Did you go out for pizza as a kid?

I grew up in the 70s and we would get pizza occasionally. It was always Pizza Hut or Dominos. Maybe there weren't any local places t in our town at that time? Not sure. I remember going to McDonald's more than anything (before the all-white meat McNuggets). Or after church we'd go to Abdow's, if we were lucky.

We had fish and chip nights. We have the expression “cheap as chips” here for a reason ;) Plus, it’s just a staple British food. We do love pizzas but tend to only have them when eating out for a special occasion or when on holiday.

Showbiz Pizza, Chuck E Cheese bought them out View attachment 304267
Thats not exactly right, in 1984, Pizza Time Theatre Inc. filed for Chapter 11. Showbiz Pizza Place Inc. bought them out. both companies merged and became Showbiz Pizza Time Inc. in 1989, Showbiz Pizza Time Inc. went to Creative Engineering Inc (the company that made The Rock-afire Explosion) and said "we're gonna go full CEC. but if you give us the rights to the Rock-afire, we might let you characters live." and Aaron Fetcher (founder and CEO of Creative Engineering Inc) siad something that roughly translates to "***k no."

We would occasionally go to Pizza Hut or Showbiz or a locally owned place that did great cheesesteaks and pizza.

My sister worked at a pizza place so she would bring it home sometimes.

when I was working we had a couple pizza places we would go to. But as a kid we didn’t go out to eat much.

My mom made homemade pizza, including crust, from scratch, so no. I remember one time we ordered delivery because it was such a rare thing. We didn’t eat out unless we were on vacation, and I am still that way.

Also, you cant forget the days when Chuck E. Cheese's was actually fun:

Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre.

I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s. There was only 1 pizza place in town back then. Now there’s one everywhere you look. I don’t recall ever having take out pizza and we rarely went to restaurants. My mom would get the Chef Boyardee pizza kit that came with a packet of crust mix, sauce and Parm cheese and make pizzas for us.

A zombie pizza thread!
When I was kid we used to go to Organ Stop Pizza where they had a full pipe organ and an organist who played once a hour or so and everyone sang along. We also used to go to Shakey’s Pizza which had a projected sing along. I’m sensing a theme here. 😁

YES, in the 1960's there was a tiny, corner on the street restaurant in the heart of the city that my parents liked. My earliest memory of going out to eat for pizza.

80's kid here. I recall going to Pizza Hut for sure, maybe Dominos. I want to say we only did Dominoes by delivery and Pizza Hut via dine-in.
Only a few memories of Chuck E Cheese. This type of place being the inspiration behind Five Fingered Freddy's or whatever.
I think I still have a Chuck E Cheese token someplace. And the memories of playing Dragon's Lair and never winning.

I have fond memories of going to the Pizza Time Theatre, I went to the original back in '77, though I don't remember much, just little snippets, eating the pizza, pumping tokens into Barrel Pong cabinet, watching the show... i have more memories of going in the 80's, an to Showbiz Pizza Place.

Pizza Hut was one of the hangouts when I was a teen back in the 70's, so I was there a lot. The other hangout in town was the A&W. There was something about the frosted mugs of root beer that was the closest thing you could get to a real beer before you turned 19 (that was the drinking age back in the day). A while later the Peter Piper opened up which was kinda of like Chuck E. Cheese with games and stuff, but the pizza was better.

A zombie pizza thread!
When I was kid we used to go to Organ Stop Pizza where they had a full pipe organ and an organist who played once a hour or so and everyone sang along. We also used to go to Shakey’s Pizza which had a projected sing along. I’m sensing a theme here. 😁
talk about zombies....82nd street was full of zombies.

A zombie pizza thread!

That brought back an old AZ memory!! I forgot all about Organ Stop Pizza.

Remember the old Rawhide that was in north Scottsdale? Going that far north back in the 80's was so far away. :laughing:

The thing is, if you look back in the day at The Pizza Time Theatre, people didn't exactly come there for the pizza. They came there for the show. back in the 70's, a single Pizza Time Theatre would pull in almost half a million dollars a year, and customers would cue up for an hour just to get INSIDE. Look at Chuck E. Cheese nowadays... It looks washed out... a shadow of its former glory. Now I'm just an old guy who misses their childhood... But... looking back on these old places, I know i was very lucky to even go to a Pizza Time Theatre... my family wasn't POOR but... we were not exactly making 6 figures...

That brought back an old AZ memory!! I forgot all about Organ Stop Pizza.

Remember the old Rawhide that was in north Scottsdale? Going that far north back in the 80's was so far away. :laughing:
I do remember Rawhide. I also remember the Pink Pony, Sugar Bowl, and the Stockyard restaurants. I think those are all gone now.

I do remember Rawhide. I also remember the Pink Pony, Sugar Bowl, and the Stockyard restaurants. I think those are all gone now.

I don't remember going to the Stockyard, but it sounds familiar.

Sugar Bowl is still there. Saw friends post pics on Facebook not long ago. That was very close to where I lived. Lots of memories of that place. :love: Hitting Harkins Theater at Scottsdale Civic Center then going the Sugar Bowl for dessert!

A zombie pizza thread!

I was a kid in the 60s and my family went to Shakey's on the regular. They had a player piano that played along with the projected words for the sing along, and glass windows to the kitchen with little wooden stools so kids could get up high enough to watch them toss the pizza crusts! It was so much fun.

I don't remember going to the Stockyard, but it sounds familiar.

Sugar Bowl is still there. Saw friends post pics on Facebook not long ago. That was very close to where I lived. Lots of memories of that place. :love: Hitting Harkins Theater at Scottsdale Civic Center then going the Sugar Bowl for dessert!

If you had gone to the Stockyards you would remember. It was very near the actual cattle stockyards and when the wind blew in the right direction it was “eau de manure”. 😖 The steaks were great, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter