Dining alone strategy question

Captain UP

Mouseketeer
Hello again...I am traveling alone to Disney World in a couple of weeks.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success walking in to a sit down restaurant in the parks that would otherwise be totally sold out and asking if they have room for one. Like at the bar or whatever equivalent they have.

Would love your thoughts!

I often find a seat at the bar as a solo traveler.

However, that little "trick" has caught on and more and more couples are having meals at the bar at a sold out restaurant.

I've always had success walking up as a solo diner. I don't go during the busiest times (Christmas, Easter, etc), so that might have something to do with it. There might be a short wait, but I've never been turned away.

This is great everyone. Thank you! Can you possibly name specific places this has worked?

Jiko told me that bar seating is only for those who already have reservations and want to sit at the bar, not for walk-ups. However, I've been able to walk up solo to Beaches and Cream and Trattoria Forno, neither of which had bars, but I got a table.

I've been able to do walk-up/request bar seating without reservations at: Nomad Lounge, Chef Art Smith's, Ale & Compass, Big River Grille, Enzo's Hideaway, and Rainforest Cafe (both locations) in the past few trips.

I tend to make reservations when traveling solo just so I don't have to worry or think about it when I get there, but there are often a night or two I decide to just wing it and decide where to eat that day - that's when I'll do the bar seating option.

This is great everyone. Thank you! Can you possibly name specific places this has worked?
Yak & Yeti at AK had a six seat bar I have walked up & eaten at before. Ordered off the regular menu. Haven't been in a few years though. Rainforest at AK recently. Pre-covid the Tune-In Lounge at DHS had 50's Prime Time menu but sadly that is no more (just drinks I think)

I do more bar eating at resorts and DS. Raglan Rd at DS, the Boathouse also. Used to walk to the Wave at the Contemporary from MK to grab a beer and burger or sandwich, now it is Steakhouse 71; I believe you can still sit at the bar but the menu is limited. Geyser Point on the Wilderness Lodge grounds looks interesting, going to try that later this month, it's a boat ride from MK. Bar Riva at Riviera (a skyliner ride from Epcot and DHS). I have never had to wait for a table at The Fountain at the Dolphin, it's one of my go-to lunch spots.

Jiko told me that bar seating is only for those who already have reservations and want to sit at the bar, not for walk-ups. However, I've been able to walk up solo to Beaches and Cream and Trattoria Forno, neither of which had bars, but I got a table.
I don't stop at the desk to ask. I march right in like I own the place (or get on the CA Grill elevator) and go right to the bar. I've never been stopped.

For walk-up wait list, just like when searching for ADRs, put in 2. I've literally had it show a walk-up wait time of 5-15 minutes but when I put in 1 it jumps to 90. Never had a problem.

But I have seen people at the host stands refer people who try just walking up to go into the app and get on that walk-up wait list. So I wouldn't count on being able to walk up to the host stand. (Exception being Space220...but to stand in that walk-up line means you're basically giving up your morning at Epcot to maybe get a time.)

There aren't a lot of bars/lounges at IN-PARK restaurants. Brown Derby is a good one at Hollywood Studios and Nomad at Animal Kingdom is excellent (Yak and Yeti also great -- just small). If at Magic Kingdom, I'd suggest exiting and trying either Steakhouse 71 or Geyser Point. At EPCOT I'd probably just snack around the world or Spice Road Table is fun. And in any park, it's worth looking in the app to see what you can find available (suggest you search for a party of two - the app is glitchy when you say party of one) -- with the new policy being able to cancel reservations just two hours ahead of a reservation, we found quite a bit available "on demand" last month and some spots manage a walk-up list in the app as well. Have fun!

Was very surprised to walk in to 50's Prime Time / Tune In Lounge to no barstools. Folks were walking up to get a drink but there was no where to sit. Has that not come back? or was it a strange night?

Was very surprised to walk in to 50's Prime Time / Tune In Lounge to no barstools. Folks were walking up to get a drink but there was no where to sit. Has that not come back? or was it a strange night?
Hasn't come back but really hope it does. Would be great if they also maintained a space/line for people just wanting to-go drinks. It used to be very chaotic.

I often find a seat at the bar as a solo traveler.

However, that little "trick" has caught on and more and more couples are having meals at the bar at a sold out restaurant.
This is a pet peeve of mine - not just at Disney. Sometimes I’d like to get a drink while waiting for my table but the bar is pretty much blocked off by groups eating their entire dinner. It seems so cramped and uncomfortable and makes it inconvenient for people who just want a drink - not to mention the bartenders who really aren’t there to provide full service meals.

That being said it’s a perfect option for solo diners. But I don’t understand the appeal for couples and groups. Wait for a table like a civilized person. Have space, be more relaxed, get full service, don’t be in anyone’s way.

This is a pet peeve of mine - not just at Disney. Sometimes I’d like to get a drink while waiting for my table but the bar is pretty much blocked off by groups eating their entire dinner. It seems so cramped and uncomfortable and makes it inconvenient for people who just want a drink - not to mention the bartenders who really aren’t there to provide full service meals.

That being said it’s a perfect option for solo diners. But I don’t understand the appeal for couples and groups. Wait for a table like a civilized person. Have space, be more relaxed, get full service, don’t be in anyone’s way.
DH and I generally prefer to eat a meal (lunch or dinner) at the bar unless we are out for a fancy dinner. Service is usually quicker and drink service is definitely better. Plus we find we tend to interact/have conversation with those around us and the bartender which adds to the experience for us. We tip quite well so I don't think the bartenders are bothered and we aren't ordering a 3 course meal. I still think we are civilized but I guess that's open for interpretation :rotfl2:

Also if I'm sitting at the bar drinking a drink or eating a burger and drinking a drink, I don't understand how that's taking up any more space so I don't really understand that argument. I'm still in someone's way if they wish they had my seat no matter what I'm consuming.

DH and I generally prefer to eat a meal (lunch or dinner) at the bar unless we are out for a fancy dinner. Service is usually quicker and drink service is definitely better. Plus we find we tend to interact/have conversation with those around us and the bartender which adds to the experience for us. We tip quite well so I don't think the bartenders are bothered and we aren't ordering a 3 course meal. I still think we are civilized but I guess that's open for interpretation :rotfl2:

Also if I'm sitting at the bar drinking a drink or eating a burger and drinking a drink, I don't understand how that's taking up any more space so I don't really understand that argument. I'm still in someone's way if they wish they had my seat no matter what I'm consuming.
It’s a pretty specific situation that bugs me. Not just anyone eating at the bar. But when a restaurant is very crowded and dozens of people are waiting for tables, the bar is stacked up 3 layers deep and a bunch of barstools are taken up by people having a full meal with big entree platters and side dishes etc. It can make it difficult to just grab a drink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter