DDP Question....Is my TA right?

jen22984

Mouseketeer
Our oldest DD will be 2 1/2 at the time of our trip to Disney. We are going during the Free Dining promotion. We had planned on sharing our meals with both daughters or buying 1 kids meal for them to share at places where we wanted to eat something that they would not like. Our TA suggested that we add our oldest DD to our room as a 3y/o so that she would get her own meals/snacks. All we would need to do was buy her a 1 day pass for our package and since she was still 2 she wouldnt really "need" a ticket for the trip.

It seems like a great idea. It would cost us an extra $68 to get her added as a child instead of an infant and I figure with snacks & additional meals it would save us money.

What do you think? Is our TA right about her not needing tickets for the additional days at the parks? I dont want to do anything that would jeopardize our trip.

Yes and no. You are saying your DD is three and WDW will have that on file that is her age. Nobody at the turnstiles of the parks is going to question you if you are asked about there age. Children under three are free.
so really what it comes down to is a conscience thing. Can you enjoy those extra free dining credits knowing that you stretched the truth to get them.

From an ethical standpoint, I would say that declaring your daughter to be 3 for the trip for the free dining plan means that you should purchase a child's park admission for her for each day that she will be in the parks. On the whole, that would cost more than buying a child's DDP or paying OOP.

No that is not correct - everyone on the package age 3 and older must have the same type of park ticket. If everyone has a 1 day base ticket then it will work, if not you either have to add her with the same number of days of park tickets everyone else has or change everyone to the one day ticket and then upgrade the rest of you to the correct number of days you need once you arrive at the resort.

Everyone in our party has only a 1 day park ticket through our package. We each also have a 5 day ticket not with our package through the military offer they are doing.

I wouldn't do it. As PP have said, once you give Disney her birthdate, it will be in their computers forever. Which means when she is 9 1/2 Disney's record will show her as 10, to them an adult.

Also, your 2-1/2 yr. old will be able to eat for free at all buffets. So that won't cost you any more. At non-buffet restaurants your 2 DDs can share, of course, for no cost. Some servers will charge you for a 2nd drink, others may not.

As for snacks just share your total snacks amongst the family. Personally, we go for 10 nights with 3 of us and by the end of the trip we are scrambling to use all of our CS and SC. We've had the DDP 5 times now and it's happened to us everytime. Now I will say that we do not spend all of our days at Disney. We always take a few days to explore Florida.

If you use 3 CS for your lunch you will get 3 desserts with them. Many of them are easy to carry around. I find that if we don't share a meal (which is something my DM and I do frequently) then we usually don't have room for dessert. So you could carry at least one of those extra desserts to be eaten as a snack later in the day. Also, you'll get 3 desserts with dinner. 3 desserts will be plenty for 2A & 2K to share.

Regarding sharing, you and your DH may find out that ordering 2 adult meals for each of you is more than you'll be able to eat. So at some meals, you could order 2 adult meals for the 4 of you to share, or 1A and 1K to share. Oh, and at TS your DD will get an appetizer with her meal. Adding even more food to the mix.

This year, my DD9 will be turning 10 on our trip. :goodvibes For us, that mean's she's know considered an adult. I know we will have a lot of credits to use up towards the end of the trip since with what is now considered 3 adults on the DDP. I know we are going to be ordering mostly 2 meals to share. In the past the 3 of us have had many meals where we shared 1 adult meal and 1 kid's meal or 2 adult meals. We never walked away hungry.

Oh, and back to the subject of desserts using your CS credits---Flametree BBQ offers the frozen lemonade as a dessert choice. It's the full size one. Also, at the waterparks you can return later in the day to get your desserts. So, if you were at one of the waterparks and everyone wanted a dessert, you could use 3 credits for 3 of you and one of your desserts from lunch for another. (if you think you will do this I would rec. buying your lunches on 2 different receipts-that way you can use just 1 dessert instead of having to get all 3 at once.)

In closing, what your TA is suggesting is against Disney policy. Phantom children are one of the reasons Disney know insists that everyone in your group be there when you check in. It didn't take long for guests to realize by paying less than $70 for a one day kid's ticket they would get more than that in free food. So they just created a "phantom kid". When you check in now at your resorts, if everyone is not there, only the amount of guests who are there will have their DDP activated.

Since you are going in Sept. you may find that all of your eating habits change. We find that when it's hot our appetites are less.

EDITTED-Okay, so I just noticed that your other DD is only 7 months old which does change some things. However, at 7 months she proably won't be eating that much anyway. You could still share 2 adult meals amongst the 4 of you. Also, those times when your older DD is hungry, go ahead and order her the kid's meal-they are pretty reasonable.

Our other daughter will only be about 15 months at the time of our trip. She is 10 months now.

Not good advice by that TA at all.

A few things you should know, if you don't already:

1. Portions are large, so you may be able to share from your meals without much of a sacrifice.

2. At buffets it's not an issue: you can feed your under-3 kids anything you want from them with no extra charge for them.

3. Even at non-buffet TS, I think the servers generally will be happy to bring you kids' items for them for no extra charge.

I, personally, don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, I've seen that Disney suggested this several times to people in their Trip Reports. If you don't mind paying the $$ for a park ticket, then Disney is getting more money :confused3 They would probably rather you pay $69 for a park ticket than have your children eating off the buffet for free.

Do what you want to do. I would never say my 3 year old was 2 so that I could get in for free, but UPGRADING my child doesn't bother my conscience. :confused3

NOt sure if I see anything wrong with it if you're willing to pay for her as an older kid getting tickets & such. But it's going to be expensive when she has to get the "adult" tickets & such a few years from now when she's still 9 but Disney has her in the computers as a 10 year old...

Why not just take that $68 you'd spend on a ticket you don't need and instead buy about 12 kid's counter service meals? Or 7 kid's meals, and a whole bunch of snacks as needed? If you're there for 7 days, that's almost $10 a day you could spend on supplemental food for the kids. And the adult portions are very large at counter service.

I don't think that is necessary at all! Just seems like a waste of money and food. We let our 2 yo share with us and her 4 yo old sister last time we went and that was plenty for her. HTH! :)

I'm not sure how long you are staying, but honestly I think you'd be wasting $68. CS meals are about $4 each so that $68 gets you 17 CS kids meals do you really need that many? At a buffet the kids can eat off your plate at no additional charge. So those are "free meals" that you'd being paying for. At a non buffet/AYCE TS meal a typical child meal is closer to $8, so those would count as "2 of those 17 CS meals".

I really don't think its a great deal for you financially (paying when you can have most of it for free) and its already a dilemma for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter