DCL- where a kid can be a kid

VeroBeachGirl

DIS Veteran
This made me happy, so I thought I’d share....We’re headed on the Magic in a few days for the Marvel Cruise. We are fortunate enough to be able to cruise with DCL every year. We started when our oldest daughter was 10 months. She is 11 now. She’ll be starting middle school next year and I constantly wonder when/if she’ll age out of DCL and all the fun on board.
I was ordering pirate costumes for my two younger children and asked my older daughter if she wanted a full-on costume or just something red/white/black pirate inspired. She looked at me (like I had three heads) and said, “Mom- a full costume of course. It IS pirate night.”

It just made me smile. She may be close to my height and has outgrown princesses but at least I get a few more days of make-believe fun with my sweet girl. Next year, she’ll age out of the kids clubs and probably not want to spend so much time with the family, but I’m so excited about the memories we’ll create on this years cruise.

To my delight our kids never really aged out of DCL. They loved it at all ages and now that they are adults with their own children they love bringing their children on DCL with us. And of course I LOVE showing my grandkids the wonder of DCL.....nothing better than watching two 3 year olds being mesmerized at the shows by their favorite Disney characters.

MJ

Our kids are now high school aged and I check in every so often, "Are you guys getting tired of the Disney Cruises? Do you want to do something else?" This prompts a quick and succint, "No and No," in unison from all 3. DW & always chuckle at the finality of the response.

And trust me, it gets better! Our DS's were 8 months and 3.5 on our first Disney Cruise. Last year they both got to hang out with us in the adult clubs, experience Palo brunch and dinner, and we even got off the ship in Nassau (which we normally don't do) for some gambling and cocktails. :eek::laughing:

Like mmouse37, our kids haven't age out, at least not yet at 19 and 22. They loved going to the Vibe, which was the highlight through their teen years. Oldest DS will be graduating college this spring and his first goal is to get a job on the DCL fleet (fingers crossed).

Last edited:

We started cruising when our daughter was 9; she will be 15 for our cruise this summer and cruising is still her favorite way to vacation. She actually stayed home with my parents for the Disney World trip we took this past fall because she didn't want to go but she would never miss a Disney cruise.

DCL - where an adult can be a kid! It's the only place (other than WDW) that can actually get me to participate in "kid-like" things and fully enjoy them. I become a completely different person on board. Kids all want to be seen to be so grown up so I think it's also really nice for them to see that you don't ever have to outgrow having fun just because you're an adult. I never thought that I would ever be caught being in pictures with characters but there's tons of pictures of me doing just that and getting excited when Mickey suddenly shows up in the adult only areas and I just have to take pictures.

I feel like this is true of Disney parks as well. My 8 year old is not a snuggler and very independent. At Magic Kingdom however, he’ll hold my hand and will think nothing of it. Disney Magic at its finest!

My son is 29. His first Disney cruise was when he was 9. He's an only child, so he usually takes a friend on our cruises and Disney World trips (of which there are many, thanks to DVC). He just graduated with his PhD in Physics and when I asked him where he wanted to celebrate, I got the look like I had three heads and he said.....well, Disney World of course!! It warmed this mama's heart that the place he started visiting when he was four and knows like the back of his hand, is where he wanted to celebrate. Two years ago, one of his friends since childhood asked me if we (me, my husband, our son, my son's friend and his fiancé) could do a Disney cruise. I thought he was just being polite since I gush about how amazing Disney cruises are. Well, he brought it up the next two times I saw him, so we picked a date and will all be sailing on The Fantasy in May. It makes me smile that these "kids" still want to hang out with us and on the best cruise line around!

DCL - where an adult can be a kid! It's the only place (other than WDW) that can actually get me to participate in "kid-like" things and fully enjoy them. I become a completely different person on board. Kids all want to be seen to be so grown up so I think it's also really nice for them to see that you don't ever have to outgrow having fun just because you're an adult. I never thought that I would ever be caught being in pictures with characters but there's tons of pictures of me doing just that and getting excited when Mickey suddenly shows up in the adult only areas and I just have to take pictures.
YES! I always say this. Our annual week on DCL is one of the rare times when I can let go of most of my Mom responsibilities and just play with my kids. No carpool, homework, cooking, cleaning just pure magic with my (big) babies!

When I book a cruise I feel like 78. When I get to pick out our excursions I feel like 58. When I get the door decorations done I feel like 38. When we get our official mailing with luggage tags I feel like 28. When we board the plane to get to port I feel like 18. When we walk into the atrium and hear our family name called I feel like 8...and have to find the bathroom. Forget your body, age is a state of mind and a DCL cruise gives everyone a chance to be young, believe and enjoy two Mickey Bars, if you ask nicely. Cruise on...

This made me happy, so I thought I’d share....We’re headed on the Magic in a few days for the Marvel Cruise. We are fortunate enough to be able to cruise with DCL every year. We started when our oldest daughter was 10 months. She is 11 now. She’ll be starting middle school next year and I constantly wonder when/if she’ll age out of DCL and all the fun on board.
I was ordering pirate costumes for my two younger children and asked my older daughter if she wanted a full-on costume or just something red/white/black pirate inspired. She looked at me (like I had three heads) and said, “Mom- a full costume of course. It IS pirate night.”

It just made me smile. She may be close to my height and has outgrown princesses but at least I get a few more days of make-believe fun with my sweet girl. Next year, she’ll age out of the kids clubs and probably not want to spend so much time with the family, but I’m so excited about the memories we’ll create on this years cruise.

Such a cool thread. Love the replies above.
Our DD13, we've been taking her cruising since she was 6, she's also past the Disney princesses stage but like your DD, she demands new pirate night customs on every cruise.
And since she turned 10, she always asks for DCL as her birthday present. We've been fortunate enough to be able to grant her wishes. And she says her Xmas presents from now on will be DCL so we can cruise 2x a year.
Seems she enjoys every cruise more than the previous, she's the happiest when cruising with DCL and I can't thank Disney enough, more than the money I happily contribute to their coffers and that I hope I can continue to replenish each year. May God continue to bless Disney and those who already or want to cruise with them.

I love this thread. I have wondered when and if my boys 11 & 9 will outgrow their love for Disney. I never did so I had some hope and this thread makes me even more hopeful! We are headed on our grand slam cruise in November, we can't wait!!

To my delight our kids never really aged out of DCL. They loved it at all ages and now that they are adults with their own children they love bringing their children on DCL with us. And of course I LOVE showing my grandkids the wonder of DCL.....nothing better than watching two 3 year olds being mesmerized at the shows by their favorite Disney characters.

MJ
My kids never did either. We’ve been going since my oldest was 7. He’s 19 now. Every year they still beg to go to WDW or DCL (both would be their preference :earboy2:). I’m so thankful! It’s such a fun family time together.

We enjoyed our first Disney cruise in 2010 when our daughter was 3 mos and our son had just turned 7. I do not know who is most excited for our cruise this summer. Our son has already requested a cruise for graduation in 2021. He was really hoping for the new ship, but since it is expected in "late" 2021 we will have to see. Either way, we will pick a ship and a cruise to celebrate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter