DDP with a 10 and - year old?

iheartdisney

DIS Veteran
I just realized that of my two oldest children, one will be an adult, and one a child- according to the DDP. Which means one will be ordering off the adult menu, and one stuck to the chidren's.
Has this caused problems for anyone else? I hope it won't be too bad, since the 9 year old is my "picky" eater anyway, and the 10 year old has the appetite, but I'm still worried about this causing some bumps at dinners! Especially when it comes to the dessert offerings! lol!

You can do a few things:

1) Purchase an extra dessert for the younger child
2) Change the 9 year old's age to 10 on your resort reservation and upgrade them to the adult dining plan. You'd have to pay for adult tickets if you're on a package, and if the child is a picky eater it may not be worthwhile.
3) Do a lot of buffets and family style where everyone eats the same thing.

We did this once. Granted my 10 year old is a much better eater than my 9 year old - so she was usually fine with the kids offerings. BUT, she is also a huge dessert fan - So I wasn't sure how it was going to go.

Anyway - I went into it knowing that we would all be 'sharing' desserts - basically if there was a much better adult offering - I would likely just swap with her (and have a few bites of hers and dh's if desired). But it ended up not being a big deal 90% of the time. I will admit I choose a lot of the TS places that offer decent kids desserts (like ice cream sundae) - so she was fine most of the time. About the only places it was a 'bigger' deal were Beaches & Cream (I was fine giving her my dessert - I was stuffed and honestly she didn't finish the big adult sundae so we definitely could have split it) and The Plaza (can't remember but something about milkshakes being OK for adults but not for kids) - I think we just asked for an extra cup and split it.

This problem is the one reason I am glad my kids will all be "adults" the next time we go. My middle daughter would order kids meals now if she could but my other three get sick of those offerings.

Last Feb (2012) my husband and I took our then 3 y/o GS for his first WDW trip and were on the DxDDP. At almost every meal he reached for one of our appetizers, as he couldn't understand why he didn't get one. The problem was he then didnt want to share it until he'd eaten all he wanted of it.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!