Deciding between DAS and ECV

I know all the things you say here are true- but I'm in that weird spot where I look like I'm a lot better shape than I actually am. And as you can tell, I like to make light of my problems, when in fact they are fairly serious.

Because of my longstanding problems with RA, I have pretty much every autoantibody there is (the ones that are found in lupus, Wegener's, Sjogrens, etc. etc.) and so I'm at high risk of developing lymphoma and some other very rare conditions (Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia? Who gets that- besides me, of course!:tongue:). All of my medications have recently been switched around to keep that under control. I don't really know if they will effectively treat the RA, though. That's another reason for me to plan on using an ECV- who knows what shape I'll be in by the time I get to Disney in May. I don't want to think about it. I want to pretend to be well for a little while longer.

I didn't know RA could be a fatal disease, well now I know better.
something you might want to do is look into touring plans. this site can help you plane what days are less crowded at what park, you can make touring planes by putting in what you would like to do and it will give you a list of what to do and what to FP. there is a free version ( you get less) and a paid I have the paid and doing a quick search can find a discount code. this can really help with making the best use of your time keeping you from waiting ( and who like to wait) it can also help with not criss crossing the park. I know the you do not look sick all too well and hope you have a great trip. I am going the last week of April so close to when you are going and hoping for low crowds and good weather.

Also, you do know about the FP refreshing hack if not look on the main board for the FP thread there are some great tips in there on how to use the FP system

something you might want to do is look into touring plans. this site can help you plane what days are less crowded at what park, you can make touring planes by putting in what you would like to do and it will give you a list of what to do and what to FP. there is a free version ( you get less) and a paid I have the paid and doing a quick search can find a discount code. this can really help with making the best use of your time keeping you from waiting ( and who like to wait) it can also help with not criss crossing the park. I know the you do not look sick all too well and hope you have a great trip. I am going the last week of April so close to when you are going and hoping for low crowds and good weather.

Also, you do know about the FP refreshing hack if not look on the main board for the FP thread there are some great tips in there on how to use the FP system
Yes! I am a member of TP. Used it on our last trip and the whole family thought it was immensely helpful- that and the ECV! :)
The last time we went, the FP were still experimental, so the FP refreshing hack is new to me, but I will definitely try it. I know my kids will be all over that, too.
Also, we are staying Club Level. So I am going to get the extra Club level fast passes (we don't get to come very often so I'm splurging). If we have 6 per day I can arrange them to be in order so I don't have to walk so far.

Luckily, the kids are also older now so I can go back to the resort if I feel like it, and they can tour on their own.

Thanks for the good advice and encouragement.

Last edited:
Yes! I am a member of TP. Used it on our last trip and the whole family thought it was immensely helpful- that and the ECV! :)
I just started using it but o can never tell how o will feel as too what I what want to do so I mostly use it for what parks to
Go to on what days

there is not a shortage of them per say but I have had CM tell me that I was lying to skip the lines when going to get mine I have heard from a CM that works GR ( I have known her since she was in middle school) that they are handing out way too many DAS and that because of this the FP lines are getting longer ( and of a few other things) my last week-long trips I had to get out of more lines ( FP) then I did in line the last 2 years. my last trip a few weeks ago I was unable to ride soring since the line was so long. So there is not a number of them just so many people needing them that has now made the FP lines longer ( again there is other issues with this too)

This is what I had predicted would happen - DAS becoming the same as the GAC. Social media has made it much easier to spread information, and people are finding out all kinds of ways to cheat the system.

I didn't know RA could be a fatal disease, well now I know better.

when I was diagnosed( after 2 years of testing for everything under the sun and a few that hadn't even been discovered/named yet) my parents were told that A I'd never walk again and B be dead before I was 18. ( I was 7 at the time).

there was a group of about 6 of us all diagnosed at about the same time and under the care of then then premier JRA god( Dr Pinals). 2 of us were dead within 5 years. 1 was completely free of the disease in that same time frame and the rest of us had varying degrees of recovery. I was lucky, in that I did indeed walk again.. for a while. last year the Ortho gods finally took pity and I got a new hip. still need my chair for WDW though.

they key is knowing your limits and how far to push them.

The 3 main issues are that:
- most lines are slowly moving, not stopped
- they are too easy to tip over. Even if you have good balance someone could bump into you
- there is an issue with where to put them while you ride (unlike a regular cane, they may not fit in the ride car with you

Also, depending on where the user chooses to sit, they can block access and foot traffic for other guests.

Also, depending on where the user chooses to sit, they can block access and foot traffic for other guests.
Good point.
I have seen people trying to use one to sit at the curb for the parade. They are not very stable to start with; one bump and off the curb!

Alright, I give up, I give up! :rotfl2:

I really should know better than to try to hobble around WDW, I guess the years have dimmed my brain to the pain! I had great luck with Apple Mobility last time, so I guess they can get my business again, at the very least I'll make ample use of the wheelchairs at the parks on a prn basis and forget the cane chair!

Thanks so much for talking some sense into me, folks!:disrocks:
I have RA and fibromyalgia. I've used ECV's on my last three trips. I used Gold Mobility last time. Wonderful experience and I'm planning on using them again.

That being said, I would definitely not go without renting one. The pain I used to get from simply walking from my car to the front of the parks was awful. There are very few places to sit that are close to where the rides are. Also, there is very little shade in some of the parks. Definitely get one.

IMHO ....If a person needs a DAS - there is no way that they could possibly be at Soaring or any other Headliner. The lines are the longest, and the Headliner rides take more physical ability to ride than the standard ones do. A wheelchair or ECV (if permitted) should remedy the wait on line.
PLEASE realize that the above comment is MY OPINION, not Disney’s, nor anyone else’s.

To help answer your question about getting around with less physical stress and also standing in long lines - renting an ECV from a Disney approved provider will help you get from the main gate to the bus stop and around the resort a lot easier. They make it possible for users to be in the parks for more than an hour, helping with breathing, standing, and motor issues. They allow the users to have fun, just like everyone else.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm just curious what your reasoning is - because not every disability is a physical one, and DAS accommodates folks who DON'T have a mobility issue but do have other disabilities that make the long lines difficult to endure. Doesn't mean they can't handle the rides though. Disabilities are way more than what you see on the outside.

I'm just curious what your reasoning is - because not every disability is a physical one, and DAS accommodates folks who DON'T have a mobility issue but do have other disabilities that make the long lines difficult to endure. Doesn't mean they can't handle the rides though. Disabilities are way more than what you see on the outside.
Yes I agree with you it does not matter what the ride is if the line is longer then 15-20 I do not go I just can not handle the wait. I have no physical problems can walk and stand for a long time ( I do get tired like anyone else dose) just being in the physical line I can not do

Yes I agree with you it does not matter what the ride is if the line is longer then 15-20 I do not go I just can not handle the wait. I have no physical problems can walk and stand for a long time ( I do get tired like anyone else dose) just being in the physical line I can not do

My son can handle about 30-40 minutes of waiting before he starts having issues (and let's be clear, we're not talking about issues because he wasn't taught patience or being a spoiled kid that can't handle waiting for something....I am talking about genuine neurological issues). He can self-regulate fairly well on some waits but not others. The DAS was an absolute lifesaver. we still "waited" the same amount of time as people who got in line at the time we got a DAS entry, but he could have a snack, run around, be himself without being disruptive to other people while we waited for our return time. He was able to enjoy the parks like a kid should, and we were very conscious of not abusing the privilege - if he was in a good place or the wait was short enough that it was in his zone of tolerance, we didn't use it.

My son can handle about 30-40 minutes of waiting before he starts having issues (and let's be clear, we're not talking about issues because he wasn't taught patience or being a spoiled kid that can't handle waiting for something....I am talking about genuine neurological issues). He can self-regulate fairly well on some waits but not others. The DAS was an absolute lifesaver. we still "waited" the same amount of time as people who got in line at the time we got a DAS entry, but he could have a snack, run around, be himself without being disruptive to other people while we waited for our return time. He was able to enjoy the parks like a kid should, and we were very conscious of not abusing the privilege - if he was in a good place or the wait was short enough that it was in his zone of tolerance, we didn't use it.
Yes I am the same as your son it has nothing to do with I am spoiled or I need to work harder or anything like this I might be able to handle a wait longer then 20 minutes on a good day but that would be the only thing I could do that day or maybe the day after if I get into one of my if I did not have a disability things meltdown that can last a long time

Thank you for saying what I wanted to say

[QUOTE="I Love Pluto
PLEASE realize that the above comment is MY OPINION, not Disney’s, nor anyone else’s.

The hard thing about the waits is when the sign says 20 mins and but it turns out to be 45 mins. I remember one time DH and I got on a standing room only monorail , thinking it was ONLY one stop. Sure enough the monorail stopped for about 20 mins on the track. It was tough on DH. At the time, walking was ok, standing still was hard on his back. Few years later, now on every ride, no matter how short the line says, we take the wheelchair.

My reasoning is from personal experience. I am a person.
This is MY OPINION from personal experience.
My opinion should not be falsely projected on anyone - never!
Thank You.

renting an ECV from a Disney approved provider
Not 'approved'. Featured. There are many, many, many equally or more reputable companies. Gold Mobility gets impressive praise on this forum, and i don't recall reading anything negative.

The only hiccup in not being Featured is that the consumer needs to be present at both the dropoff and pickup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter