DCL vs. RCCL Voyager vs. Carnival Pride?

disneydawn

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
Has anyone been on the RCCL Voyager class ships or the Carnival Pride? I was told that they both have great kids programs. After being on DCL would we be too dissapointed? Any input, especially on the Carnival Pride would be greatly appreciated!

We have sailed on the Magic twice, RCI's Voyager of the Seas (and some other RCI ships as well) and CArnival Spirit and Legend (Pride's sisters). We had a great time on all the cruises, but my kids (aged 13 & 11, but they have been cruising for about 4 years now) have told me that RCIs kids programs are the absolute best! They loved Disney, but they prefered RCI (especially Voyager of the Seas). They were less impressed with Carnival's program.

I do not think you will be disappointed with Royal Caribbean.

bump.

Just looking for some more comments from other cruise veterans.

Here is something else to consider....Carnival Pride is decorated in a Renaissance theme. It is very nice, but there are large reproductions of famous paintings all over the ship and if you are familiar with this period of art you know that means....Nudes....everywhere. Very nice from an artistic point of view, but if you have "giggly" kids along and don't want to be dealing with that, I would pick a different ship. Of course, it is also a great educational opportunity to introduce them to the beauty of Renaissance art. Carnival's kids program is rated very highly, as is Royal Caribbean's. I have been on Disney, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean. My first choice would be any Voyager-class ship! I loved Disney Wonder but Explorer of the Seas is my all-time favorite ship! She's a destination in herself.

we just did the pride in February. Personally, I will never do it again. They (Carnival) can't compare to Disney. Food, service, adult programming or kids program. Granted the ship was beautiful , but not enough.
Actually, our next one is RCCL explorer or the seas. Personally, I'd rather be on the magic, but it's a family reunion event.

We have been on both Disney ships as well as the Pride. My son was 4 when we went on the Pride & my daughter 8 mos. My son LOVED the program on the Pride as much as on the Magic & better than the wonder. Babysitting for the 8 month old was nearly non-existant. The one time we went to use it it backfired because our 4 year old wanted to leave!!??

Other than the lack of babysitting for the baby....Carnival is right up there with Disney. We tend to look on the brighter side of things...especially while cruising, but I honestly believe that food, service, & programming were about equal.

Have yet to cruise on one of the Voyager class hips, though it is hopefully in our future. We are now booked on the Norwegian Dawn. There are a TON of ships out there...keep looking & you will certainly find the right one!!

HTH

We are cruising on the Pride on 5/24. We decided to try something different since we have a 19 and 20 year old sons. There just wasn't enough to occupy them on DCL. So our TA advised us to try the Pride.

The Pride will be leaving Port Canaveral after their 7/5/03 cruise. The Carnival Glory which is a new Mega ship will have its first cruise from Port Canaveral on 7/19/03. This ship will have expanded Children's and Teen programs. It is a sister ship to the Conquest.

So with the arrival of this ship and RCI's Mariner of the Sea (Voyager class ship) in November, maybe it will give DCL some competetion and the prices will go down.

DH and I love DCL and are DVC members so have used points for the two of us to cruise in October. It will be interesting to compare the Pride vs DCL. However, with the current prices for other cruise lines being so much less than DCL I welcome the other cruise lines coming to Port Canaveral.

Happy Cruising.

omg - actually I was on the legend - ah duh!

My problem with the kids programs really was the hours!
They CLOSE for Lunch and dinner, then shut down at 10pm. After that it was, I believe, $6 for the first child and $f for extra children.

Plus, there are too many extras on the ships. Chocolate chip cookies, shakes, special cakes, etc. On the DCL ships, if there was nothing on the dinner menu, they would get it elsewhere. On Carnival, I was pretty much told oh well. At one point, we just felt like some cookies, none of the restaurants would get them, I was told to get them from room service. So I waited in my room a half hour to receive 4 dinky little cookies.

I found the legend to be more of a booze cruise than a family cruise.

Again, just MY opinion..

We have sailed the Magic twice (3rd coming 11/8) and also the Expolorer of the Seas and the Navigator of the Seas. THe Voyager-class ships are tremendous. The Royal Promenade along with the extensive sports deck and ice skating rink enable them to have more activities than anyone else. The kids program is very good also, with a lot of space, although not as much as DCL.

The Compass activity sheets for the 2/15/03 sailing of the Navigator of the Seas (cruise + kids 5-8 ) is posted on my web site ,

www.new-horizons-travel.com/RCCL

Its a toss up between DCL and RCCL Voyager-class.. depends on what is important to you ... I am finalizing an extensive comparison between the two since the choice often comes down to those two lines/ships.

mac_tlc

kendall , ourdogcisco ,

Thanks kendall .. Its actually easier to just go to :

www.new-horizons-travel.com

and work from there !!!

Soon to be added ... Compass activity sheets from the Explorer of the Seas Western Caribbean 8/17/02 .

mac_tlc

I've seen many discussions on merits of the kids program on different cruise lines. I think it all comes down to the age(s) and personality of your child(ren). In general, I think toddlers and younger children would prefer DCL, while either RCCL or Carnival offers more for older children and teens. Again, in general, I've found the crowds on DCL tend to be more wholesome family types, while those on other cruise line were more varied (meaning more singles, gamblers, etc.)

MFan- I could not resist to respond to your post- We have sailed on DCL and RCCL many times and we are your regular run of the mill family. DCL cruisers are no more wholesome than any others. After all the thongs I saw at the mickey pool my kids surley got an eyefull. I would not say RCCL caters to singles, gamblers or any other 'unwholesome' group. We have enjoyed the company of many familys while cruising with RCCL and DCL.
Although I have never sailed on Carnival, RCCl is just right for our family.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter