Did Aulani Blow You Away?

Those GV's are awesome!!! We've been fortunate to go to Aulani 5 times now and had a GV each time. :)
Thats great. you either have alot of points or you are a good saver upper of points. We have 460 a year and seem to never have enough. We will be back to Aulani in a GV if we have to buy more points.

Thats great. you either have alot of points or you are a good saver upper of points. We have 460 a year and seem to never have enough. We will be back to Aulani in a GV if we have to buy more points.
Well, we do have a lot of points. But we also have DVC friends who travel with us so we can pool our points to stay longer.

Never stayed in a GV before but it looks wonderful. We have only stayed in 1 bdrms (with a 2 bdrm reserved for June 23) but love the resort.

We (2 adults: late 20's and early 30's - no kids) loved it so much we came back 6 months after our first visit (I was checking flights while I was still there!). Beautiful resort on a beautiful island! Rent a car and go exploring. We enjoyed having non-Aulani days exploring the island and then having relaxing resort days to bookend the busy mid-week. I'm not a huge fan of the Poly but Aulani was fantastic. I can't wait to go back!

We did 8 nights the first trip and 7 the second. If I didn't have pets at home I needed to get back to I would happily stay longer. My only complaint about Aulani is food. There isn't enough quality/variety. We usually left the resort to eat. We live in a city so I have no desire to stay in Waikiki, we drive over to shop for a few hours and that is plenty.

Last edited:
I’m a DVC owner and have been blessed by staying at the Deluxe resorts in Disneyworld. I’m debating a trip to Aulani and other then Pete singing it’s praises, I wanted to hear from fellow travelers especially if you are used to staying Deluxe at WDW. Did Aulani blow you away? Did it wow you and make you not want to leave?

My favorite resort is the Polynesian so from what I’ve seen, Aulani should be right up my alley.
Also, I only have 4 nights planned to be in Hawaii so any first timer tips would be appreciated.

P.S : Does Aulani NOT have tiki torches lit all over the resort?? It’s one of my favorite parts about the Polynesian.

View attachment 677780
We have been twice and will go again.

I’m a DVC owner and have been blessed by staying at the Deluxe resorts in Disneyworld. I’m debating a trip to Aulani and other then Pete singing it’s praises, I wanted to hear from fellow travelers especially if you are used to staying Deluxe at WDW. Did Aulani blow you away? Did it wow you and make you not want to leave?

My favorite resort is the Polynesian so from what I’ve seen, Aulani should be right up my alley.
Also, I only have 4 nights planned to be in Hawaii so any first timer tips would be appreciated.

P.S : Does Aulani NOT have tiki torches lit all over the resort?? It’s one of my favorite parts about the Polynesian.

View attachment 677780
I just recently returned from a 5 day 4 night trip, first time to Aulani and Hawaii. Its more Animal Kingdom Lodge like , not Polynesian. There were some tiki torches out in front and a couple in the miidle of the courtyard but rare. The lighting though is absolutely stellar, nice yellow orangish lighting EVERYWHERE. First impressions was BEAUTIFUL but not blow me away because at WDW im used to the big lobbies that make a huge first impression. Aulani lobby is smaller, But as you explore Aulani, its grandness takes over, so many paths and trees and greenery and bridges . Its like a trail of Animal Kingdom placed outside Animal Kingdom Lodge and then the ocean instead of a savannah.
I looked at other hotels like the 4 seasons and some of the Waikiki hotels, Aulani is the place to be. So cozy and nice to come back to after a day exploring the island. It BECAME home and grew on us as the days went on. However, WDW and the Poly still beat Hawaii & Aulani for me.

Yes Aulani blew me away. Before my first, I figured Aulani would be one and done because beach vacations are not my preferences versus Disney theme parks or national parks. Now I want to go annually and I bought a DVC contract for Aulani. The elements which blew me away were the ocean view room, choices of characters, lazy river, merchandise, hidden menehunes, and atmosphere of the resort at night. I liked the lobby but it didn't blow me away like the lobby at Poly, AKL, WL, or GC.

I had built Aulani up so much on my first trip it didn’t blow me away. But we did have a great trip which with the benefit of time I think 7 days in Hawaii at Aulani was my favourite holiday ever.

We went back on a stop over on our way to WDW (from Australia) and the second time it did blow me away.

Its more Animal Kingdom Lodge like , not Polynesian.
I agree, Joe Rohde’s touch emanates from both AK and Aulani. We travelled from Aulani to Jambo House on our last trip and the two are so similar, but with different themes and the cast members love and care for Aulani sets it apart. It’s 10 years old now but doesn’t seem it anywhere. I know Jambo house is older but mid-refurb in 2019 it was really showing compared to Aulani which is very well maintained.

It did in fact blow my wife and I away. We love the lazy river and the lagoons, the latter being great for swimming, snorkeling and stand up paddle boarding. We also love the ocean view, the one bedrooms, the stargazing, and that amazing walkway by the beach down to the Marriott Ko Olina. After our first trip, we bought enough points to stay there for two weeks twice a year. We book one trip with our 11 month advantage, and the other at 7 months using some of our WDW points.

I love the other Peter Dominick designed Disney Resorts (Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Californian) so I was expecting the same level of character. While Hawai'ian themed, Aulani doesn't have the expansive lobby, the cozy "hidden" nooks, and the resort-wide related art piece displays of the aforementioned Disney resorts. It seems like the emphasis was shifted to the outdoor design, which I guess makes sense for a beach resort.

I love the other Peter Dominick designed Disney Resorts (Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Californian) so I was expecting the same level of character. While Hawai'ian themed, Aulani doesn't have the expansive lobby, the cozy "hidden" nooks, and the resort-wide related art piece displays of the aforementioned Disney resorts. It seems like the emphasis was shifted to the outdoor design, which I guess makes sense for a beach resort.
Wow that... is certainly a take. I've heard many complaints about Aulani but "the lobby is insufficiently themed" is not one of them.

Wow that... is certainly a take. I've heard many complaints about Aulani but "the lobby is insufficiently themed" is not one of them.
Totally agreed. And as much as I love the Peter Dominick resorts, there is a certain sameness to those huge lobby spaces. I’m glad the design wasn’t cloned for Aulani, which is stunning in its own right.

Totally agreed. And as much as I love the Peter Dominick resorts, there is a certain sameness to those huge lobby spaces. I’m glad the design wasn’t cloned for Aulani, which is stunning in its own right.

and also the rooms at the grand cal are awful

Perhaps you mistake my meaning. The other Peter Dominick resorts are more explorable, with more hidden gems. Aulani has no quiet room spaces such as the Sunset overlook at AKL or the small lounges with fireplaces above the entrance at WL. Just a couple of generic chairs and a table in the open space by the elevators. AKL and WL have African and Native American handicrafts displayed throughout. While there is a painting on each elevator lobby wall and Hawai'ian themed paintings in the lobby, the only Polynesian artifacts I saw at Aulani were in a small case in the lobby area. Not saying that Aulani was insufficient for what it was, it just wasn't on the same design level for me as the other Peter Dominick resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter