Dilemma - YC vs. SOG

SydsMommy

Earning My Ears
We have our trip for this April booked at YC. We normally stay at SOG since my husband is military. As much as we love SOG, I feel that the dining options are lacking and with 2 kids, 7 and 3, the pool is a big deal. My DH is set against the YC b/c of the cost and thinks we should switch to SOG. The cost for a week at YC is $2400 (with the military discount!) vs. $645 at SOG (which includes daily breakfast).

So my question to all the experts is whether YC is worth that much more $. I am so torn about what to do and need some advice. Thanks!!!

Personally I have not stayed at the yo but I have stayed at other Disney resort hotels, and to me the price is my factor, I just can not justify paying that much difference for a room that we sleep in and are never in other than that. I am looking for info on the pool now since it just came up that it will be worked on during out stay in may. Ut there are two pools so I don't see it as much of a problem to us, although I can not remember if it is the Mickey pool or the standard pool being worked on, my problem would be the hot tub for our 13night 14 day stay. But that may just be in my mind, we never used it last time but that was only 6 days. Anyway for the price difference, you can add water park and more fun, and those can be used on the days when you go to the park or on days you don't go to the parks, much better than a pool. Also you would be able to add all your food and still be ahead with your price from the yc, and you could add some amazing eats like 1900 park, or even CRT and still be ahead. I personally do not mind the food at SoG, to me it is the same as the park but a lot cheaper. We have an 8 yo who does not seem to mind any options at the SoG eating places, she always finds something, but her fav is the hotdogs and ice cream from the ice cream shop, or the carrot cake at the express on our way to the park. But IMHO you can walk to poly and eat there if you want and again be ahead with the price because all your food will never add up to what just the room is at the yc. You also will e closer to mk, and with a 3 and 7 yo that may be a plus, short ride and walk back at night and in to bed before you know it. Anyway those are my thought, I always look at other places, but SoG is always where we stay now because it is just so much cheaper and the rooms are so much bigger and the resort is usually so much more quiet, and lets face it we only sleep and shower in the room, if we could find a way not to be there at all and just go 24/7 at the park we would.

We have our trip for this April booked at YC. We normally stay at SOG since my husband is military. As much as we love SOG, I feel that the dining options are lacking and with 2 kids, 7 and 3, the pool is a big deal. My DH is set against the YC b/c of the cost and thinks we should switch to SOG. The cost for a week at YC is $2400 (with the military discount!) vs. $645 at SOG (which includes daily breakfast).

So my question to all the experts is whether YC is worth that much more $. I am so torn about what to do and need some advice. Thanks!!!

Worth is subjective and is different for everyone, so only you can decide whether or not the YC is worth the extra cost for you. But with that said, the extra cost would be worth it for us. We haven't stayed at the YC, but have stayed at the BC and the Epcot resort area is beautiful and you can't beat being within walking distance to both Epcot and DHS. We spend a lot time at the resort (probably more time than at the parks), so the resort is more to us than just a place to sleep and shower. The difference of $1755 is alot of money, but would be worth it to us for the location and pool. Good luck.

Have you checked out off-property resorts for military discounts? SoG uses a sliding scale, so if your husband is junior enlisted you may be getting a deal. When I was junior enlisted I did stay at SoG (under my name as DH was a SNCO). Now that I am a SNCO I find better rates off-property. My kids favorite place to stay that offers a good military discount is Gaylord Palms. You could probably find a nicer hotel than SoG for slightly more, but not $1755 more. Gaylord Palms has the Cypress Springs Water Play area on site.

We've stayed at BC and SOG. Whether it's worth it to stay at YC depends not only on your budget, but how you plan to spend your days. Stormalong Bay is an awesome pool complex, but as a PP suggested, you could go to a water park for less than the cost difference. If you plan on spending most of your time at EPCOT and HS, YC is more convenient. The rooms are smaller at YC, but there are more varied food options within walking distance. SOG is close to the monorail resorts, which have lots of decent restaurants. You mentioned that breakfast is included in the SOG rate, so you'll also need to add in the cost of breakfast to the YC costs. You could look into switching to a moderate resort if you really want to stay at a Disney property. The military discount is 35%. If your DH really doesn't want to spend the money on YC, a moderate might be a nice compromise. You'll get better pools than SOG, a food court and TS restaurant, and some nice Disney theming throughout the resort and rooms.

We have stayed at SOG, so I understand what you're saying about the pool and dining options. However, that is a very large price difference and I don't think I could bring myself to justify paying that much more. I'm just too practical that way.:) There are SO many things you could do with that $1800. I suppose if having a more exciting pool could make or break your kids vacation, then it would be something to consider, but otherwise I would stick with SOG. Just my 2 cents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter