DCL credit for cancelled 2021 cruise

NJ11211248

Earning My Ears
We booked a 2021 cruise that was cancelled because DCL did not resume cruising until 8/2021. When I spoke to them at the time they offered a 25% future cruise credit if we rebooked rather than get a 100% refund (so they could keep the money). I took them up on the offer but when I took the cruise last week magically there was no credit onboard even though it was promised. I booked essentially the same cruise as was cancelled so I am sure it was not 25% more expensive. Has anyone had any luck in getting this credit? Disney just keeps telling me that things were new last year and not everyone knew what they were saying.

If I'm not mistaken, you were offered a future cruise credit equal to 125% of your original cruise fare to be used toward the booking of a future cruise - did you not mention your credit when you booked the cruise you took last week?

Yes. Your new cruise would have had to have been 25% less than the one cancelled to have left over credit. If it wasn't, your "credit" went towards the new cruise.

If I'm not mistaken, you were offered a future cruise credit equal to 125% of your original cruise fare to be used toward the booking of a future cruise - did you not mention your credit when you booked the cruise you took last week?
X-2

I booked at the same time as my cancellation last year as was told that I would have an onboard credit (difference between the 25% and the value of the cruise this year) to use that they will tell me the value of when I boarded last week. When I boarded the cruise there was no credit listed and was told by guest relations on board this has happened before and that they would check but they had never been successful in finding the credit before as this has happened to multiple guests. I did not expect the full amount as cruises did increase in price but I doubt they increased 25%. When I called Disney they refused to give me the accounting of how much the 2021 cruise was (I have this in my CC statement) or the value of the cruise I just took. When I rebooked the rep could not estimate the difference. In hindsight I should have insisted. Disney used to honor their promises not any more. They just told me essentially “too bad so sad”

When we went to use our credit from a cancelled 2020 cruise in 2021, the price had indeed gone up and used most of the FCC.

I booked at the same time as my cancellation last year as was told that I would have an onboard credit (difference between the 25% and the value of the cruise this year) to use that they will tell me the value of when I boarded last week.
Don't forget that the 125% was only on the base fare and did not include port fees or insurance if you bought that. So if either of the those, also increased, it would have taken more of the credit.

If you're able I would go back through your receipts for how much each cruise was and how much of the original fare you had paid before it was cancelled. Even if it seems like the same cruise it may not be; fares go up every year and can differ even in the same week year over year depending on school schedules and floating holidays.

Yes, tell us what your fare was for your cancelled cruise and what the fare was for your new cruise. Don’t just complain without providing all of the relevant information.

So I think you need to document everything! This is what I've had to do for my upcoming cruise as it got so messy. I had 1 initial cruise in 2020 that then went to FCC and went on 2 cruises in 2021 which then went to FCC again and went on 2 further cruises. I've now changed it all to one cruise & WDW stay so its been very bitty with somethings being refunded (taxes etc) and some things still being FCC. I've got around $200 left that I think is still FCC that is unused and I'm expecting as OBC but its so difficult to keep track of. This is what I've had to put on a spreadsheet
  1. Initial Cruise Fare ONLY
  2. 25% value = No.1 * 0.25
  3. Actual Cruise & WDW trip
  4. Remaining balance = No. 2 - No. 3
  5. Any refunds received
  6. Remaining amount for OBC = No. 4 - No. 5
This is then what I am planning on showing along with my credit card values to DCL to prove any missing amount but in all honesty I think that there will be a lot of people missing out on FCC because they haven't kept track on these things.

We had so much FCC floating around from 5 cancellations/adjustments I had to go back to the beginning and create an excel doc to track all of it.

It all ended up matching in the end though some of it had to be researched cause it ‘got lost’ between cancellations- but because I knew where to look it was quickly found.

The math on these
So I think you need to document everything! This is what I've had to do for my upcoming cruise as it got so messy. I had 1 initial cruise in 2020 that then went to FCC and went on 2 cruises in 2021 which then went to FCC again and went on 2 further cruises. I've now changed it all to one cruise & WDW stay so its been very bitty with somethings being refunded (taxes etc) and some things still being FCC. I've got around $200 left that I think is still FCC that is unused and I'm expecting as OBC but its so difficult to keep track of. This is what I've had to put on a spreadsheet
  1. Initial Cruise Fare ONLY
  2. 25% value = No.1 * 0.25
  3. Actual Cruise & WDW trip
  4. Remaining balance = No. 2 - No. 3
  5. Any refunds received
  6. Remaining amount for OBC = No. 4 - No. 5
This is then what I am planning on showing along with my credit card values to DCL to prove any missing amount but in all honesty I think that there will be a lot of people missing out on FCC because they haven't kept track on these things.
The math gets a little complicated because of the taxes/fees on the original cruise, which should have been refunded shortly after the original cruise was cancelled.

So... chances are that you paid DCL a deposit when you booked and then the remainder when you Paid In Full (PIF). Then after the trip was cancelled, you should have received a refund of the taxes and fees. The remainder gets the 25% bonus, so multiply the balance by 1.25. Then subtract out the cost of the new cruise including taxes.

There's an excellent chance the original poster forgot about the refunded taxes and fees, and that most of the flexible cruise credit was used for the taxes and fees on the 2022 cruise...and a hike in the price of the cruise.

I did my math multiple times, and everything turned out correct in the end, though I had to work at it multiple times. We were supposed to be on one of the very first COVID cancelled cruises. (Cancelled the night before we were supposed to fly to Florida. :-( ) We got a refund of the taxes and fees in April 2020, and rebooked three more times, and the FCC was all checking out with each cruise. Then two weeks before we were finally going on our cruise, we had a medical issue pop up and we had to cancel again. We ended up getting everything refunded, but it all came back piecemeal... and in the end, it all tied out to our deposit paid in 2018 and our PIF amount in late 2019.

Because each cruise was different, we always had a different amount left for OBC on each attempt at a cruise. But the 2021 and 2022 cruises were each more expensive (for similar rooms) than the year before.

We booked a 2021 cruise that was cancelled because DCL did not resume cruising until 8/2021. When I spoke to them at the time they offered a 25% future cruise credit if we rebooked rather than get a 100% refund (so they could keep the money). I took them up on the offer but when I took the cruise last week magically there was no credit onboard even though it was promised. I booked essentially the same cruise as was cancelled so I am sure it was not 25% more expensive. Has anyone had any luck in getting this credit? Disney just keeps telling me that things were new last year and not everyone knew what they were saying.
That's terrible to hear. When we rebooked with the FCC's, we were told we would get a huge OBB. Would hate for the same thing to happen. Wishing you the best in getting this straightened out, OP.

We took the FCC. Taxes refunded when we chose to cancel cruise. New cruise fare was more expensive. And FCC of old cruise fare also did cover taxes and fees. We got about $12 in Onboard Credit. The phone agent confirmed this when we booked our replacement cruise. And it was listed on our onboard account on the stateroom TV. Plus we received the Onboard Booking Credit ($100) from 2 years previously.

Last edited:
Our original cruise:

543C23D8-C791-40E2-9183-0E53855A50F1.jpeg

What we ultimately sailed:

4D9DB385-F4F9-405A-93AD-426EE52041C7.jpeg

The cruise fare did not go up 25%, but it did increase and FCC also covered taxes and fees. The refund was in the form of onboard credit.

It is very possible that a change in ship, itinerary, or seasonal price adjustments could eat up your FCC.

Thes above are from emails from DCL. Did you trash yours?

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter