Delay between YouTube & Podcast update?

ELLH

DIS Veteran
First off: this is not a criticism of the work effort of the podcast team. I just want to state that first before people take this thread the wrong way. ;)

I have noticed, for at least some number of months now, there is a delay between when the latest discussions are posted to YouTube (not the live stream but the whole show) versus when they are posted to Apple’s Podcasts app. Usually the delay is about a day from when it is posted on YouTube until it pops up in my Podcasts app. For example, yesterday’s show is available for viewing on YouTube but not yet on podcast and I don’t expect to see it in my queue until this afternoon.

I understand the YouTube video probably goes up much more quickly because it’s done as a live video. So, this delay may have been the case since the live podcast (video) version of the show began years ago but I don’t recall noticing it until sometime within the last year. Is it just me having a bad memory or is there something in the process with Apple’s podcast-certification that is slowing things down?

I realize this is a really lame “nitpick”. The only reason I’m asking is because I usually listen to the show in the morning on my drive to work and would prefer to download and listen to the podcast version as opposed to streaming the YouTube version. No, the extra day doesn’t kill me. Yes, I somehow manage. ;)

Again this is absolutely not intended as a criticism of the DIS team. I just wanted to note my observation in case it’s an issue on my end or it’s something that maybe the team wasn’t aware of. That’s all.

Many thanks for what the DIS team member are doing,
Erin

I've noticed this and am curious about it as well. It used to always be available for my morning run on Weds, but lately it's been more like my drive home Weds afternoon. I just assumed it was something on my end until I saw this thread.

I'll also state plainly - this is not a criticism of the team, I'm simply curious as to why the timing has changed. Thank you for all of the great content you put out!

I was just thinking about this this morning as I went to play the podcast on my way into work and it wasn’t there.

As of 7:10 pm Wednesday, it’s still not available as a podcast. More than likely it’s on Apple, not Craig or the Dis team.

What was nice about the old Disneyland show was that it was reliably posted on iTunes like clockwork. With the priority having been shifted so much to Youtube views now, you just never know when the audio versions of the various shows will become available these days. Since the gap between the two has become so great in the last couple of years, I just rip the audio from the youtube videos at this point to get the podcasts a bit more timely.

As I understand it, once a live video on Youtube is finished it is almost immediately is available to watch on that account's video feed. With the audio, it's a matter of manually uploading a file to iTunes.

There is a podcast I listen to that is always available on Wednesdays... the hosts are school teachers and during the school year the podcast is ready to go in the morning, but in summer it may not be available until night time. I think the timing has to do with whenever the podcast is uploaded to iTunes.

I still don't have the Universal show visible from last week.
I used to be able to see it some time Friday morning AEST, but it's now after lunch on Monday and nothing :(

It's not an apple thing. It's probably Craig taking more time to rip the audio and upload it.

Yeah, it's true. It's free content so it feels funny to ask about delays, but it is a pain to keep looking. I was looking for the Dreams show for my morning commute and it's still not up. That one I have a harder time understanding because they prerecord those.
I do believe it's partly due to technical issues with iTunes and some of the team just being busy. I think it's mixed.

Last edited:
Just because I want to make sure...

Again this is absolutely not intended as a criticism of the DIS team. I'm grateful for the content we are provided by the Team. I just wanted to note my observation in case it’s an issue on my end or it’s something that maybe the team wasn’t aware of. That’s all.

Yes, sometimes there is a delay. With traveling last week I was having issues getting connected to the servers to upload our shows and then publish the feeds. Other cases I forgot. Our podcasts are posted manually, not scheduled out like YouTube. I can throw a YouTube video up, schedule it and forget about it. I have to remember to come back and upload the podcast. Sometimes I forget to get to it like with the Universal show from last week since we were literally going from 7 am - 1 am every single day at Disneyland to gather content, but that's life. Sometimes it is an issue with Apple as well too and I don't constantly refresh the feed, so unless someone sends me a message I don't know about it right away. Best thing you can ever do in any circumstance is stay subscribed and have your podcasts set to download new episodes and you'll get them with a notification when they get in there. As for the Tuesday show, we work from 9 am - somewhere between 5 to 6 pm and then I commute home and shove food down my face as quick as possible before I get on Skype with Michael and record CWW until 10 to 11 pm sometimes, so by the time the feed gets update it won't show up until the morning. Nothing I can do about that while we have the current workload we do.

Yes, sometimes there is a delay. With traveling last week I was having issues getting connected to the servers to upload our shows and then publish the feeds. Other cases I forgot. Our podcasts are posted manually, not scheduled out like YouTube. I can throw a YouTube video up, schedule it and forget about it. I have to remember to come back and upload the podcast. Sometimes I forget to get to it like with the Universal show from last week since we were literally going from 7 am - 1 am every single day at Disneyland to gather content, but that's life. Sometimes it is an issue with Apple as well too and I don't constantly refresh the feed, so unless someone sends me a message I don't know about it right away. Best thing you can ever do in any circumstance is stay subscribed and have your podcasts set to download new episodes and you'll get them with a notification when they get in there. As for the Tuesday show, we work from 9 am - somewhere between 5 to 6 pm and then I commute home and shove food down my face as quick as possible before I get on Skype with Michael and record CWW until 10 to 11 pm sometimes, so by the time the feed gets update it won't show up until the morning. Nothing I can do about that while we have the current workload we do.

I appreciate the response. I understand the working life and sincerely hope my post didn’t come off as me whiny... lord knows that’s the way I would have taken it... so I tried my best to stress that part.

Keep on killing the magic, kind sir.

Thanks again,
Erin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!