DCL Europe Summer 2022 approaching - what are you doing?

Thanks again for the detailed response. Went back/forth on the matter multiple times, but we'll stick with DCL and the less than optimal destinations. What made us stick with DCL was the Covid testing requirements for RCL, as we'll be in Paris the week before, so arranging Covid testing looks like a hassle.
DCL does it on their bill at the port. We are looking on doing the RCL 11-night northern europe next summer, hopefully by then testing requirements have changed. tta
We went to Paris for spring break. It was easier to get a test in Paris than in the US. You walk into almost any pharmacy, show them your passport, have test, and they email you official results including QR code in about 30 mins.

We went to Paris for spring break. It was easier to get a test in Paris than in the US. You walk into almost any pharmacy, show them your passport, have test, and they email you official results including QR code in about 30 mins.
That's really good to know! We'll in Paris for a few days before our cruise from Copenhagen so if the testing for Europe cruises changes to doing it before port arrival we'll need to test in Paris.

I think a lot of American DCL cruisers will have to adjust their expectations, as while America my be back to pre Covid , Europe is not.
I would be curious what makes you believe so. I mean, genuinely curious — this is not a sarcastic question at all — as DW and I are both French and have lately cancelled our vacation in the US because we felt it wouldn't be safe for us to travel. Instead we went with DCL into the Med so that we could stay in Europe.
Saw a post on DCL FB group from someone that said be sure you have insurance to stay the 11 days in Europe because she felt like it was a "petri dish" ..a 'little' concerning...
Just my two cents but I believe if you are ready to embark on a cruise you shouldn't be concerned about whatever place in Europe as most countries have conducted a very successful vaccination campaign against Covid. Here some data for Disney's port of call:
  • Spain 88%
  • Denmark 83%
  • Italy 84%
  • France 81%
  • UK 78%
  • for reference: US 77%
Source: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
Good to know as well that, in France, the price is somewhat cheap, and regulated by law:
  • 20€ for an antigen test (usually done in pharmacy)
  • 43.89€ for a PCR test (usually done in labs)
I would recommend checking doctolib.fr to make an appointment to a pharmacy/lab. This site is free to use, it shows you a list of addresses where you can get your test (unfortunately no map, as I get this is for privacy reasons as this site might have sensitive data about, you which they don't want to transfer to an off source).

I would be curious what makes you believe so. I mean, genuinely curious — this is not a sarcastic question at all — as DW and I are both French and have lately cancelled our vacation in the US because we felt it wouldn't be safe for us to travel. Instead we went with DCL into the Med so that we could stay in Europe.

Other than here on Disboards and what people post about day to day life in America.

I have friends in California and get regular updates from them.

I watch CNN and ABC news online.

I was in California in January and have been following updates and news since I came home as I am returning in June. Since my January trip so many Covid restrictions have been removed and companies getting back to pre Covid.

One example is trains. I have an Amtrak sleeper train booked for June. Since January Amtrak have removed Covid restrictions and are back to full service. On the route I have booked, they are back to full service dining. In contrast, here in Ireland, the Irish Train Company is not back to full service dining, in fact they do not even have a trolley service on any train route and wont have until at least 2023.

I am booked on a DCL cruise in September. The 2022 European summer season for DCL has just started and almost all onboard activities and services are back to pre Covid full service. In contrast, the port excursions for European ports , both Mediterranean and Northern Europe are very limited compared to the pre Covid excursions listed on DCL website. When booking windows open, many are changed or not available.

Other than here on Disboards and what people post about day to day life in America.

I was in California in January and have been following updates and news since I came home as I am returning in June. Since my January trip so many Covid restrictions have been removed and companies getting back to pre Covid.

One example is trains. I have an Amtrak sleeper train booked for June. Since January Amtrak have removed Covid restrictions and are back to full service. On the route I have booked, they are back to full service dining. In contrast, here in Ireland, the Irish Train Company is not back to full service dining, in fact they do not even have a trolley service on any train route and wont have until at least 2023.

I am booked on a DCL cruise in September. The 2022 European summer season for DCL has just started and almost all onboard activities and services are back to pre Covid full service. In contrast, the port excursions for European ports , both Mediterranean and Northern Europe are very limited compared to the pre Covid excursions listed on DCL website. When booking windows open, many are changed or not available.
Interesting, thank you very much for sharing. In France and the countries I've visited (Spain/Italy), everything has come back to mostly how it was pre-covid (I know food is back on trains in France, didn't felt like travelling by train in other countries). Though the economy has restarted very quickly, to the point sometimes there are staff shortages, maybe that's also what's happening in Ireland with the catering gone in their trains? (just a guess, I have no clue)

The only policy still from the covid era is the mask requirements at some places, but if you ask me, I would rather have it back as I'm not feeling we're over with covid yet.

Interesting, thank you very much for sharing. In France and the countries I've visited (Spain/Italy), everything has come back to mostly how it was pre-covid (I know food is back on trains in France, didn't felt like travelling by train in other countries). Though the economy has restarted very quickly, to the point sometimes there are staff shortages, maybe that's also what's happening in Ireland with the catering gone in their trains? (just a guess, I have no clue)

The only policy still from the covid era is the mask requirements at some places, but if you ask me, I would rather have it back as I'm not feeling we're over with covid yet.
We’re the same in the UK. Everything is back to normal (except for masks in healthcare) but there are lots of staff shortages causing problems, particularly in the travel industry. Lots of cancelled or delayed planes and trains.

We’re the same in the UK. Everything is back to normal (except for masks in healthcare) but there are lots of staff shortages causing problems, particularly in the travel industry. Lots of cancelled or delayed planes and trains.
I'm flying home on BA and I'm a little concerned about that. I booked through AA using miles though so I should only have to deal with them.

I'm flying home on BA and I'm a little concerned about that. I booked through AA using miles though so I should only have to deal with them.
BA have cancelled two flights on me this year. Both times they gave me a decent amount of notice and rebooked me automatically on alternative flights the same day. It seems they just don’t have the staff to cover the usual number of flights.

BA have cancelled two flights on me this year. Both times they gave me a decent amount of notice and rebooked me automatically on alternative flights the same day. It seems they just don’t have the staff to cover the usual number of flights.

Connecting through AMS on Delta next week on my way to the med cruise. Getting really nervous as the security employees are threatening to strike on June 1 and the airport has been a mess.

Since I booked through AA I'm assuming if something happens they will rebook me on either BA or AA. I'm a frequent flyer on AA so I'm used to dealing with them. Not that they don't have their own messes, but it at least it's familiar.

I can't think of one thing that's not back to normal in my state. We have been for a while. Some of the covid changes like reduced housekeeping at hotels are due to staffing shortages or budget cuts.

Connecting through AMS on Delta next week on my way to the med cruise. Getting really nervous as the security employees are threatening to strike on June 1 and the airport has been a mess.
We were in Schiphol Airport last month. They had the nicest public restrooms I’ve ever seen in an airport. They have kind of an upscale version of a cafeteria with amazing prices/selection. I thought everyone was very friendly. So if I had to be stuck somewhere, I’d choose AMS.

Since I booked through AA I'm assuming if something happens they will rebook me on either BA or AA. I'm a frequent flyer on AA so I'm used to dealing with them. Not that they don't have their own messes, but it at least it's familiar.
I too have status on AA and have called them with my 5 million questions. I was concerned about BA cancelling our return flight home from CDG. I believe they told me that BA would handle any issues. I would investigate what the contact number is for your status level on BA (as they’re both OneWorld).

We were in Schiphol Airport last month. They had the nicest public restrooms I’ve ever seen in an airport. They have kind of an upscale version of a cafeteria with amazing prices/selection. I thought everyone was very friendly. So if I had to be stuck somewhere, I’d choose AMS.
Thanks for the positive take! I haven't flown through there, but the pictures look really nice and I have access to the KLM clubs, so it would be bearable. We also have a five day cushion before the cruise starts, so we wouldn't be as stressed as if we were cutting it close.

My son just tested positive on a home test. He is symptomatic with fever and cold like symptoms. I’m going to get him a PCR test tomorrow. If it comes back positive he’ll qualify as recently recovered for the ship and entering the US if I’m reading everything correctly.
Honestly it’s kind of relief because he’s the only one that tested negative back in December when we all had it and I knew it was just a matter of time. I shared a water bottle with him all last week at WDW and I’m negative no symptoms. No one else in the family is sick. Our antibodies are still present apparently.
It’s sounds awful to say, but I hope his PCR comes back positive it’s one less test to worry about in 2 months.

Anyone have suggestions for transportation in Munich? Free Now app? My last visit, I was at the airport Hilton & didn’t need transportation. This time, the rate is so high that I am going to need transportation. We will be staying near BMW Museum & English Gardens and flying both in/out of MUC.

Anyone have suggestions for transportation in Munich? Free Now app? My last visit, I was at the airport Hilton & didn’t need transportation. This time, the rate is so high that I am going to need transportation. We will be staying near BMW Museum & English Gardens and flying both in/out of MUC.
I used to live in Munich and loved using the public transport. Munich has 2 city train systems
  1. Ubahn - the underground system
  2. Sbahn- the overground system
The two systems are connected at various stations around the city. Once you get on the network you can basically get anywhere in Munich.

There is an underground station called Olympiazentrum about a block from The BMW Museum, which has the U3 and U8 lines. The U3 line is the line that goes direct to the main city centre part of Munich.

There is also a direct overland train the S1 which goes to the airport.

munich-map-metro-1.png

Munich also has a very good tram system.

munich-tram-map.jpg

Public transport is the way to go as said above. I just wanted to add that for the months of June through August you can get a ticket that is valid for one calendar month that only costs 9€ and it will be valid on all public transport in Germany (with the exception of long distance trains like high speed rail). But any method of transport within Munich and to the airport is covered. You can get it at any ticket vending machine or through the German railway website (www.Bahn.de). It’s called „9-Euro-Ticket“. But if your stay falls into two different months you would have to get two. One for June, one for July e.g.

Is DCL offering debarkation testing like they do in the US.
No. We just got off the Magic Saturday in Barcelona and had to arrange our own testing before flying back to the US. We were able to get an appt and the airport and it went smoothly.

No. We just got off the Magic Saturday in Barcelona and had to arrange our own testing before flying back to the US. We were able to get an appt and the airport and it went smoothly.

Do you mind if I ask how the cruise was? Service quality? Did there seem to be a lot of positive cases once on the ship?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter