Dining at Walt Disney World's Epcot theme park is about to get a makeover

i knew the restaurant in japan was getting a make-over, but i had NO IDEA that the menu/style (teppan) would change so much... now i've gotta re-think my adrs for august... argh!

I don't think they're changing the teppan menu, though. I've read in several sources that there will still be teppan tables, but the dining area will expand to include what was the lounge. If they're going to put more emphasis on sushi, it would make sense that they'd want to add some regular tables in addition to the teppan tables, to cater to those who would visit for sushi & sake and not order anything off the teppan menu.

Personally, I'm hoping that "an emphasis on sushi" will mean at least *some* sushi offering that is DDP eligible. :goodvibes DS & I love sushi, so even if it is still excluded, I'm sure I'll still order some OOP.

Thanks so much. It is amazing that they are that old. Change is good and I am sure Disney will do it well.

I'm looking forward to see how the tequila bar turns out. I have a feeling alot of folks will be seeing pink elephants...haha

I'm actually kind of looking forward to trying that. We had some tequila in Mexico that was nothing like the liquid fire I did shots of in college, and I was really surprised that tequila could taste *good*. :lmao:

I'm impressed with the amount of changes being made to WS. I've had dinner at both Nine Dragons and Teppanyaki and was underwhelmed with both of them (we have 2 great Teppan-style restaraunts in Knoxville that were actually better than Teppanyaki at WS)

--Mr. DB

Wow, I this is great! I was telling someone the other day that with Quick Service Mexi-Fresh concept the fastest growing trend right now, I wouldn't be surprised if Cantina was redone to be more of a Qdoba type eatery.

(or moe's, barbaritos, chipotle, baja fresh, salsaritas, etc....etc.)

Now they say they will rework the building to offer more veiws of the lake.

Get your table by 4:30 and eat real slooooooowwwww.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. We'll have to keep an eye on things as we want to eat at one of the Epcot world eateries on our November trip but haven't exactly decided which at this point.

We have ADRS's at the Japanese place for 8/30 (right after the re-opening) and I truly hope the tepan tables are still there!! I am alergic to seafood so sushi is out for me :sad1:

Interesting article and again we see Disney leveraging to reduce cost and liability. With the proven revenue generating locations of the WS there is nothing like using a contract renewal time to get them to make the improvements for Disney.

That's great..now let's hope they put a nice sitdown in the American Pavillion..like the old Fireworks Factory that used to be in downtown disney/pleasure island area. Great bbq'd ribs and chicken with that excellent cornbread and fixins is just what is needed back there.

Webray...we are dating ourselves now! ;) We too loved the Fireworks Factory and think something similar would be a nice addition to EPCOT!

Wow! I had heard about Alfredo's and the added seats in San Angel Inn, but not the others. Now I'm really going to have a tough time deciding what ADR's to make for Epcot in Dec!

Back in mid-march I visited the lounge at the Japan pavillion, at that time the tempura had been discontinued.

I overheard the GM talking to some winerey representatives, where he mentioned that they are going to expand and the crane had just arrived. After enjoying a glass of wine, I walked out on the deck and walked in front of the lounge to the far end, and saw a good portion of land cleared next to the restaurant (you can't see it from ground level.

The newspaper article mentioned above pretty much confirms my suspicion about what will be happening in regards to restaurants around the World Showcase. The only new additional insights were the Chinese pavillion and the Mexican Cantina.

I wonder if it will be like a buffet with a mongolian grill, sometype of noodle station etc.

Thanks for posting. I saved the article to my Disney file.

:surfweb:

quote: Hello, sushi
Meanwhile, in Epcot's Japan pavilion, Tempura Kiku and the Matsunoma Lounge have been demolished to make way for a new Japanese eatery with an emphasis on sushi, says Memo. unquote

Its about 15 years too late to excite us, but is about bloody time.

I'm glad there are changes on the way -- for the price food has to get better at some of these locations.

The only places I trust anymore is Le Celier and California Grill --- and VA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter