Destash 2023 Use it or lose it

I finished January solidly with the laundry room and pantry. Broke down and got some things to actually organize it (seems counter productive to decluttering) and it's made a huge difference in actually seeing what we have and keeping things organized so I don't lose stuff everywhere only to find it 2 years past the best by date.
• I probably got rid of 2 trash bags of stuff from the pantry and 1 bag of random stuff was either gotten rid of or moved to the appropriate place from the laundry room.

I'm switching garage and play room this month. The kids trashed the play room and I've had enough so I've started to purge in there. Plus it's way too cold to be messing around in the garage, so I'll move that to March and bump everything else down a month thru July.
• So far, 2 trash bags of trash and one small box of no longer used toys ready to go for the curb.

Time to get back on track with decluttering here. So I straightened a linen shelf & was able to trash 3 sheets, 10 pillowcases, a small hand towel, a decorative bar of soap & an unused bottle of body spray. Found a bag of some really old baby clothes in the basement storage area. DD is 38, so yea, that bag has been there awhile. Trashed 5 outfits & a small poncho that was also in the bag. Also trashed an old kitchen wall knick knack.

Almost forgot, I had a bag with all the Christmas receipts & packaging hanging out in the spare bedroom. All the receipts were shredded & all the bags went into the trash.

Last edited:
Decided to declutter some stuff in my own basement. Took one load to goodwill. Stuff out to garbage. Shared some toys with a kid we know.
And gave a xl twin bed topper to coworker.
2 copy boxes of old receipt papers prior to 7 years- out.
SIL wants a couple of items.

This is the last year of college for last kid. I think all the saved math and physic books/ folders/completed work. Might get to leave this year.

I have a load of Lego Duplo that I would love to get into the hands of kids that would actually play with them. I just don’t know how to find a place that would use them, not just sell them.

I’ve got a bunch of My little pony figures that I also need to unload. Going to try and sort through them and list on Mercari I think.
My DIL belongs to a Buy Nothing Group, maybe on FB? They really don’t buy their son toys, just get them through the group. They plan to just cycle through age appropriate toys. They also got my other son an older big screen tv. It’s on the heavier side, but works fine for him.

I scheduled a pick up for Wednesday.
It’s just one bag with 11 clothing items from ds and 7 Knick knacks from me
Also got rid of espresso machine and gave it to ds friend because Dh didn’t really use it.

Goal Tracker:

58 of 500
items were either sold, donated, thrown out, given away, used or lost.

Sold: 9

Donated: 38

Threw Out: 7

Gave to Someone: 0

Used: 4

Lost: 0

Listing Progress:

Listed Online: 34 items

To List Online: 565 items

Reality Check:
Added to Clutter: 0 items

I'm remembering to update this week (yay me), but I've not done well. This weekend is a long weekend, and I'm hoping to go through some things.

Clothes - 1
Books - 1
Products used up or given away - 2

Total: 400/500 Items

Goal Tracker:
60 of 500

Sold: 9

Donated: 38

Threw Out: 9

Listing Progress:

Listed Online: 34 items

To List Online: 606 items

Reality Check:

Much like Jan, Feb was a slow decluttering month but at least a few items left the house! Slow progress is still progress!

1 partial mini sticky note pad - used up

1 bad CO2 detector - recycled
4 unneeded/expired medications - recycled
1 grocery bag of misc paperwork - shredded and recycled

9 expired items (2020/21) from baking pantry - trashed
1 pair of shoes - trashed
1 T-Shirt - trashed
1 dead pen - trashed
1 dog toy stuffie (beyond repair) - trashed

20 items total this month left the house
48 of 500 total or 9.6% of goal

Goal Tracker:
60 of 500

Sold: 10

Donated: 68

Threw Out: 9

Listing Progress:

Listed Online: 35 items

To List Online: 605 items

Reality Check:

I’ve spent the last 2 weekends helping my DD move into her significant others townhome. She’s been out on her own for 13 years & he’s been in this home for 2. So really they needed to consolidate 2 households into 1. Her stuff is much older than his so a lot of hers needed to go. Over the last 2 weeks we’ve donated: 2 boxes of books to the library; 6 bags of clothes; 1 set of Corelle dishes, 12 glasses; 1 set pots & pans; a toaster; kitchen storage containers, 1 box miscellaneous items like picture frames & decorative items & a large box filled with handbags. Her furniture was 11- 14 years old & most was trashed: couch & arm chair, dresser; mattress set, cafe table & 2 chairs, along with multiple bags of bed linens; worn towels; shower curtains; odds & ends from kitchen; costume jewelry; a shoe rack; and bags of worn or outdated clothes. A relative took a bookshelf & coffee table. She also took 3 lamps, a ceramic dish set, a silverware set and another box with kitchen items. Her son recently bought his 1st house so she thought he might want those. If he doesn’t, she is bringing them to the shelter for homeless & runaway teens. They use those things for kids as they set them up in their own apartments. At least 3 trash bags went to recycling & I shredded 7 years of insurance paperwork. So unfortunately I haven’t worked on anything at my own house. But seeing how much “stuff” is in a small apartment, it again reinforces my desire to get rid of stuff here. Got to get going again!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter