light fixture, but why are you not "supposed to"? I have seen high-end fans over tables in plenty of "nice" houses.

Last edited:
OP, based on the photos of the room, I don't think it matters too much if it's not centered along the length of the room. If it's centered from side to side (standing at the half wall looking toward the window) that's the only angle you would ever really be able to see straight on whether it's centered. The room is too narrow and the doorway on the long wall is down toward one end, so you will never be standing viewing the full room from the long side so it shouldn't matter that it's not centered in that direction.

Either way it's really a matter of personal preference. It doesn't look like round the table that's there now is centered under the fan. If that doesn't bother you, then I would think a square or rectangular table pushed down one end or the other shouldn't bother you either.

Why not?

I realize that it's less formal than having a chandelier or expensive light fixture, but why are you not "supposed to"? I have seen high-end fans over tables in plenty of "nice" houses.
Cools the food of too quickly. Not thought of as formal.

What about getting a industrial plastic 6 ft banquet table. It would be 30 inches wide by 72 inches long.( you would have more space for walkway) You can get them at Sams club or somewhere for about 50-$75. You could still you the chairs you already have. You could reupholster the seat and paint the frames a different color. Just put a tablecloth/ placemats on it if you want to dress it up. You could see if you like that size before you invest in a new table. or maybe you now someone that would let you borrow one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter