DCL: Points per person???

tinkgrl

Love Johnny Depp & Captain Jack Sparrow! Love bein
Hi,

I just wanted to be sure. We are 2 adults & we'd like to stay in catagory 8. So how many points would that be for the Wonder & Magic for the regular season? Thanks!!

Allison an associate
Offically DVC 7/23/03

Hi,

Actually its for 2005. Could someone just give me an idea? Thanks!!

Allison
Offically DVC 7/23/03

These are 2004 point requirements:

Disney Wonder:

3 night Bahamas / Category 8 / Regular Season = 124 per person
4 night Bahamas / Category 8 / Regular Season = 141 per person

Disney Magic:

7 night Western Caribbean / Cat. 8 / Regular Season = 212 per person
7 night Eastern Caribbean / Cat. 8 / Regular Season = 203 per person

Hope this helps,
Chad

I was interested in saving points for the cruise, but...if you figure $10 per point, their point system for the cruise is outrageous! They offer such good sales to just pay cash...Unless they offer a discounted point value system to fill up a ships sailing...I would just look into paying for the cruise.

yes, i agree with you, sometimes it better to pay cash, you could always rent out your points and pay cash.

since we have been dvc members each year the points keep going up, making it even harder to plan a cruise.

maybe dvc wants you to buy more points so you have enough to cruise on..

gee, cant wait to see how points it will go up in 2005.
:eek:

One thing I didn't think about (and just wanted future cruisers on points to keep in mind) is that if you have to cancel your cruise for any reason, they are "reservation points" and cannot be used for the regular DVC resorts any longer. I knew that when I made the reservation but I was confident we would take the cruise so no biggie - until we had to cancel. Now we are stuck paying (with a member discount thank goodness) cash for Hilton Head in November, we're out the exchange fee (which we knew about), and have 182 reservation points that no matter how I do the math and which concierge collection hotel I pick, we will be losing some points since these points will expire on July 31st. Fortunately, a stay at the Yacht Club will use up all but 2 of those points so we're grateful for that and my son is happy about our upcoming "extra" trip.

So I would just caution anyone considering a cruise that even if there is a good chance your plans might change, you may want to consider paying cash for this additional reason. If we were paying cash and had to cancel, we would just get our deposit back and be using points for the Hilton Head trip. Oh well, just thought I would share my experience. Of course your mileage may vary but there are just too many variables with my hubby's vacation schedule and other things for us to ever use our points outside the regular DVC properties anytime in the near future.

I'm sure this info is nothing new to most DVC members but for any newbies out there considering using points for the cruise, this is just another little tidbit to keep in mind. Happy planning everybody!

Originally posted by ZerasPride
One thing I didn't think about ...

All very good points! We are in the process of buying DVC and would probably use our points to cruise. Thanks for pointing these things out, ZerasPride!

Originally posted by wdwstar
are you buying alot aof points, have you looked at the cruise point chart? just wondering:)

Yes. This is something we took into huge consideration. There are only two of us (for now, at least) and we would only use points for 4-day cruises. We'd pay cash for the 7-day cruises.

CRSNDSNY

oh, when there is only two people, then its not so bad,and with points it also includes port charges and tax.
happy cruising;)

dvclady you could always rent those 700 points next time at $10 a point and pay cash, that way you could move up a catagory or splurg on something with the extra money.;)

Hi,

Thanks for all your help!!! Have another question: We'll have 309 points in 2005. 99 points banked + 210 2005 points. I was planning on doing 3 days @ home resort & 4 day cruise without burrowing. I guess I could go to BCV (home) on points & pay cash for the rest??? and bank the rest of the points? Can I do that? Does MS do it all for you or do I have to book the cruise elsewhere. I could get a lower cat but not sure what's available in Handicapped rooms on higher levels. Have always stayed in cat 7 or 8. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Allison an associate
Offically DVC 7/23/03

We just booked a 7-day cruise for Aug 7th, 2004. The total cost was over 700pts for a category 6. 2 adults and 2 children. I look at it this way, I don't have to come up with the cash for the cruise or the deposit. This same cruise would of cost over $6,000 if paying with cash for the same category.

Hi DVClady:
This particular cruise would be $5299 for two adults and two children if you use a TA such as Allseas travel - http://www.allseastravel.com/ (where I got this pricing). This also included port charges and taxes.
I too am looking at purchasing DVC and cruising was one of my reasons, but there does seem to be a large discrepancy between points and cash.
Cheers,
Grumbo

We cruised on points in 2002. If we figured the "real cost" of our points, doing this saved us some money. We were planning on another cruise using a combination of points for us and cash for our 13 yo DD in fall 2004, but then DCL announced the 10 day cruise for Dec. '04, and we booked that instead. It's not available for points, and we did get a better price from a TA. So I've rented some points we would have used to cruise to help pay cash for this cruise. I thought it would be difficult, but I lucked out and found a couple of people that were planning ahead. Most renters want something soon, and it can be difficult to book their rooms. Too much calling MS to check on availability! Diana

Originally posted by Grumbo
Hi DVClady:
This particular cruise would be $5299 for two adults and two children if you use a TA such as Allseas travel - http://www.allseastravel.com/ (where I got this pricing). This also included port charges and taxes.
I too am looking at purchasing DVC and cruising was one of my reasons, but there does seem to be a large discrepancy between points and cash.
Cheers,
Grumbo

The OP said he/she used over 700 pts for this trip. If those points were rented on the rent/trade board at $7000+ they would probably around $2000 extra dollars for Souvenirs!

The OP said he/she used over 700 pts for this trip. If those points were rented on the rent/trade board at $7000+ they would probably around $2000 extra dollars for Souvenirs!

Yep :)
I am a real newbie though with DVC, so am not up on the renting/trading scene. Have read many on the Cruise board though that don't care what the points are worth and look at it as a means to cruise and just use their points.
Don't know how much hassle or difficulty you run into renting points but if it is relatively easy I think even a little work on renting points would be worth it for that much coin :)
Cheers,
Grumbo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter