DCP fall 2020

In my opinion from 5 years of experience with the Program... no. At the last Union negotiation, a Union leader said that "no way" will CPs be coming back anytime soon (I'll link a blog post from AllEars that summarizes it) And while CPs are not part of the union, it sounds like this is being brought up because all of the PT/FT CMs have to be called back to work before the CP can resume again, and it doesn't look like this can be done feasibly before August/September. The Union was the one who first broke the news that all of us on Spring '20 would be going home, so I have to trust the Union in saying that the CPs won't be back anytime soon.

The dorm-style housing itself is a huge liability, so I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a special local/off-site participant Program call before on-site residents could even begin to come back in small batches. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Florida hasn't ended their ban on dorm-style living due to COVID-19? Spring '21 is a maybe if things get dramatically better, but Fall '21 sounds like the most realistic season we'll see the next traditional DCP.

Furthermore-- I wouldn't want to do a DCP until the Park was fully operational again. There's no word out yet on how (or IF) CM park admission will work for the forseeable future. I would hate to see CPs in a Program where they wouldn't be able to play in the Parks on their off-days.

Right now no way to be sure. That Union rep had to take back much of what he said - it is NOT his place to decide if the company of Disney keeps the DCP or not and that guy sounds like he has a huge chip on shoulder against the program. But Disney does need to decide soon as they’ve kinda treated the DCP’s with disrespect over the whole thing. My kid is done with the program but she has a friend who is supposed to go in August- waiting until July31 to tell the kids it isn’t happening is a very bad look for Disney. Especially as I learn more and more how much Universal is doing for their team members,

Why does the union hate the CP's so much? I was reading the chatter on some of the board threads but didn't want to ask that question on threads where it wasn't relevant.

My dd was in the SA 2020 and sent home, of course....She is hoping to go back for SA 2021 but I'm also starting to think that might be an unlikely situation. I definitely do not think the Fall 2020 kids will get to go, and that makes me so sad for them, and I just wish Disney would tell them asap so they can make their plans for the semester.

Why does the union hate the CP's so much? I was reading the chatter on some of the board threads but didn't want to ask that question on threads where it wasn't relevant.

My dd was in the SA 2020 and sent home, of course....She is hoping to go back for SA 2021 but I'm also starting to think that might be an unlikely situation. I definitely do not think the Fall 2020 kids will get to go, and that makes me so sad for them, and I just wish Disney would tell them asap so they can make their plans for the semester.
Because it keeps Disney from hiring more employees who will join the union.

So far everyone who replied on this thread is been negative on fall 2020 being canceled. I on the other hand feel very positive that Fall will go on as planned. It is now less than 60 days until our DD has to report on 8/3 and unless they dont give a crap about the kids or their parents as far as the travel plans they had to make to get there, I am hoping for the best. If we dont get some kind of yes or no confirmation soon then we are in danger of losing our DVC points that we put out for this stay. The airfare not as much but it would still be a cancellation with no refund, just future credit.

So far everyone who replied on this thread is been negative on fall 2020 being canceled. I on the other hand feel very positive that Fall will go on as planned. It is now less than 60 days until our DD has to report on 8/3 and unless they dont give a crap about the kids or their parents as far as the travel plans they had to make to get there, I am hoping for the best. If we dont get some kind of yes or no confirmation soon then we are in danger of losing our DVC points that we put out for this stay. The airfare not as much but it would still be a cancellation with no refund, just future credit.
I’m actually hopeful too (don’t have a pony in this race though) as with all the enhanced cleaning and policing of lines etc they will still need more cast to ensure stuff is done properly. If they do cancel DCP last minute I have to say that may sour me on Disney for good. I sent an email to Igers office and actually got a phone call back when they abruptly cancelled and then through poor communication- seemed to be kicking DCP out with a day. Now it could just have been a “we are listening and then now off call” but I was ticked off- mind you I don’t have a DCP in the program then or future. But I hope they did actually listen to concerns.

BTW- when Orlando suddenly had the curfew and City walk and Disney Springs had to shut down early each night - universal paid the employees at those restaurants the hours they would have been scheduled without the sudden curfew (at least at NBC Grill).. Our server at NBC Grille also said her manager fought for her to stay on payroll the last semester as she finished her masters and didn’t always manage to work required hours (to keep active). Universal employees have lots of stories like this. Disney lets theircast know what’s happening through press releases and then scrambles to cover up and “look” like they care.

Different program - but my DD was scheduled to work cultural exchange from Canada starting May 10. Obviously that didn’t happen — and one could say we all knew it wouldn’t happen — but Disney only notified 3 weeks before that the program would be cancelled. They even made the students pay their non-refundable visas in April. They did refund housing immediately — but still waiting on insurance refund which we had to purchase through their supplier.

Different situation. But just wanted to point out that they don’t give much advance notice. We had to get airfare credit too.

I don't mean to be negative and I'm very sorry for the uncertain situation your family and your dd are in. I truly hope the Fall DCP goes on as planned. I definitely think you need to hope for the best but very much, be prepared for it to be cancelled.

My dd was down at wdw in March in her DCP when Disney very abruptly gave the kids 3 days to get packed up and moved out of the apartments - all while still working. It was extremely stressful for us parents who live across the country and for these kids who just had their entire world turned upside down. Disney support during all this? Pretty much at a zero. The little bit they did offer wasn't known to most of the DCP'ers. You could say they didn't 'give a crap about the kids or their parents’, however, I really don’t believe that. I just think everything was hitting the fan and this program wasn’t getting much in terms of resources to help the kids. The whole deal was handled so poorly. My dd paid the $390 program fee plus it cost a decent amount to get her moved down there and then to move her back home. Her program dates were Feb 3-Aug 6 so she took a lot of stuff. The kids were told they would retain their CM discounts through when their program would have ended. They were told they would keep HUB access. None of that happened. Program fee even partially refunded? Nope. Then the Fall Advantage kids were cancelled with about a month to go before their program so don’t think for a minute that Disney is worried about giving you a lot of notice.
Best wishes to your dd! I truly hope this next group gets to go.

I don't mean to be negative and I'm very sorry for the uncertain situation your family and your dd are in. I truly hope the Fall DCP goes on as planned. I definitely think you need to hope for the best but very much, be prepared for it to be cancelled.

My dd was down at wdw in March in her DCP when Disney very abruptly gave the kids 3 days to get packed up and moved out of the apartments - all while still working. It was extremely stressful for us parents who live across the country and for these kids who just had their entire world turned upside down. Disney support during all this? Pretty much at a zero. The little bit they did offer wasn't known to most of the DCP'ers. You could say they didn't 'give a crap about the kids or their parents’, however, I really don’t believe that. I just think everything was hitting the fan and this program wasn’t getting much in terms of resources to help the kids. The whole deal was handled so poorly. My dd paid the $390 program fee plus it cost a decent amount to get her moved down there and then to move her back home. Her program dates were Feb 3-Aug 6 so she took a lot of stuff. The kids were told they would retain their CM discounts through when their program would have ended. They were told they would keep HUB access. None of that happened. Program fee even partially refunded? Nope. Then the Fall Advantage kids were cancelled with about a month to go before their program so don’t think for a minute that Disney is worried about giving you a lot of notice.
Best wishes to your dd! I truly hope this next group gets to go.

Same here Wendow. My DD was in the Spring 2020 DCP too. The day they were told they had 3 days to move out, before the official email went out, there were rumors online staying this might happen. Myself and other parents thought no way would Disney force these kids out in such a short time, Disney wouldn't kick kids out, many of whom are hundreds-thousands of miles from home, in 3 days! But, as we all know, they did.
We were scrambling to find a way for me to get there, when the last thing I wanted to do was fly in the midst of pandemic, to help her drive back home. Luckily it all worked out but it was a very stressful time and I was totally shocked that it happened the way it did. I'm glad my DD got to experience two months of being a DCP, but I sure spent A LOT of money getting her there, stuff for her apartment, lodging for me, and getting her home for just 2 months of employment.

So I hope the Fall 2020 kids get to go, but as far has how much notice Disney gives on whether program is going forward or not, I wouldn't bet on Disney "caring" that you have travel plans in place.

DD's friend is supposed to start early August. Still hasn't gotten an email and she is less than 2 months out. DD got an email 2 months before her start last Spring. I really wish they would give them a solid answer, so they can be ready or move forward with school or other options.

I don’t think Fall DCP is going to happen. Disney doesn’t give a lot of notice to their employees or their consumers....
So true. We are supposed to check in our resort in just over a month (part dvc/part cash). No clue what is up with our reservation and if our resort will be open. I think our dvc will be fine but not the cash....Beginning to look for other places we can stay. Disney really should communicate a bit better :(

From the DLR union: the DLR CP officially will not resume until all CMs have been called back to work. WDW is expected to put out a similar statement.

And this is from what source? How come this hasn't shown up on any other media sources?

It has shown up on other media sources. Lol. Here's Orange County Registry's post from yesterday talking about Disneyland agreeing to the Union negotiations, and here's Inside the Magic's post specifically talking about the College Program at DLR, which includes the tweet with this exact screenshot.

It has shown up on other media sources. Lol. Here's Orange County Registry's post from yesterday talking about Disneyland agreeing to the Union negotiations, and here's Inside the Magic's post specifically talking about the College Program at DLR, which includes the tweet with this exact screenshot.
Didn’t the union that represents wdw CMs already release something like this? Basically saying the CPs won’t be back anytime soon?

ETA: read the inside the magic post and saw reference to what I was thinking of.

Didn’t the union that represents wdw CMs already release something like this? Basically saying the CPs won’t be back anytime soon?

ETA: read the inside the magic post and saw reference to what I was thinking of.

Yes, they did! Someone upthread said the union rep for WDW "had to take back much of what he said," but I haven't seen or heard anything about that. In any case, back then, it looked like more of a personal comment from the union leader. This, on the other hand, looks like a screenshot of an operational update that a union shop steward would send to their local cast member team. The plans are still being finalized for recalling PT/FT Cast on the east coast, but a few PT and Seasonal WDW CMs I know heard back about temporary FT transfers today, so I can't imagine we won't hear something about the WDWCP soon.

Just a heads up the CP and Aspire programs have been cancelled that were to start Aug. 3rd. Kids are being notified as I type. I just spoke with my DD best friend that was leaving July 28th and had just signed a lease.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!