Denied a DAS pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suellen, You may have been given leeway because you were chaperoning a field trip, or maybe you simply encountered a CM willing to bend the rules. But it is clearly indicated that the DAS is to accommodate the person to whom it is issued and that person must ride. It's not a perfect system, as your scenario shows, but those are Disney's rules and you agreed to them when you accepted and signed for the DAS.

I have it in my hand and have read it about 15 times in the last few minutes. No where does it say that the DAS holder MUST ride. Everyone keeps saying it is a rule... but it isn't stated on the card anywhere.

I have it in my hand and have read it about 15 times in the last few minutes. No where does it say that the DAS holder MUST ride. Everyone keeps saying it is a rule... but it isn't stated on the card anywhere.

It says so here

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

Under the question of getting a return time. Don't you also have to sign paperwork when you get the card? It would be there as well.

The entire point of having a picture in the card is to ensure the person the card is for is the one using it.

It also indicates it here: https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...Disability-Access-Service-Card-2014-04-10.pdf
which reads:
• Another member of your travel party may obtain a return time, but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his/her party.

What I said was "30-45 minutes," not "20 minutes." What I'm hearing is that her reason for requesting the DAS pass is invalid and she's being unrealistic for considering it a need of hers. I don't think her traveling habits are relevant, but yes, we drive and stop every 30-45 minutes. I never said it was convenient. My point is that Disney's DAS would make it a more enjoyable vacation and she would get to do more things - there's a huge difference between a 120-minute standby line and a 30-minute fast pass line. As far as everybody pushing the diaper thing, her issue isn't really about accidents, it's about severe pain and risk of serious kidney infection if she waits too long. And she's pregnant, so I'm not even sure diapers will fit her (uh, do they make maternity Depends?), and an infection would endanger the baby's life. So there's that. Poise is the only real possibility as far as protection goes. There are obviously things that we will have to just forego, but the DAS would cut down that list. I'm sure you all know how expensive WDW is, and we want to be able to make the most of our trip despite a disability. I just feel really bad for her and I was hoping for some encouraging tips. Thank you to the people who gave kind and non-critical answers.

I think based on getting the rest of the story I would highly recommend not doing a Disney vacation if all you want to concentrate on are the headliner attractions with long waits. You have to go into this with the idea that you will get your 3 fastpass plus and possibly a few more depending on your tour strategy. If you can live with that plan then you might be able to pull it off; otherwise, don't go.

I really feel this needs to be discussed with her doctor.

I really feel there will be other chances for a Disney trip in the future. There's no real rush for doing this right now.

That's exactly how it is. If you use the DAS to access the ride, then the person who the DAS was assigned to HAS to ride.

Wait a minute, the point IS NOT so that WE won't have to stand in the lines - the rest of us are perfectly capable of waiting within the queue. For the big things that she can't ride, the rest of us will just be standing in the regular line. For anything she can't ride, obviously we will be waiting in the regular line. We don't have any need for the DAS unless she's with us! I wish people wouldn't be so cynical and mean. I didn't do anything to deserve the uncharitable assumptions. We're not trying to use her illness as a workaround - it's simply so SHE can get to do the things she's able to without a lot of extra hassle and risk. Her doctors are aware and they have said she will be fine if she stays hydrated and has frequent bathroom access, and her doctor has written her a note to that effect - in case Disney is willing to look at it. The last CM I spoke to said to bring a doctor's note, so that's what she'll be doing.

I realize that this comment wasn't directed at me, but similar ones have been. Sorry Kellykins, I wasn't trying to call you out or anything.

Wait a minute, the point IS NOT so that WE won't have to stand in the lines - the rest of us are perfectly capable of waiting within the queue. For the big things that she can't ride, should they have longer wait times, the rest of us will just be standing in the regular line. I wish people wouldn't be so cynical and mean. I didn't do anything to deserve the uncharitable assumptions. We're not trying to use her illness as a workaround - it's simply so SHE can get to do the things she's able to without a lot of extra hassle and risk. Her doctors are aware and they have said she will be fine if she stays hydrated and has frequent bathroom access, and her doctor has written her a note to that effect - in case Disney is willing to look at it. The last CM I spoke to said to bring a doctor's note, so that's what she'll be doing.

That's person was responding to someone else entirely. You're taking it out if context.

You don't need a doctor note and it states as much in the links provided above. They don't require it and they won't look at it.

So the DAS would be for you guys is basically what you are saying? Because the vast Majority and i would be willing to bet 95% of the rides she would need a DAS for, she shouldnt be on if shes pregnant.

What on Earth? Why am I being met with such unkindness? I asked a simple question and I was looking for help and advice, not criticism. Please read my previous post. We are frequent visitors to Disney World, but we have always tried going on the off-season to avoid the larger summer crowds. It has been a really long time since we've been there in the summer and we're not really sure what to expect. For example, the Toy Story ride and the Peter Pan ride aren't on the list of things pregnant women can't ride, but they often (even in the off-season) have very long lines. And July is the only time this year that our family can go, her doctors have cleared her for the trip, and she really wants to be able to take her daughter to WDW before her baby is born. Please, why do you have to attack me?

It says so here

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

Under the question of getting a return time. Don't you also have to sign paperwork when you get the card? It would be there as well.

The entire point of having a picture in the card is to ensure the person the card is for is the one using it.

Nope. Just the card ~ which doesn't state it. Anyway... like I said it isn't a typical thing for us.... but how it happened once and the CM's were fine with it...I didn't try to hide it or sneak off or anything. I had to stand in the queue with them (which is the problem anyway not the wait time). I've had it since 04/04 and used it for all of a whopping 4 times since then (Splash, Jungle Cruise, Kali and the Safari). So I'm not an abuser of it.

Also to be clear OP was accused of planning to use the card in this manner.... she didn't take anything out of context though may have quoted the wrong poster.

What on Earth? Why am I being met with such unkindness? I asked a simple question and I was looking for help and advice, not criticism. Please read my previous post. We are frequent visitors to Disney World, but we have always tried going on the off-season to avoid the larger summer crowds. It has been a really long time since we've been there in the summer and we're not really sure what to expect. For example, the Toy Story ride and the Peter Pan ride aren't on the list of things pregnant women can't ride, but they often (even in the off-season) have very long lines. And July is the only time this year that our family can go, her doctors have cleared her for the trip, and she really wants to be able to take her daughter to WDW before her baby is born. Please, why do you have to attack me?

Welcome to the Dis!

Welcome to the Dis!

No kidding. :confused3 I think I'll try to find my information elsewhere in the future. Sorry to bother you all.

Edit: Oh, and seriously, thanks to everybody who was helpful. I'm not discounting the productive replies!

No kidding. :confused3 I think I'll try to find my information elsewhere in the future. Sorry to bother you all.

I'm sorry. That's right apologizing when I just got to the thread.

This, unfortunately, seems to happen a lot in regards to the DAS card/ system. Unfortunately due to people in the past (NOT YOU) taking advantage of the system to circumvent lines it's become a bit of a hot button issue. Not just on this forum but any Disney forum you find.

I hope you have a lovely trip and I hope you can get the assistance from CMs to do so. Good luck!

OP, you asked for advice, you've gotten advice.

When you post to a public message board, you will get all kinds of answers. Some may fit your situation, some may not. Some may offer helpful suggestions, some may point out things they believe you may have overlooked. You get to take it all, use what you can and disregard the rest.

You asked about a DAS for your sister who is diabetic, has a kidney condition and is pregnant. The bottom line is that none of us on this board can guarantee she would be given a DAS. She is welcome to discuss her NEEDS (not diagnoses) with Guest Relations at the park.

You and your party would be wise to think through this plan because July at WDW is crowded, very hot and humid. With or without a DAS you need to plan for what that involves and not rely on one "tool" to make or break the trip.

I believe you have gotten some good suggestions, therefore I am closing this thread as it has become argumentative.

Enjoy your vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter