DCL Europe Summer 2022 approaching - what are you doing?

We got great fares from NYC to Copenhagen so we are sticking with the August 10th. We've never been to Scandinavia, so we are happy with the new ports & the port adventures look great.

We got great fares from NYC to Copenhagen so we are sticking with the August 10th. We've never been to Scandinavia, so we are happy with the new ports & the port adventures look great.
You will loveit if you have never been to Norway. Did you rebook with the lower fares?

We are on the Aug 10 from Copenhagen. After the itinerary change, we are thinking of switching to the 11-day RCL sailing on the same day, with much better (IMHO) ports of call, and savings of $5,000. Never cruised on RCL. Can you someone offer (or point to a thread), with major drawback compared to DCL on what to expect at RCL? Thanks

We are on the Aug 10 from Copenhagen. After the itinerary change, we are thinking of switching to the 11-day RCL sailing on the same day, with much better (IMHO) ports of call, and savings of $5,000. Never cruised on RCL. Can you someone offer (or point to a thread), with major drawback compared to DCL on what to expect at RCL? Thanks
I don't think there are any drawbacks. It's just different. Booking this late you may have to do my time dining instead of having a set time. I did not find it a drawback at all you can eat when you want. The buffet is also open at night if you are not in the mood for a sit-down dinner.
On DCL dinner is an "event" so to speak on Royal it's just a meal. I thought the quality of food was comparable. Service was good, but not as personable as DCL. I prefer the dinner "event" on DCL, but there is nothing wrong with Royal.

As far as activities I think Royal offers more with things like laser tag, Ice skating, surfing. Some of these things may come at a cost, but again you are saving 5k.

I don't know what shows they are offering on that cruise, but we saw Mama Mia and Grease and they were both very good. I'm sick of DCL shows so it was a nice change.

Room host no difference in service.

No laundry room on Royal. This in my opinion is a drawback. I like to pack lite. They do have wash and fold specials. You stuff as much as can in a bag and they wash it for around 35.00 dollars. If you are saving 5k on the cruise then who cares how much you spend on laundry right?

My kids were teens when we sailed on Royal so I can't comment on the kid's clubs, but my kids liked the teen club. Not as much as they like the Vibe, but they liked it.

The adult area is better on Royal. I like the solarium it's covered and better for a potential cooler cruise like northern Europe.

I've only sailed Royal twice so I'm no expert. Hopefully, you'll get some more responses. I've looked at the cruise you are considering and that is a great itinerary. I also know they just did a 100 million dollar refurb on that ship. Good luck deciding.

I don't think there are any drawbacks. It's just different. Booking this late you may have to do my time dining instead of having a set time. I did not find it a drawback at all you can eat when you want. The buffet is also open at night if you are not in the mood for a sit-down dinner.
On DCL dinner is an "event" so to speak on Royal it's just a meal. I thought the quality of food was comparable. Service was good, but not as personable as DCL. I prefer the dinner "event" on DCL, but there is nothing wrong with Royal.

As far as activities I think Royal offers more with things like laser tag, Ice skating, surfing. Some of these things may come at a cost, but again you are saving 5k.

I don't know what shows they are offering on that cruise, but we saw Mama Mia and Grease and they were both very good. I'm sick of DCL shows so it was a nice change.

No laundry room on Royal. This in my opinion is a drawback. I like to pack lite. They do have wash and fold specials. You stuff as much as can in a bag and they wash it for around 35.00 dollars. If you are saving 5k on the cruise then who cares how much you spend on laundry right?

My kids were teens when we sailed on Royal so I can't comment on the kid's clubs, but my kids liked the teen club. Not as much as they like the Vibe, but they liked it.

The adult area is better on Royal. I like the solarium it's covered and better for a potential cooler cruise like northern Europe.

I've only sailed Royal twice so I'm no expert. Hopefully, you'll get some more responses. I've looked at the cruise you are considering and that is a great itinerary. I also know they just did a 100 million dollar refurb on that ship. Good luck deciding.
Thanks for the detailed reply on this and the other thread. Definitively disappointed with the itinerary change and tempted to cancel and book on RCL as they have plenty of balcony cabins left.

Thanks for the detailed reply on this and the other thread. Definitively disappointed with the itinerary change and tempted to cancel and book on RCL as they have plenty of balcony cabins left.
Did you check out the Royal section? There’s a Royal vs Disney thread.

You will loveit if you have never been to Norway. Did you rebook with the lower fares?
We've been trying to rebook, but can't get through to DCL. I don't have 4+ hours to wait on hold. If they would let you cancel your reservation online, it would get rid of a chunk of their calls.

We've been trying to rebook, but can't get through to DCL. I don't have 4+ hours to wait on hold. If they would let you cancel your reservation online, it would get rid of a chunk of their calls.
Try pushing 3 to book a new reservation. They’ll transfer the funds to the new res . You don’t need to wait for a refund.

I apologize for the dumb/rookie question. Why are you trying to rebook? Can you get a cheaper fare if you rebook on the same cruise you are already on?
TIA

I apologize for the dumb/rookie question. Why are you trying to rebook? Can you get a cheaper fare if you rebook on the same cruise you are already on?
TIA
They've discounted pretty much all of the European cruises by 30%. It's a guaranteed rate though and you can choose your room category, but not a specific room, therefore, you need to make a new reservation.

We have probably shifted back and forth a million times, but have held on and are still planning on taking our cruise to Greece this June! I was looking around for any updated information on entering Italy today and found that as of May 1, they have have eliminated the need to fill out the Passenger locator form! This is just one more step removed that will make things easier. Anyway, I thought others might be interested in case they are headed to Italy. These requirements could change again on June 1. I found this informtion on a UK website, but I am thinking it would be the same for all. I also do not see anything mentioned regarding the need to fill in a passenger locator form on the Italian government's page about entry requirements...but I can't remember for sure if it was mentioned there before.

All travellers

From 1 May travellers will no longer be required to complete a passenger locator form (EU PLF) to enter or travel through Italy as a visitor.

Until 30 May, all travellers, aged 6 and over, must show one of the following:

• proof of vaccination OR
  • evidence of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours before entering Italy or a negative rapid lateral flow test taken within the 48 hours before entering Italy OR
  • a COVID-19 recovery certificate, certifying that you have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months
If you cannot present evidence of vaccination OR a negative test OR a COVID-19 recovery certificate, you will need to:

• travel to your final destination in Italy by private transport
  • remain in self-isolation for 5 days
  • take another PCR or rapid lateral flow test at the end of the 5 days’ self-isolation. If the test is negative, you can leave self-isolation
All passengers entering Italy by plane, ferry, train or coach must wear an FFP2 mask in order to enter the country.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy/entry-requirements

Thanks again for the detailed response. Went back/forth on the matter multiple times, but we'll stick with DCL and the less than optimal destinations. What made us stick with DCL was the Covid testing requirements for RCL, as we'll be in Paris the week before, so arranging Covid testing looks like a hassle.
DCL does it on their bill at the port. We are looking on doing the RCL 11-night northern europe next summer, hopefully by then testing requirements have changed. tta

What made us stick with DCL was the Covid testing requirements for RCL, as we'll be in Paris the week before, so arranging Covid testing looks like a hassle.
As long as you have a laptop you can grab tests through eMed before leaving and do the tests from your hotel room. It's super easy.

We have just booked that one as well. I have not found many people discussing recent European DCL cruises and wondering how the reviews are with the current situation. We've cruises 2 times in the last 6 months out of US ports and found it to be a good experience.

I'm on the Aug 10. I'm a little skeptical about the excursion list though, the Viking museum in Oslo is closed for years for renovations, yet they are selling a couple excursions for it.

I'm on the Aug 10. I'm a little skeptical about the excursion list though, the Viking museum in Oslo is closed for years for renovations, yet they are selling a couple excursions for it.

I'm on the September Norwegian Fjords. I found the list of excursions which were available to Platinum Castaway Club members on their booking day for my cruise. The list is about half for each port.

Is your booking window open yet? If not see if you can connect with higher Castaway Club members than you and ask them to tell you whats currently available.

I'm on the September Norwegian Fjords. I found the list of excursions which were available to Platinum Castaway Club members on their booking day for my cruise. The list is about half for each port.

Is your booking window open yet? If not see if you can connect with higher Castaway Club members than you and ask them to tell you whats currently available.
Oh yeah- the booking window is open and the excursions with the museum are fully bookable, which is what I find suspicious. The museum is closed for like, 2 more years or something so it's not even questionable. I am just worried this excursion list hasn't been vetted or something and there could be others that won't happen or will be drastically changed.

Oh yeah- the booking window is open and the excursions with the museum are fully bookable, which is what I find suspicious. The museum is closed for like, 2 more years or something so it's not even questionable. I am just worried this excursion list hasn't been vetted or something and there could be others that won't happen or will be drastically changed.

Im not booking any DCL excursions, Im doing DIY in ports and plan to enjoy an empty ship on port days. Tourism in Europe has been hit very hard by Covid as well as supply chain issues due to the current situation in Ukraine. I think a lot of American DCL cruisers will have to adjust their expectations, as while America my be back to pre Covid , Europe is not.

I expect lots of DCL port excursions to be cancelled or changed last minute, like the week before sailing. Very likely this museum excursion will be cancelled.

Yes, that is what I feel also. I would love for someone to post review after just returning.
Saw a post on DCL FB group from someone that said be sure you have insurance to stay the 11 days in Europe because she felt like it was a "petri dish" ..a 'little' concerning...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter