Votes: 87 78.4%
  • Yes, on one door

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.5%

• Total voters

EACarlson

DIS Veteran
Wife and I are buying our first house in the somewhat small town we currently live in. The house does not have deadbolts on either the front or back doors. I'm convinced that is a neccessity and something we need to add as soon as we close, she doesn't see the need for them and thinks the locks in the doorknobs are good enough. Growing up as I did in a major city, every house had at least one deadbolt, if not more. In her small town, the doors were very rarely locked at all. What say the Dis braintrust?

We have 3, front door, back door, door from garage into house.

Our front door the only lock is a deadbolt, the other two there are locks and an additional deadbolt.

Yes I would say get a deadbolt and have her just get used to using it, it's not hard once you get the hang of remembering to use it.

All exterior doors have deadbolts as well as door knobs with lock. Unless the door frame is built for it the added deadbolt won't stop anyone from kicking in the front door. If it's an older home you may want to beef up the door jamb.

It's a necessity.

Get them put on the front and back doors as well as the door leading into the garage (which should also be a fire door).

Even if you don’t use them, it’s probably good to have them. We have a deadbolt on our front door, as well as our balcony door.
We have them; a fancy number-pad one on the front and a basic one on the door in from the shared parkade. We've got a regular handle latch lock on the sliding patio door. All of them came with the house. FWIW, we never lock any of the doors unless we're all going away on vacation. I don't even have a key to our front door so I hope the code is what I think it is, if I ever need to open it. :o

I can’t sleep without a deadbolt. However I did grow up In a town where there was truly no reason to lock doors. You have to experience to understand. Keys left in cars etc. sadly nowadays a few drug addicts create crime but if your town is like that small and safe I can see why your wife feels that way. But I’d still want a deadbolt.

On all doors except for the sliding glass doors... for the main front door we have one of those keypad locks. We took the lock off the front door and put it on the outside garage door and it has the same key as the inside garage door.

Pretty stupid to have deadbolt on my doors, it's original door for a 1976 mobile home. It's just thin plastic covering a polystyrene core. You can literally break through my door with a spoon if you wanted to.

I could rebuild the frame for a new door, but I don't have time, I don't have help, and it would cost 1/3 of the total cost of the place to have the door frame rebuilt to hold a regular door. I'd rather continue building a down payment rather than constantly spend my down payment on this place.

I had to go look, which tells you how often they're used. We have them on 2 of 3 exterior doors. We're in a small town where not locking the doors is still a thing, and ours are pretty much only locked if we're traveling and overnight while we sleep.

Yes, all doors. And front and back doors are key lockable on the inside. Lock on door to garage has a turn knob.

Having lived in very small Kansas towns (1200-1600 pop.) for over 20 years, I agree with your wife. For about half that time, I lived alone and never felt unsafe. Didn't have deadbolts in any of the four homes I lived in during those years.

Two of the three towns were on a major highway to the Southwest. Still was considered odd to lock doors. People even would dash into grocery or post office and leave their car running.

I locked doors and my car because I didn't want to risk forgetting to do that when traveling in riskier areas. At home, there actually was little need to do either.

I have a deadbolt, but I also have a glass pane in my front door. Looks nice, but it wont stop any intruder. To compensate, I have something else underneath my bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!