December 2020 W.I.S.H. - Finding Delight

I enjoyed reading about everyone’s holidays-I know many of you are home this week, so this Monday feels different (in a good way!).

What’s your plan for this week?

I still have some “party” food leftover but I sent a lot home with the kids and will see what I can freeze tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be 50 degrees and sunny, so a good day to get back on the trail for a long walk.

I enjoyed reading about everyone’s holidays-I know many of you are home this week, so this Monday feels different (in a good way!).

Plans are to do some prep for homeschool, watch a few more Christmas movies in the DVR, and maybe play the new board games DH and DS got for Christmas. DH is off as well, and has some errands he wants to take care of.

I still have some “party” food leftover but I sent a lot home with the kids and will see what I can freeze tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be 50 degrees and sunny, so a good day to get back on the trail for a long walk.
I took the last 4 days off. Very lazy. Are what I wanted, when I wanted. My plan for today is to treat it like a mom-work day. I have bills to pay, a return to do, a vet appointment to make, cleaning, meal planning, etc. very similar to a work week Sunday ;)

I plan on getting up and doing a workout, but also trying to get outside for a walk since it’s supposed to be a little warmer today. Start to get moving again. I’m going to meal plan, but there are lots of holiday left overs and Nee Years meals coming up. I’m planning seafood for Nee Years Eve and our traditional pork and sauerkraut from New Years Day. Then it will be back to better eating after that.

I’m also trying to continue with famiky game nights and movie nights. I can’t believe the number of things my kids have been invited to that are simply not following the COVID rules for our area. So I’m trying to find fun things to do as a family to make them not feel like they are being punished by staying home. I’m definitely finding it challenging with teens (probably why I teach kindergarten😉).

I took the last 4 days off. Very lazy. Are what I wanted, when I wanted. My plan for today is to treat it like a mom-work day. I have bills to pay, a return to do, a vet appointment to make, cleaning, meal planning, etc. very similar to a work week Sunday ;)

I plan on getting up and doing a workout, but also trying to get outside for a walk since it’s supposed to be a little warmer today. Start to get moving again. I’m going to meal plan, but there are lots of holiday left overs and Nee Years meals coming up. I’m planning seafood for Nee Years Eve and our traditional pork and sauerkraut from New Years Day. Then it will be back to better eating after that.

I’m also trying to continue with famiky game nights and movie nights. I can’t believe the number of things my kids have been invited to that are simply not following the COVID rules for our area. So I’m trying to find fun things to do as a family to make them not feel like they are being punished by staying home. I’m definitely finding it challenging with teens (probably why I teach kindergarten😉).
Good for you not giving into the pressure to join the crowd. So many grown adults still give into peer pressure. You’re kids are fortunate to have a strong parent that will do what is right and best for her family despite those around her.

Last edited:

We are still in "party mode." Next week, I'm going hardcore weight loss mode, so we are enjoying meals that I do not prepare when I'm trying to lose weight.

The one difference this year, is that I can't wait to take down the Christmas decorations. Normally, I would drag my feet on taking down Christmas. The goal would be the day after New Year's Day, but even if the majority was put away, the second tree in the dining room would usually stay up until Valentine's Day. This year, I wanted them gone on the 26th. I want anything 2020 related to disappear. With the treadmill arriving anytime, the tree needs to come down earlier regardless...probably on Wednesday.

We started watching "Ozark" yesterday and totally got sucked in. I haven't started my new Janet Evanovich book yet...no real alone time with DH around. No rush...just trying to enjoy time off from school in our safe bubble.

Good for you not giving into the pressure to join the crowd. So many grown adults still give into peer pressure. You’re kids are fortunate to have a strong parent that will do what is right and best for her family despite those around her.
Thanks! I didn’t realize how hard it would be. Especially when these are all good friends who just don’t seem to care and then I get to be the one who makes my teenage son break down to tears because all he wants is to spend some time with his friends.

Thanks! I didn’t realize how hard it would be. Especially when these are all good friends who just don’t seem to care and then I get to be the one who makes my teenage son break down to tears because all he wants is to spend some time with his friends.
You are to be commended for not taking the easy way out like so many others have done and continue to do. As an educator, you know all about the benefits of impulse control...in this case, delaying gratification will result in saving lives. There's no higher priority than preserving human life. Stay strong.💪

I’m definitely finding it challenging with teens (probably why I teach kindergarten😉).

I hear ya!!! I am the same way. The pace of teen life - how quickly everything changes: their plans, their ideas, even their likes and dislikes, simply does me in. I have a good friend who teaches middle school, and we continually marvel at each other's abilities, because she loves the teens and doesn't know how we elementary folks manage with the little ones.

This! These families are the reason our cases have gone up. It’s hard being that voice of reason but the end is in sight if we can just hold on a little longer.

Getting caught up. Christmas was lovely. The weather was great for the 23rd and 24th, when I drove down to my Sister's. The night of the 23rd we ate in a tent at the restaurant instead of ordering in.... it was super cold and breezy but I'm glad we did it that way. Christmas Day at home was quiet and rainy, I spent the day knitting and cuddling with the kittens. Here's this year's Christmas tree:

I love this little tree even more this year, the only drawback is that I have enough ornaments for three of them, so a lot of things didn't come out this year. The urge to straighten and organize has already kicked in, so I've already started cleaning up Christmas stuff, but the tree will stay up until New Year's.

For self care yesterday I started to pull myself back together... I got on the scale for the first time in a month, wasn't good but wasn't as bad as I thought either. I charged my FitBit and put it on, got a whopping 1500 steps yesterday. I also reloaded Noom and started tracking again.

Motivation this week... it's another short work week, with Thursday and Friday off - woop woop. I've decided to keep my Port Townsend hotel reservation, I'll do outdoors stuff and possibly some shopping in town the first day. Need to pre-order dinner somewhere, since it will be New Year's Eve, then New Year's Day will go over to my Niece's for some social distant back deck time... my Sister and her girlfriend will also be there.

We don't put up the Christmas decorations until mid December (after DS2 birthday). We don't take them down until January 6th, after the twelve days of Christmas. Right now our wise men are wandering the house making their way to the baby. They turn up all over, but always a bit closer!

My motivation this week will be my stomach. It's been very upset the last couple days, so I need to quit munching all the cookies/sweets that are still around. I may have to throw away that half eaten plate of yummies.

I did not get up at o'dark thirty for yoga today, but I'm glad she tapes her practice so I've completed it. Now I just need to squeeze in a walk and do my little weight lifting routine. Today is the day I bump from 5 pounds to eight pounds so fingers crossed I won't be sore tomorrow!! ;)

I seem to have no motivation to get anything done with week. I have been waking up at about 9 and climbing out of bed at about 10. I make my way to the couch and watch TV. I do need to change this around as I am snacking all day. Hopefully things will change tomorrow. Having nothing at all to do all day I think is what is killing it for me. Being on a schedule I do much better.

@PollyannaMom I understand. Thankfully around here it seems like the kids friends aren't doing much. DD did ask if she could go ice skating with a friend awhile back. That was rough. DS wants no part of leaving the house for really anything right now. I can't even get him to run to the grocery store with me on an off time when no one would be there.

I’m going to try to be better about investing time in myself. Whether it’s getting outside for exercise, shopping for the right foods (and not feeling guilty about spending money on the things that will help me stay on track) and when this pandemic is over I am going to call the trainer I worked with a few years ago. I would love to have a realistic plan for my age and abilities.

I’ve been working on rest. I’m hardly one to sit still during the school year. And usually during these breaks, I work on lesson planning and prep to try to get a little ahead. But so far I have only opened my laptop once and that was to assign my online lessons for the week back. I already have those plans done and things prepped at school. So all that was left were the few online lessons that needed to be assigned. So I’ve been resting my doing less intense workouts, watch Hallmark movies and Disney movies, reading (I still need to read the new Janet Evanovich book too @Summer2018) and sleeping in a little.

I’ve been working on rest. I’m hardly one to sit still during the school year. And usually during these breaks, I work on lesson planning and prep to try to get a little ahead. But so far I have only opened my laptop once and that was to assign my online lessons for the week back. I already have those plans done and things prepped at school. So all that was left were the few online lessons that needed to be assigned. So I’ve been resting my doing less intense workouts, watch Hallmark movies and Disney movies, reading (I still need to read the new Janet Evanovich book too @Summer2018) and sleeping in a little.
Especially this year, resting and recharging over Christmas break is important for everyone! I’m so glad you can step away for these few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter