Debt Dumpers - 2019

I got an email this morning that my W-2 is now available from my employer. Yay! I sit down to finalize and file our taxes and go to sign in and ADP is down. BOO!

I want to get our taxes filed a.s.a.p. so that they will be done as soon as the IRS begins accepting returns.

I got mine finished this weekend and received an email this afternoon that my federal return has been accepted (originally I was told end of the month). So, might happen sooner than you think. I am harboring some guilt that there might be someone working without a paycheck in order to process my return though.

We are getting almost $5K back between federal and state (yes, I know the whole spiel on trying to break even - I don't want to expend any mental energy figuring it out and we don't need that $5K to live on in the year so this works for us). DH and I are both taking a grand to do with as we wish and the rest is going into the vacation fund (which we still haven't figured out what/where that is yet).

Well, good news bad news. I have my taxes finished, but I can't file for another 2-3 weeks. Some of the forms are not finalized yet. One federal and one state. I forget which is which, but one won't be done before the 31st, and the other not before Feb 7th. On the positive side, collectively, I should get back a touch over $6k between the two. I did use a little bit of creative accounting to get to that figure. :rolleyes1

On the less good news. I went to get my first prescription refills of the new year. Original cost was a little over $1200. I had a manufacturer coupon that brought one Rx from $360 to $10 that helped, but I told the tech to start with the cheapest Rx and to stop when we crossed the $50 mark. I still had to leave 2 of them at the pharmacy that cost right at $800 together. Just those 2 are 36% of my entire net monthly take-home pay. I'm going to whine a little bit, but how are people expected to survive when medical costs are that expensive? And these are expected to be ongoing costs. Eventually, I'll hit my annual OOP expense and insurance will kick in and start to pay, unless I die from lack of or rationing of medicine first. I'm just feeling overwhelmed.

Some of you were on here talking about Dave Ramsey, and I got curious and started reading a few things on him and joined a super strict Facebook group of his and decided to dump my savings onto my debt. I just went from ~20k in debt to only owing on my mortgage (but now I’m savings-broke!). I’m still not completely sure how I feel about it, but mathematically it made sense. I also cut up all of my credit cards and closed the accounts (because I have no self-control). I’m sure my credit score is about to drop, but according to his method, you don’t eventually need a score anyway. I bought a brand new car last year and already have my mortgage, so should be good to go. Now just to rebuild my savings and get the house paid off!

On the accountability front, I have spent $7.66 at Dairy Queen, and $8.36 at McDonalds because my kid was hungry and I wasn’t and didn’t want to cook dinner....I’m doing great at most of the no spending (haven’t even been on a real restaurant’s property or in Target or the mall), but fast food is killing me!

WOW! You are BRAVE! I could wipe my $8500 w/ my $20k in the bank but I like having my savings and the $8500 is on a 0% card for now.

Woo hoo! Got my taxes e filed. Have to wait on one form for state, but it should be ready next week. I am getting back almost $500 from state, but owe the IRS $90. Luckily, I have until 4/15 to pay that. I set up a direct debit for 4/1.

Some meds you can go online to the manufacturer of them and apply for assistance affording them. Medical costs are out of control! Hope you can get it figured out soon and start feeling better this year.

Well, good news bad news. I have my taxes finished, but I can't file for another 2-3 weeks. Some of the forms are not finalized yet. One federal and one state. I forget which is which, but one won't be done before the 31st, and the other not before Feb 7th. On the positive side, collectively, I should get back a touch over $6k between the two. I did use a little bit of creative accounting to get to that figure. :rolleyes1

On the less good news. I went to get my first prescription refills of the new year. Original cost was a little over $1200. I had a manufacturer coupon that brought one Rx from $360 to $10 that helped, but I told the tech to start with the cheapest Rx and to stop when we crossed the $50 mark. I still had to leave 2 of them at the pharmacy that cost right at $800 together. Just those 2 are 36% of my entire net monthly take-home pay. I'm going to whine a little bit, but how are people expected to survive when medical costs are that expensive? And these are expected to be ongoing costs. Eventually, I'll hit my annual OOP expense and insurance will kick in and start to pay, unless I die from lack of or rationing of medicine first. I'm just feeling overwhelmed.

Ask your doctor is there is another med that will offer a similar benefit but is less expensive. Also ask if he/she can offer samples. My rx copay is around $10-40 depending on whether it's a one round and done, such as antibiotics, 30 day supply or 90 day supply. Also varies whether I go to the pharmacy at my hospital or a retail pharmacy near home. I do realize that not everyone is in the same boat as me and many pay a lot. Your doctor probably has no idea what your copay is, what your financial situation is, etc. They just order what comes to mind. Sometimes there's new meds on the market they like to try.
For example, I have awful allergies. Indoor. Outdoors. Dust, mold, grass, trees, ragweed etc. All year long. I've been using a nasal inhaler for years and when I stop I get more sinus infections. I need to take it. I use Rhinocort and paid around $15/month as an Rx. Now that it's over the counter, I can find on Amazon for around $17. In Dec I saw a different ENT because I was sick again and my usual doc had a longer wait. This other dr suggested I switch to a different inhaler called Exhance. He called it in to an outside pharmacy that ships & they called me the next day. They said my ins doesn't cover it at all and it's $500+ but I could get it for free from their sister pharmacy in Virginia. (I live in NJ.) Fine. It arrives and it's basically the same kind of medicine except you blow into a mouthpiece while squirting up your nose so your breath helps to push the mist further up into the sinuses. Wins a prize by me for originality but it was sent to me because of their one time coupon. No way am I getting a refill. There are too many other alternatives to this product.

Anyway, sorry this is so long but unless the drug you need is the only one of its kind for that condition, and there's no generic available, then you're stuck. I'd be having a good chat with the doctor to find out.

Good luck to you and hope you're feeling good soon! :goodvibes :hug:

btw, great refund! :thumbsup2

Still no w-2s here.

Ask your doctor is there is another med that will offer a similar benefit but is less expensive. Also ask if he/she can offer samples. My rx copay is around $10-40 depending on whether it's a one round and done, such as antibiotics, 30 day supply or 90 day supply. Also varies whether I go to the pharmacy at my hospital or a retail pharmacy near home. I do realize that not everyone is in the same boat as me and many pay a lot. Your doctor probably has no idea what your copay is, what your financial situation is, etc. They just order what comes to mind. Sometimes there's new meds on the market they like to try.
For example, I have awful allergies. Indoor. Outdoors. Dust, mold, grass, trees, ragweed etc. All year long. I've been using a nasal inhaler for years and when I stop I get more sinus infections. I need to take it. I use Rhinocort and paid around $15/month as an Rx. Now that it's over the counter, I can find on Amazon for around $17. In Dec I saw a different ENT because I was sick again and my usual doc had a longer wait. This other dr suggested I switch to a different inhaler called Exhance. He called it in to an outside pharmacy that ships & they called me the next day. They said my ins doesn't cover it at all and it's $500+ but I could get it for free from their sister pharmacy in Virginia. (I live in NJ.) Fine. It arrives and it's basically the same kind of medicine except you blow into a mouthpiece while squirting up your nose so your breath helps to push the mist further up into the sinuses. Wins a prize by me for originality but it was sent to me because of their one time coupon. No way am I getting a refill. There are too many other alternatives to this product.

Anyway, sorry this is so long but unless the drug you need is the only one of its kind for that condition, and there's no generic available, then you're stuck. I'd be having a good chat with the doctor to find out.

Still no w-2s here.

another couple of options w/meds-

in some states the law is such that costco pharmacies must allow non members to purchase meds at member prices so it's worth it to see what their rates are for a scrip if you are a non member but live in a state w/this provision.

if you ARE a member of costco and they carry your otc, keep an eye on those monthly warehouse ads b/c most times the dollars off deal also applies to ordering the same otc on-line from them AND so you don't get tempted to buy a bunch of other stuff when you go in to get that med, the costco online price for most otc meds includes 2 or 3 day delivery (like right now they've got 320 count bottles of aleve on sale, including shipping for $15.99:thumbsup2) so opt for it and skip the impulse buys.

if you regularly use an otc med i learned from my pharmacist that in my state, even though insurance won't cover it, if a doctor writes it up on a scrip and you have the pharmacy hand you the item and ring it up-no sales tax is charged on the purchase. it's worth it to ask at your pharmacy if that's the case where you live.

in some states the law is such that costco pharmacies must allow non members to purchase meds at member prices so it's worth it to see what their rates are for a scrip if you are a non member but live in a state w/this provision.

if you ARE a member of costco and they carry your otc, keep an eye on those monthly warehouse ads b/c most times the dollars off deal also applies to ordering the same otc on-line from them AND so you don't get tempted to buy a bunch of other stuff when you go in to get that med, the costco online price for most otc meds includes 2 or 3 day delivery (like right now they've got 320 count bottles of aleve on sale, including shipping for $15.99:thumbsup2) so opt for it and skip the impulse buys.

if you regularly use an otc med i learned from my pharmacist that in my state, even though insurance won't cover it, if a doctor writes it up on a scrip and you have the pharmacy hand you the item and ring it up-no sales tax is charged on the purchase. it's worth it to ask at your pharmacy if that's the case where you live.

I've found too that Costco will fill my prescription for an OTC medication and it's cheaper than buying it off the shelf. I get a 90 day supply of Xyzal from Costco pharmacy and pay the cash rate of $19. I'm actually not sure what the price is to buy it off the shelf at Costco, but I know 80 Xyzal pills is $34.99 at Target.

I've found too that Costco will fill my prescription for an OTC medication and it's cheaper than buying it off the shelf. I get a 90 day supply of Xyzal from Costco pharmacy and pay the cash rate of $19. I'm actually not sure what the price is to buy it off the shelf at Costco, but I know 80 Xyzal pills is $34.99 at Target.

The member price for that is only $12.64 You should probably join Costco because of the savings at the pharmacy for members.

Last edited:

Still no w-2s here.

I've gone through the conversations with my doctor(s) multiple times. And they've called the insurance multiple times looking for alternatives. Apparently, I'm stuck between the immovable object and the unbreakable force. I've been on the same allergy pills long enough that the effectiveness is compromised, but my insurance won't cover any others. The really expensive meds that the pulmonologist is prescribing don't have alternatives that the insurance will cover. I have been able to get some samples from the pulmonologist, but I don't know for how much longer I can depend on getting those.

I'll have to check, but I don't think there is actually a Costco in the state I live in. (Wal-mart / Sam's Club home territory). I do have my doctor write a scrip for anything that I have to take regularly, it saves taxes AND I can pay for it using my HSA account. Normally, it is cheaper than buying it off the shelf. So far, it has been anyway. My Zyrtec scrip just went from $4 a month to $8 a month, and I know that the shelf price is more than that per month.

Until all this started happening, I'd never given a lot of thought to it, but my insurance is really kind of weird. Apparently, they will cover an OTC med if there is a scrip, but they won't cover life-saving / life-prolonging meds that are expensive. And that is pretty much exactly how the list of covered medicines reads. Medicines that are "reasonably priced" (less than ~ $100) are covered, medicines that are more expensive (~between $100 and $200) require preapproval to be covered, and expensive medicines are not covered at all. Or, at least, that is the way I understand that the drug category list breaks down.

I'll have to check, but I don't think there is actually a Costco in the state I live in. (Wal-mart / Sam's Club home territory). I do have my doctor write a scrip for anything that I have to take regularly, it saves taxes AND I can pay for it using my HSA account. Normally, it is cheaper than buying it off the shelf. So far, it has been anyway. My Zyrtec scrip just went from $4 a month to $8 a month, and I know that the shelf price is more than that per month.

You can buy Costco Kirkland brand generic Zyrtec online. It's about $20 for a ONE YEAR SUPPLY. Or, heck, I will buy you a bottle next time I go to Costco for $13.99 and mail it to you. There is no reason to pay $96 per year for Zyrtec. The generic works just as well. My son has been taking it for years. PM me if you want me to send you a bottle. I won't even charge you for it.

Or, you can buy it yourself from any of a number of online sites from Amazon to Newegg, for anywhere between $16-22.

The member price for that is only $12.64 You should probably join Costco because of the savings at the pharmacy for members.

a non member should check with their local costco to see if they are in a state where costco is required by law to permit non members to make pharmacy purchases b/c they could save the cost of membership.

a non member should check with their local costco to see if they are in a state where costco is required by law to permit non members to make pharmacy purchases b/c they could save the cost of membership.

Costco can permit non members from making pharmacy purchases in some states, yes , BUT they have to pay the "cash" price if they are non members. The member price is lower. That particular medicine is $19 cash, $12.64 for members.

Costco can permit non members from making pharmacy purchases in some states, yes , BUT they have to pay the "cash" price if they are non members. The member price is lower. That particular medicine is $19 cash, $12.64 for members.

a non member would only have to pay 5% more than the member price, so about 65 cents. if someone is'nt going to use costco much they can still shop there and pay the 5% surcharge (it's also applicable on-line with them).

Do you have a link to a list of medication prices for Costco? Member and non-member?

a non member would only have to pay 5% more than the member price, so about 65 cents. if someone is'nt going to use costco much they can still shop there and pay the 5% surcharge (it's also applicable on-line with them).

This is ONLY applicable online. Non members cannot shop at Costco and simply pay a surcharge. That's not allowed. Non members can only access the food court and pharmacy, using insurance benefits, or paying the full cash price for OTC meds. Only members can access the "member discount" on certain purchases at the pharmacy.

The ONE way non members can shop at Costco is if they are paying with a Costco Cash Card. However, only members can buy Costco Cash cards, so you would need someome to buy one for you.

I actually am a Costco member. I've been getting this medication for over a year now and it's always been the same $19 amount. I've never been given the option of any other price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter