Dining Plan Watch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depends on the size of your party, too, but regardless is still cheaper. DDP is like pre-paying gas on a car rental for $20/gallon just because you don't feel like looking at the gas gauge. I'll take DDP if it's free and the only offer I can get.
It's just super frustrating to me when people globalize their experience. For some people, DDP is not cheaper or better than paying outright. For some people, it is. But, it's not universally more expensive nor are people pre-paying such a high amount. Don't yuck someone's yum!

It's just super frustrating to me when people globalize their experience. For some people, DDP is not cheaper or better than paying outright. For some people, it is. But, it's not universally more expensive nor are people pre-paying such a high amount. Don't yuck someone's yum!

Exactly this. For example, for us, it's impossible not come out ahead when using the DxDP, without even trying,. Our vacation takes the same format every year, so it's fairly trivial for us to compare. We go at the same time each year, for the same length of vacation (21 nights), and our chosen restaurants are very similar trip-to-trip. We've done TiW only, dining plan, and no dining plan (and interestingly, a combination of both DxDP and TiW in one trip, which is a bureaucratic nightmare when the bill comes - don't do it!).

We spent the most dollars on the years we did not have either the DxDP or TiW, by a significant margin. We don't try and "maximise" our use out of the dining plan, but typically I do quite like things like steak, short rib, anything with truffle in it etc, which are the higher ticket items. We are two adults, no kids. We usually do one late breakfast OR a lunch, and one signature meal each night (dining plan or no dining plan). We both enjoy a cocktail with our meal, which is of course included in the plan. Because of this, it is always far cheaper for us to use the DxDP than not having it. However, when comparing the DxDP and TiW card, the results are not so clear for us - this is because we also make good use of the lounges and indulge in many cocktails(!), and the TiW card will usually work at most lounges on just alcohol.

We would steer towards the TiW card over the DxDP usually, just because it cuts out some of the complications in certain restaurants (especially in Disney Springs) and the saving difference between the two (for us) is fairly close. But for many other families, and the way they eat and drink, neither of these options may make any sense at all!

I actually find it hard to compare just because I think I eat differently with the DDP than I do without. Like I’ll go to similar restaurants, but it affects what I order. As many times as I’ve wanted a steak but didn’t want to pay for it without the DDP, there were also times when I was on the plan but felt more pressure to order my 3rd steak dinner or whatever in a row because something cheaper I was interested in wasn’t a good value selection on the plan lol. So it cuts both ways. And I’m a huge dessert fan but I like to let my stomach settle first, so I’ve sadly thrown away half a great dessert because on the DDP it comes with the meal. Off the plan, I’m more likely to walk around for an hour after eating and get a $5 dole whip instead of the $12 cheesecake at a TS. Alcohol makes a HUGE difference on the dining plan, but I rarely otherwise order an alcoholic drink so I don’t really feel like I’m coming out ahead there. So anyway, I just find the comparison hard even on an individual basis because whether I’m trying to save money off plan or get bang for my buck with it, I’m not necessarily ordering naturally.

With that said, the biggest pro for me is having it all prepaid and knowing exactly what I’m spending on food before I go, and I will 100% be getting it on future trips once it comes back.

so, now I have another issue, lol! I've been so used to the dining plan in the past for my trips that I have now booked all my reservations as a party of two since my daughter will be turning two in the middle of our trip. On the dining plan she wouldn't "count" but since we would be paying out of pocket for her, and she will obviously be physically present, do I need to change all my dining reservations to a party of three?!?

so, now I have another issue, lol! I've been so used to the dining plan in the past for my trips that I have now booked all my reservations as a party of two since my daughter will be turning two in the middle of our trip. On the dining plan she wouldn't "count" but since we would be paying out of pocket for her, and she will obviously be physically present, do I need to change all my dining reservations to a party of three?!?

Even on dining plan you make a reservation for the number of people even if they are babies. You will have to try to modify them

I hope when (if) they bring back the DDP they’ll let you choose between getting an app or desert. I’d much rather get a side salad or something instead of desert (most choices aren’t get either) I know some restaurants would let you do that as long as the price was similar.

I don’t see that ever happening. Dessert is typically remade and easy to o,ate and get out. If apps were a choice then you will see a shared apps and dessert choices. Extending the meal w zero additional income but less income actually because the table took an extra 30 minutes to turn.
I agree from a consumer point of view it would be best. I prefer apps and rarely if ever order desserts. They just aren’t that good, imho. But who knows what they will do 🤷‍♀️

We’ve used the DDP every single annual trip. It convenient and hassle-free. No fumbling with CC’s or worrying about how much that steak costs. Honestly I would just feel weird without it if that makes any sense. Joining the watch for our April 22 GF trip!

I just can’t see paying for DDP with dining ability so limited. Maybe after (or if) I’d gotten the reservations I wanted.

So, given the lack of activity on this thread should I assume we have all given up on dining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter