DCL Europe Summer 2022 approaching - what are you doing?

We are not sailing DCL but have decided to cancel our British Isles cruise. With all the new testing requirements (4 tests for 5 people, the cost alone is ridiculous) it is becoming not fun. Hoping to either get a full refund as we moved to this cruise from a cancelled 2021 BI cruise or move to US departure with no penalty fees.

We are booked on the 11 day Baltic. Taking a wait and see approach. If DCL doesn’t extend the PIF I will most likely cancel. It doesn’t necessarily mean we won’t cruise I’m not opposed to rebooking a month or even a week out.

Another factor is I don’t approve of what’s going on in Europe right now. Things could change in a few months, but currently things seem to be going in one direction. At this point I would be surprised if DCL sails in Europe next Summer. I wish I could be more optimistic, I was a year ago. Now I am fully in the doomer camp.

We are booked on a 14 night Med cruise on Princess this June. We do not plan on cancelling, only if the cruise line cancels. We are prepared for testing, masks, etc. However, this has already been cancelled and re-booked twice - not sure I can do it a 3rd time. It's to celebrate our 25th anniversary, at this point, it's more like 27th Anniversary.

We did bulk up on Travel Insurance that includes Covid issues like a hotel stay if we have quarantine, etc.

We're cancelling Greece (for the third time). We just haven't officially cancelled yet as it has an OBB attached and it's the OLD kind with the onboard credit and we just don't know what to do with it. My husband was like, "I'm not flying that far to get there and take the covid test and get denied boarding because one of us is positive." It was anxiety-inducing enough when we were just driving for 4 hours to Galveston to think about turning around and coming home! Plus with the limited port adventures available, and this will be a bucket-list level trip, I just want to take it when we've fully settled into "new normal." I know Covid is never going away, but we're definitely not at "new normal" yet.

We went to Northern Europe this summer (2021) and a quick Google search brought us to a nearby local testing site for our flight back. We received the results via email within the hour and the cost about $50. Just sharing that it wasn't as much of a hassle as many expect.

That is because you were lucky and tested negative!

If you tested positive, it would have been many thousand dollars spent is quarantine hotels, medical expenses and lost work. Maybe insurance would cover some of this expense, but nothing would make up time and suffering.

-Paul

We are booked on a 14 night Med cruise on Princess this June. We do not plan on cancelling, only if the cruise line cancels. We are prepared for testing, masks, etc. However, this has already been cancelled and re-booked twice - not sure I can do it a 3rd time. It's to celebrate our 25th anniversary, at this point, it's more like 27th Anniversary.

We did bulk up on Travel Insurance that includes Covid issues like a hotel stay if we have quarantine, etc.
Where did you buy your insurance?

We too are waiting until January for a decision on our Mediterranean cruise with kids. Most likely it will be a no go. I don't see how July will be much better than now in terms of restrictions, tests, and masks. This is a once in a lifetime vacation and I'm not going to risk having an asymptomatic positive test in one if our party denying us boarding. I also have reservations about possible port restrictions/shore excursion limitations altering our itinerary.

It is so frustrating cancelling this trip year after year post pandemic. Maybe this new normal will never change but I am not willing to place so much money on "if you test negative', even with insurance.

What exactly are the current restrictions? Do you have to get tested before entering each country or is it just once for the whole EU?

Not with Disney but we are booked in June on 2 week trip starting in Budapest, river cruising to Germany then land trip to Oberammagau, Germany to see the Passion Play (postponed since 2020) then Munich. In July we are booked on 2 week Holland America Norway fjords cruise out of Amsterdam with a pre-trip to Iceland. About 10 days between end of one and start of next. We originally thought we'd stay in Europe for those days on our own. Now not sure. Will wait it out....have insurance.

We are booked for the second time on the British Isles cruise for 9/11/22. As of right now we have only paid the refundable deposit, reluctant to invest money in hotel or air fare. I'm very skeptical that we'll take this cruise, our PIF is May, so we'll continue to watch what's going on in the world before we decide. For me, the planning was half the fun, now it's all very stressful.

What exactly are the current restrictions? Do you have to get tested before entering each country or is it just once for the whole EU?

Each country has their own entry requirements so you need to check the specific requirements for each individual country you wish to visit.
  • Some countries are requiring LFT / Antigen tests before arrival.
  • Some countries are requiring a Passenger Locator Form before arrival
  • Some countries are requiring testing after arrival
  • Some countries are requiring proof of vaccine for indoor dining, events etc.
  • Some countries have mask mandates for retail, public transport, all indoor places.
  • Some countries have capacity limits on indoor dining, retail, indoor places

The cruise is very expensive, as are flights at this time. And, there is just too much uncertainty both here and in Europe.

We have planned a National parks trip for next summer. We will get to Iceland some day!

I have the exact same concerns as you. Too much $$ to risk getting denied boarding & then go into quarantine for who knows how long and where.
I will hold off PIF until the very last day. Unless there is a miraculous improvement in Europe & tests at the port are scrapped, we're gonna cancel. Breaks my heart because this was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime.
I hate this stupid virus.

We are booked on the 12 night Greece/Italy - and I’m starting to have doubts. Haven’t bought flights yet, but concerned that we won’t have as much flexibility to do our own excursions (which is what made our 2019 Iceland/Uk/Norway such an amazing trip).

I assume we will just keep an eye and make a call sometime in early 2022

Each country has their own requirements.
Thanks, I had time to do a little research on it yesterday. What's going on now doesn't mean it's what's going to be going on 6 months from now. Although I'm not optimistic I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel. What makes it problematic is the cost of a Disney cruise and the non-refundable aspect. DCL could adjust both of those things and make it a little less stressful for people on the fence.

If they get enough cancellations they may do just that. I remember many cruise lines last Summer had a 24-hour before sailing cancellation policy. I wish I enjoyed land trips because it would be so much easier.

Each country has their own entry requirements so you need to check the specific requirements for each individual country you wish to visit.
  • Some countries are requiring LFT / Antigen tests before arrival.
  • Some countries are requiring a Passenger Locator Form before arrival
  • Some countries are requiring testing after arrival
  • Some countries are requiring proof of vaccine for indoor dining, events etc.
  • Some countries have mask mandates for retail, public transport, all indoor places.
  • Some countries have capacity limits on indoor dining, retail, indoor places
I know there have been some cruise lines sailing in Europe. MSC comes to mind. Do you know how they manage all the different requirements when they are sailing to multiple countries?

I know there have been some cruise lines sailing in Europe. MSC comes to mind. Do you know how they manage all the different requirements when they are sailing to multiple countries?

I recently watched some UK Vloggers on a Mediterranean Royal Caribbean cruise in October 2021. For the Italian ports they could only get off the ship if they did a Royal Caribbean excursion. For the Spanish ports they could do DIY in the ports, they didn't have to do the Royal Caribbean excursions.

I've got b2b EBTA and Med cruises scheduled for May.

If I had to fly to Europe, I'd most definitely cancel, but since I only have to fly one way (home), I'm still on the fence. I mean, getting stuck in Barcelona would be annoying, but make for a good story. I'm okay only doing Disney excursions if it comes to that.

In the end, I feel like I'd rather do it with restrictions than not do it at all. That said I will be waiting til the very last moment possible to PIF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter