DCL carry-on alcohol policy changing Sept. 30 2015

@sweetpee_1993 I wasn't aware they sold whole bottles of hard liquor from the bars, but thanks for heads up!
I wonder what dcl's policy will now be if I go ashore in coz or key west, get absolutely blasted with my buddies in a bar, then get my light drinking wife to buy us guys a couple of bottles of patron from a bar to drink up on deck around 2am with cigars ;) We would be very sensible and no trouble. Honestly!
It kind of negates @DISNEY FANTASY 's theory that there will be no trouble, rowdy behavior or vomiting?

Look, this isn't even about me. I can't imagine wanting to drink more than 4 bottles of wine, and my DH doesn't really drink, so I'm set under this policy. It's about other people, like my parents, who might want a cocktail on their veranda, and who got screwed over by the late policy change.

My parents have cruised a lot. They like to drink. Will they pay for their drinks on this upcoming cruise? Of course. Will they go on this cruise despite the change? Yes. They're not really concerned about the price, but they're also retired millionaires, so they're not really the average DCL guest. Still, will they go on another DCL cruise? No, why would they? They can get much better deals through other lines. What does DCL have to offer them? They've been everywhere DCL sails. They might like the children's programs since they now have a granddaughter to spoil, but in all honesty, I had tons of fun in cruise kids clubs long before Disney ever had a cruise line. DCL does NOT have a lock on the market. If I want characters I can just go to WDW for much cheaper.

I will be interested to see what other options you find that let you bring liquor aboard - I don't think any of the major cruise lines do...

Well, after our scheduled DCL cruise my parents are going on an NCL cruise with all drinks included, for less than half the price. So, yeah....you can find better boozing options.

I know most people are responsible with their booze. I also know that teens sneak booze
pretty frequently. Not a great thing on a ship.

Yes, teens have managed to sneak booze on every ship I've ever been on, and I've never been on DCL. If you don't want teens drinking, raise better kids.

I can't believe how much this has pissed me off - but it struck a nerve. We're wine lovers, and we love DCL, and have another cruise booked in April. But the wine selection on DCL just sucks, but what made it work is that we could bring good wine. The wine selection in the MDRs is a crime it's so bad, and the good stuff in Remy and Palo costs about as much as college tuition. The lack of imagination, choice - and reasonable prices - in both the wine and beer selection, has driven people like us to carry our own with us.

On our last cruise we brought a hard-sided suitcase, specifically designed to carry wine. We weren't trying to save lots of money - we just wanted to drink good wine on our beautiful cruise, and don't think that's asking too much. But with a 4 bottle limit (and there's no way I can stumble upon wine I really want while in a port) for a whole cruise means that I'm either drinking crap wine for 3 nights, or getting fleeced for 3 nights. Neither is really acceptable on an otherwise outstanding vacation that costs me almost 7k. Maybe it really is time to look elsewhere.
I agree but the problem is that all cruise lines restrict carry on wine. There is no alternative

It's less likely for them to be served alcohol, and on a Disney cruise, I think it's also less likely that an adult would be buying a teen drinks. I'm just glad that there aren't places for kids to gather alone and drink. As I said, it wouldn't be a popular opinion, but since for us the cruise is a family getaway, having it be just a bit safer is ok in my book.

Obviously you haven't seen the videos by the teens who drank in groups onboard in the stairwells and vandalized things throughout the ship a few years ago. People aren't better just because they are on a DCL ship. My advice is not to let your guard down just because the mouse is involved.

This won't be a terribly popular opinion, but I'm glad that they are limiting the type and quantity of alcohol brought on board. I wasn't happy with the idea of booze in the fish extenders, nor the idea of large amounts of alcohol available in the cabins. I saw large numbers of teens roaming around the ship, and I feel more comfortable for my own kids knowing that other rooms don't have huge stashes of hard liquor available. Kids do dumb things, I know I did as a teenager. As a cruise line catering mainly to families, I'd think limiting people to wine and beer in lower quantities will reduce liability for everyone.

I know most people are responsible with their booze. I also know that teens sneak booze pretty frequently. Not a great thing on a ship.

...what???? I'm sorry as an adult I enjoyed the perk that was associated with it and having a drink or brining your own on does not in anyway effect your family and the associated teenagers.

Also reduce what liability their doing this so you buy their overpriced drinks. You would have a valid point if the cruise offered no drinks then I could see - however now the overpriced cruise is just that, and overpriced cruise with the many benefits that makes biting he bullet a little easier.

Ok why would I not be allowed to bring coolers on like Smirnoff Ice? It @ the same alcohol content as beer? That is normally what I drink if I do drink.

because dcl is run by this guy
Karl.png

a>

Obviously you haven't seen the videos by the teens who drank in groups onboard in the stairwells and vandalized things throughout the ship a few years ago. People aren't better just because they are on a DCL ship. My advice is not to let your guard down just because the mouse is involved.

I remember the video very well.

Ironically, I can do shot after shot of tequila and feel (and behave) fine. 2 glasses of wine and I am somehow naked and dancing on a table...so all in all...Disney's new policy just allows me to be a lot more fun...a lot quicker and for a lot less money...hahahahahaha! :dogdance:

wine does me too, but I hate wine, though drank it once and got to me fast.

Started this post hours ago on my phone, replied to others on my computer, now I'm on my phone again lol

So they don't want you to consume your own alcohol in public spaces but its ok if you buy it from one of their bars and walk around public spaces?

Of course. Lol

What "mickey mail policy"?

You got the answer, but I'm still mystified as to the name Mickey mail. That's what we get before WDW/dcl trips. Not things we give them and get back. Confusing. :)

Booze packages do not work they encourage over drinking to get your money's worth. They would have to do it for all audits in a cabin as on other lines one adult gets it and then passes the drinks to others.

Royal sells packages to individuals in a cabin. As dug mentioned, they have ways to curtail sharing. And imo most people will get a package of it suits their drinking plans. Not match drinking plans to package.

You'll understand it better next year when they eliminate the "free" soda, but don't lower the cost of the cruise.

Then everyone will be in my boat, as we don't drink soda but aunsidiE it for others on dcl. Of course I wish they'd lower the cost overall them charge soda users for soda, but we know they won't.

...but if fellow cruisers buy a lot of Russain vodka and booze...

PS At no point on this thread did I refer to soda, let alone free soda so I am not sure why you incorrectly quote me on that?

Gotta tell us, it's super hard to buy Russian vodka in Grand Cayman. I believe you also mentioned beer or something from St Petersburg? Those things don't apply to any cruises but the European ones.

She used a separate paragraph to indicate a different thought, and didn't even mention you in regards to the soda.

... rather than someone's "oh let's throw these songs together and say this is the storyline"...

Give just described what I imagine the creators of the Golden Mickeys did. :)

You've just described
Up to you to believe what you want, I find DCL prices reasonable compared to land based restaurants and pubs.

But you're from England, right? Prices there are just a touch different from in the U.S.

Yep, tequila learning experience (haven't we all done that?) on a Disney cruise.

Oh the poor thing. I mean, he did it to himself, just like I did, (and at about the same age) but I definitely have empathy.

If I only had one glass of wine for each dinner, two bottles would almost get me through a seven night cruise. There are about three glasses in a bottle.

I get 5 because I measure a 5 fl oz pour for weight watching purposes.

Most couples share a bottle per night. You buy a bottle of wine with dinner you drink it. How could a bottle last a week. It tastes yucky if its been open more than 48 hours.

Ooh I disagree! Get a "vacuvin" and use it well and wine can stay decent.

FACT

Vomit from being drunk spreads germs.

Only if the person is sick. Were they sick? Did maintenance not come in and clean thoroughly?

Wow reading Disney Fantasy's post made me search my bar for a bottle of that strong Russian vodka their talking about;)

Granted we have only been on ten cruises, but I have only seen one drunk, and it was a loud young lady pounding Martinis in skyline. Thankfully she was a funny drunk. I have a hard time believing this was a huge issue with drunks stumbling all over the place causing issues. Will it happen sometimes where security is called, sure, but for someone to make a sweeping accusation that because the saw it on their cruise(s) is looney tunes (couldn't think of a Disney reference;) ) Bet they still have drunks causing trouble even with the new policy, next step a dry ship.

I will also admit to a once a day rule breaker, we would either mix a rum and coke in the room in a drink station cup, or in a corner or sheltered space on deck so others wouldn't see. We would also buy some on board, but will no longer do so. If you want to rip me go ahead, but we travel on land cheaply too and rarely eat out on vacations, we pack food and drinks instead to save money so we can travel more.

What may have tipped it too is that we did see some on a couple of cruises openly pouring from full bottles on deck and asking cms for glasses, they weren't drunk though. Ultimately I agree with many that it is a money grab by DCL.

This is really disheartening and lowers the appeal of our upcoming cruise. We cruised with DCL last year despite our misgivings that we weren't really a cruise family. However, we enjoyed it so much that we booked a repeat cruise this December. We bought a wine package with dinner, and we bought cocktails whenever we went to hang out in the lounges at night, so we definitely spent money on alcohol on the cruise. However, we bought one bottle of rum in Nassau and enjoyed having mixed drinks in our room on the veranda. We were never, ever drunk, but there was something delightful about drinking a Pomegranate Lemonade with rum in our rooms without having a worry about a bar tab at the end of the trip. It honestly was a little mental perk that truly made my husband happy -- "Hey, look at all this money I'm saving." DCL is more expensive than other cruises, and there's no way that we came even close to breaking even with the money we saved on the costs of our mixed drinks to what we would have paid on another line. But just the illusion of the value we were able to get from that $15 bottle of rum made us more likely to open our wallets and spend plenty of money elsewhere on the cruise -- excursions, alcohol in public areas, etc. I think the $25 corkage fee is ridiculous, too.
Hey Calikt, I think we are on the same cruise...and I agree...this does lower the appeal of our upcoming cruise...I told my husband about this when he got home from work, and he was LIVID! It was part of our money saving plan to justify the expense of the Disney cruise. Guess we just have to keep blowing up the Disney phone lines and email. If for nothing more, than to know we displayed our distaste. I for one, think all PIF cruisers should be granted on board credit. This would have saved our group HUNDREDS of dollars (we have 5 cabins).

I for one, think all PIF cruisers should be granted on board credit. This would have saved our group HUNDREDS of dollars (we have 5 cabins).

I'm with you 100%, but there's no way they would be able to do it for just the PIF cruisers (which includes me). They'd have to rescind the policy for any existing cruise that has already passed the no fee cancellation date (or don't rescind at all).

Which makes me wonder why they just didn't do that in the first place. You can't tell me they haven't been considering this for a while. Why not just put out a release that says something like "6 months from now, this policy will go into effect". Then at least you've covered your cruisers who can't make alternate plans.

I can't believe a big company like Disney never thought of that. The alternative is they just don't care. Not sure which is worse considering this is Disney (who supposedly go above and beyond for people).

If there isn't loads of alcohol in their parents rooms, I think this will less likely to happen. Not impossible, but less likely.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter