DIGITAL Rider Swap/Rider Switch/Child Swap: In Effect as of June 16th

I’m seeing posts about people who do standby with later fastpasses for the same ride, losing their later fastpass when they use rider switch. This really messes up plans for a lot of people. Is this part of a new policy?

I’m seeing posts about people who do standby with later fastpasses for the same ride, losing their later fastpass when they use rider switch. This really messes up plans for a lot of people. Is this part of a new policy?

Maybe they are trying to use their FP in the grace period? I know this happens with anytime/multiple experience fast passes.

What about having group a and group b fastpass for fop. Group a gets rs for group b using fp, then group b uses fastpass to get rs for group a. With a too short 4 yo being entertained by the group waiting each time? If the fastpass overlap the current hour that the rs is, is this possible. It certainly was with the paper. While this may be somewhat unethical to some, so is stacking up anytime fp every time a ride is down. That is going on constantly

What about having group a and group b fastpass for fop. Group a gets rs for group b using fp, then group b uses fastpass to get rs for group a. With a too short 4 yo being entertained by the group waiting each time? If the fastpass overlap the current hour that the rs is, is this possible. It certainly was with the paper. While this may be somewhat unethical to some, so is stacking up anytime fp every time a ride is down. That is going on constantly

I had an FoP FP and ended up having a RS loaded because one of mine was a hair too short to ride. I had both a valid FP and RS active on my band at the same time. I tapped in during my FP window and did still have a RS on my band after that which I could have used if time permitted.

That said, when you go to ride, a CM could notice that group 2 had FPs already and redeem those FPs before loading the RS. I believe other people up thread have had that experience. As with so much on this thread, I think this one could go either way for you.

Have you considered the time crunch involved in your plan? FoP is always 20+ minutes per ride, between the wait, preshows, and actual experience. So, if your 4 year old is waiting through 4 ride cycles, you're talking about 1.5-2 hours of park time.

We did this last September and had no issues...rode FOP in the morning and then again in the evening.

Does anyone have experience with RS and only have the first group with FP+? My mom recently decided to meet us for a few days during our stay (she lives in FL and we wont be able to do FP+ with her in our group when we make our FP+), she will get a FL resident ticket at some point. So I was hoping we could do RS with her and swap her in after we use our FP+ because we have a 2 year old that wont be able to ride most of the big rides. Or.....it is possible to have a FP+ loaded on to the 2 year olds magic band and have my mom use hers? Not sure if that works or not. Not trying to break rules just wondering what our options are. :)

This argument is exactly why I would just prefer paid FP+. Most using RS wouldn't want to do this and keep a 4 year old entertained that long.

Last edited:

Does anyone have experience with RS and only have the first group with FP+? My mom recently decided to meet us for a few days during our stay (she lives in FL and we wont be able to do FP+ with her in our group when we make our FP+), she will get a FL resident ticket at some point. So I was hoping we could do RS with her and swap her in after we use our FP+ because we have a 2 year old that wont be able to ride most of the big rides. Or.....it is possible to have a FP+ loaded on to the 2 year olds magic band and have my mom use hers? Not sure if that works or not. Not trying to break rules just wondering what our options are. :)

The 2 year old won't have a ticket, so no way to add FP. FPs are only for valid ticket media.

Most of the recent experiences here are that it will be fine for your mom to get a RS on rides that the 2 year old isn't tall enough to ride. Not only can she get it, but two people from your first riding group can ride again with her.

However, there have been other folks on this thread that had a similar situation to yours and the CM at the ride would NOT issue the RS for the person without a FP. So, it's not a guarantee.

Today I had FP for my husband and 7 y/o for 7DMT and tried to do rider switch. I didn’t have a FP for myself or my 4 y/o, but thought it would be fine based on what I’ve read. They CM told me everyone needed to have a FP to do rider switch and not just the first two people, but would “make an exception this time.” This is the only ride I tried to do this for, so maybe it was just this CM. In the end, it worked out, but I hate the uncertainty of this process.

Everyone needing to have FP also means that my 4 y/o has to sacrifice her FP and doesn’t get to go on anything. I know it’s tricky to figure out the fairest rule. I honestly just can’t wait until all my kids are tall enough/bold enough so we can all just go on the rides and not deal with this.

Today I had FP for my husband and 7 y/o for 7DMT and tried to do rider switch. I didn’t have a FP for myself or my 4 y/o, but thought it would be fine based on what I’ve read. They CM told me everyone needed to have a FP to do rider switch and not just the first two people, but would “make an exception this time.” This is the only ride I tried to do this for, so maybe it was just this CM. In the end, it worked out, but I hate the uncertainty of this process.

Everyone needing to have FP also means that my 4 y/o has to sacrifice her FP and doesn’t get to go on anything. I know it’s tricky to figure out the fairest rule. I honestly just can’t wait until all my kids are tall enough/bold enough so we can all just go on the rides and not deal with this.
Oh no. We will have my mom with us and she won’t have FP+ so I was counting on using RS for the most of the rides since my 2 yr old can’t go on a lot of things. I hope we get a more definitive rule on this before our trip.

IMHO - Instead of having your 4yo "sacrifice" a FP one of the adults could "sacrifice" one ride on 7DMT and ride something else with the 4yo. An adult can understand the rules and could be the one giving up a ride rather than a child.

IMHO - Instead of having your 4yo "sacrifice" a FP one of the adults could "sacrifice" one ride on 7DMT and ride something else with the 4yo. An adult can understand the rules and could be the one giving up a ride rather than a child.
It's the same sort of choice others make when different family members prefer to use their limited FPs on different rides.

The 4 YO could have ridden 7DMT, or one of the adults could sacrifice their own FP and do something else with that child.

I’m responding to the multiple people above. The only reason I posted is because some people and websites (WDW prep school is one example) keep saying not all people need a FP. I’ll know for next time that this is not the case, although next time all my kids will be tall enough for this not to matter.

Disney is a pretty expensive trip, especially if you are flying in, so it is a shame that anyone has to sacrifice, but I understand they can’t accomodate every single family and their situation. I wasn’t looking for an unfair advantage and like I said, I’m lookin forward to not dealing with any sort of rider swap situation in the future. So much better when we can all get on line at the same time, do the ride, and move on.

So trying to understand the new rules....(they changed right after my last trip with little kids) y/n ???
1-Currently, you need FP+ for entire group(except little ones) going on a ride.
2- And it's digital,so all in party with FP+ would need to scan their ticket card at ride fp line.
3- when scanned for FP, then you obtain a RS,which is good for another hour.
.....Do I have this right? ***How many people can go on using RS after doing this? Say it's a party of 6 adults/1child. All have FP,they go and get RS for child. 5 people ride,one waits.
NOW...... when the waiting adult uses the RS, do they allow a party of up to three to use it?(like the old paper version?)
AND if so, do all three RS riders need to scan their admission cards again?

Ok....I'm trying amend my previous post with the proper questions-
So upcoming,one day visit to Ak in 3 weeks(late,I know)
Party includes 6A/3 kids (ages 4 and 5,very short kids)
Desire is to visit AK (have to buy tickets still) and ride FOP. the 6 adults all want to ride, the 3 kids are too little. what is smartest way to do this?
Is this possible- try for 3 pairs of 2 FP+ with overlap times,and each 'pair' get a RS (3 kids) ??? then they can all ride within an hour or so?
or first 2 FP 'pairs' get RS, then a pair hangs back with the kids,and uses RS after they're done? (again this begs the question,how many are allowed to use RS ,and do all need FP+ to get RS? (I'm beyond confused here)

I’m responding to the multiple people above. The only reason I posted is because some people and websites (WDW prep school is one example) keep saying not all people need a FP. I’ll know for next time that this is not the case, although next time all my kids will be tall enough for this not to matter.

Disney is a pretty expensive trip, especially if you are flying in, so it is a shame that anyone has to sacrifice, but I understand they can’t accomodate every single family and their situation. I wasn’t looking for an unfair advantage and like I said, I’m lookin forward to not dealing with any sort of rider swap situation in the future. So much better when we can all get on line at the same time, do the ride, and move on.

I did respond to your posts but not necessarily just you :)

It just seems that anytime this comes up the complaint is about the "wasted FP" for the non rider and I just don't think that is fair. I just wanted to point out that there are other alternatives like an adult skipping a ride that a kid can't ride in order to do something together. There is no way everyone can ride everything so choices do have to be made and every family is different. I will always choose to book a FP with the non rider to be sure we can enjoy doing that together. On the off chance I am granted a RS then that would be a bonus and if not that is totally fine as well.

I did respond to your posts but not necessarily just you :)

It just seems that anytime this comes up the complaint is about the "wasted FP" for the non rider and I just don't think that is fair. I just wanted to point out that there are other alternatives like an adult skipping a ride that a kid can't ride in order to do something together. There is no way everyone can ride everything so choices do have to be made and every family is different. I will always choose to book a FP with the non rider to be sure we can enjoy doing that together. On the off chance I am granted a RS then that would be a bonus and if not that is totally fine as well.

That’s a good perspective on it!

Also, we were in Animal Kingdom today and I had FP for everyone for Everest and FOP and they only scanned two of our bands. So this is very inconsistent.

For our family with the 4yo too short. The 4yo has a fp too because that was easier to book. Probably just do dw and two boys with her and use my fp with dd on one of the boys so at least one gets to ride twice and have dw ds and dd do Navi. Might still attempt the rs like I’ve seen suggested on tp where first group uses my card and I hold to their arm bands to get rs on theirs and see what happens. But as much as I want to ride it twice it seems like too much time and effort.

Do Group 2 people scan their Magic Bands in the same readers used for Fast Passes?

If "yes", how does the system determine which entry media to use if the person also has a Fast Pass available for that ride when scanning?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter