Different meaning

Goofyish

DIS Veteran
We were talking about Wimbledon at work this afternoon and looking at the scores on the internet, when we noticed who was playing - an American called Mardy Fish!

We were in hysterics - does 'Mardy' mean the same in the US as it does here?

I don't know? What does it mean here? LOL.

I'm usually pretty up on slang but I never heard of that one! :o

In Norfolk this is a word that is used by the "Country Folk" or older generation Mardy, means grumpy/rude and miserable,not talking to anybody sort of thing,

jules

I thought 'mardy' was a commonly used expression in the UK.

Round here it means roughly what Jules has said, i.e. someone whos grumpy and miserable, especially children.

(Lost count how many times I was called a 'mardy little devil' when I was a little lad :) ).

Ahhhh, ok. Maybe it's a country thing and I'm a city girl or....

...maybe it's an age thing and I'm just to young to know :p ;)

MARDY

Equivalent to sulky. I.e. don't worry about Ethel, she's just being a bit mardy. Or, Ethel's having a mard.

[Origin: The Midlands]

Never heard the term "mardy" applied to anything. You guys have the most colorful slang.

My DS is mighty mardy in the mornings. That's what I'll start calling him, "mardy mule". ;) It literally takes a crop to get him out of bed.

I've never heard this word!! LOL - I love finding new words, thanks for that one!

I can use it to members of the family and they won't know what I'm saying :smooth:

I have never heard of this - I can give you a few Scottish words if you want!!!!LOL!!!!

Like glaikit and scunner?!! (oh and dreich, a real north eastern word because it always is dreich there!)

Fiona (may be in Swindon now but originally from Aberdeen!)

well coincidentally I heard someone say "mardy" when we were in Manchester yesterday!

Would love to hear some more of the Scottish words and other regional words - I know cullyhunkers (sp?) A Scotttish friend of mine used to say "get off your cullyhunkers" if she wanted people to get up and help. We need meanings too :) !

Sorry!!
Glaikit = silly or stupid

Scunner = little devil, wicked person (but not really evil)

Dreich = grey gloomy and drizzling - typical Aberdeen weather!!

We also used the word Haar for sea fog, but I belive that is a Scandinavian word?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter