DCA rope drop strategy

proud_canadian

DIS Veteran
Attending on a day with no early entry. At park opening was thinking of going straight to TSM, riding 2 times (if we can before lines get long).

Then going for RSR fastpasses, and then Soarin fp and ride Soarin (if standby is not too long).

Then peruse the rest of the park at our leisure.

This will be midweek, in Sept, when the park opens at 10.

Is this a reasonable plan, or do you still think we need to get RSR fastpasses first?

We will likely be staying in the parks all day till closing, so am not worried about getting a later in the day fp.

Attending on a day with no early entry. At park opening was thinking of going straight to TSM, riding 2 times (if we can before lines get long).

Then going for RSR fastpasses, and then Soarin fp and ride Soarin (if standby is not too long).

Is this a reasonable plan, or do you still think we need to get RSR fastpasses first?

We will likely be staying in the parks all day till closing, so am not worried about getting a later in the day fp.

I'm a WDW vet, but DL newbie, but I think FP there is the same concept, and therefore you couldn't get a RSR fastpass and then rush over to Soarin' and get another. You have to wait 2 hours between fastpasses.

I think no one knows what rsr will be like in year 2 of the "offseason"
I'll tell ya when fps are gone when we are there sept 9 and 10 though

For the pp. rsr is disconnected so you can get both fps

I think no one knows what rsr will be like in year 2 of the "offseason"
I'll tell ya when fps are gone when we are there sept 9 and 10 though

For the pp. rsr is disconnected so you can get both fps

Thanks, that'd good too know! I thought only WOC was disconnected. Why does Disneyland have to be so confusing?? :)

We will be there week of Aug 9th too.

Forgot about CS! So maybe we will do:

1) TSM 2 times
2) Get CS FP
3) Get RSR FP
4) Get Soarin FP
5) Ride Soarin if reasonable

Also want to get WOC fp at some point, where are those located? Somewhere on the way back from TSM towards Soarin?

We will be there week of Aug 9th too.

Forgot about CS! So maybe we will do:

1) TSM 2 times
2) Get CS FP
3) Get RSR FP
4) Get Soarin FP
5) Ride Soarin if reasonable

Also want to get WOC fp at some point, where are those located? Somewhere on the way back from TSM towards Soarin?

If you're there at rope drop and close to the front, IMO you should do RSR first by using Wide Right then head over to ride TSMM a couple of times, grabbing FPs for CS on the way by. Then head back over and send a FP runner to grab FPs for RSR, WOC, Soarin' etc.

Brian

Yeah I have two kids, one of which is in a stroller, so don't think I want to mess with wide right!!!

Not to mention that the ride is not always running when the park opens.

OP, your plan sounds good, but I would ride CS vs getting the FP since you will be right there when you go to TSMM, and there will likely be no line. If in the event the FP is not disconnected (seems like reports vary), it may affect getting your RSR FP. I would ride CS and get the RSR FP first, them get Soarin and maybe try for a CS FP at that time.
Have fun!

Not to mention that the ride is not always running when the park opens.

OP, your plan sounds good, but I would ride CS vs getting the FP since you will be right there when you go to TSMM, and there will likely be no line. If in the event the FP is not disconnected (seems like reports vary), it may affect getting your RSR FP. I would ride CS and get the RSR FP first, them get Soarin and maybe try for a CS FP at that time.
Have fun!

Wide ride is easy with a stroller, we did it with a stroller and 2 kids. There is stroller parking available.

If RSR is down then you will be right at the cut across through the pier to get to TSMM.

I agree with riding CS while you are there. There will most likely be no line at all. Might as well ride it and then head to TSMM.

Wide ride is easy with a stroller, we did it with a stroller and 2 kids. There is stroller parking available.

If RSR is down then you will be right at the cut across through the pier to get to TSMM.

I agree with riding CS while you are there. There will most likely be no line at all. Might as well ride it and then head to TSMM.

Wide Right is a personal preference. I have done it with success in the past, but prefer to grab a FP in order to ride it. I like to use the opening time to ride other attractions that do not have FP available.

I'm a WDW vet, but DL newbie, but I think FP there is the same concept, and therefore you couldn't get a RSR fastpass and then rush over to Soarin' and get another. You have to wait 2 hours between fastpasses.
Actually you can. This is one of the idiosyncracies about DLR FP vs. WDW is that they have what are commonly called "disconnected" FPs for some rides. A better word is independent FPs. At DLR currently this applies to RSR and California Screamin. The RSR FP explicitly says as much while the CS one does not. At least as of two weeks ago. I think I have a photo of the RSR FP and will go try and find it and post it here FYI.

:wizard:

Actually you can. This is one of the idiosyncracies about DLR FP vs. WDW is that they have what are commonly called "disconnected" FPs for some rides. A better word is independent FPs. At DLR currently this applies to RSR and California Screamin. The RSR FP explicitly says as much while the CS one does not. At least as of two weeks ago. I think I have a photo of the RSR FP and will go try and find it and post it here FYI.

:wizard:
See the text at the bottom of the RSR FP? That is saying you can get another FP independent of RSR. This is commonly known around here and I did it myself on Aug 7. :) RSR FP and then Soarin FP within 5 minutes of each other.

For more info on this see "The Fastpass Encyclopedia: Everything you need to know about FPs at DLR" by mysteriouspnai http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3094011

We've used this same strategy several times, and had no problems with it.

I don't see why what you've outlined, isn't reasonable, or wouldn't work(make sure your fast pass window is open, so that you can pull them for Soarin'.:)

If you're there at rope drop and close to the front, IMO you should do RSR first by using Wide Right then head over to ride TSMM a couple of times, grabbing FPs for CS on the way by. Then head back over and send a FP runner to grab FPs for RSR, WOC, Soarin' etc.

Brian

What is the wide right method again? I remember seeing this a while back when I was researching my 2012 trip, but am having trouble remembering. I'll be at DLR in a week! Can't wait!

What is the wide right method again? I remember seeing this a while back when I was researching my 2012 trip, but am having trouble remembering. I'll be at DLR in a week! Can't wait!

The "Wide Right" technique is where you wait at the rope(where they hold everyone outside of Cars Land), before it officially opens.

At that point, the Cms holding the rope(which is stretched all across the street), will slowly walk everyone waiting, up toward Radiator Springs Racers.

You want to get up toward the front of that rope, and as far to the right, as you can--right behind the CM holding the right side of the rope, if possible!

You will be led up the street into Cars Land, and everyone will begin to be funneled to the right side of the road into a single file line.

If you happen to be at the left side of the street, this means you will most likely be pushed/shoved to the back of the line, as everyone scrambles/fights to get to the right.

It sounds horrible, but actually isn't too bad(in my opinion), if you hold your position at the right, and stay right behind that CM.

Hope that helps:)!

The "Wide Right" technique is where you wait at the rope(where they hold everyone outside of Cars Land), before it officially opens.

At that point, the Cms holding the rope(which is stretched all across the street), will slowly walk everyone waiting, up toward Radiator Springs Racers.

You want to get up toward the front of that rope, and as far to the right, as you can--right behind the CM holding the right side of the rope, if possible!

You will be led up the street into Cars Land, and everyone will begin to be funneled to the right side of the road into a single file line.

If you happen to be at the left side of the street, this means you will most likely be pushed/shoved to the back of the line, as everyone scrambles/fights to get to the right.

It sounds horrible, but actually isn't too bad(in my opinion), if you hold your position at the right, and stay right behind that CM.

Hope that helps:)!

Okay~ so I just added that to my notes!!! if you are on the right hand side behind the CM are you right at the entrance of RSR when they actually drop the rope or is there still more maneuvering to do?

Okay~ so I just added that to my notes!!! if you are on the right hand side behind the CM are you right at the entrance of RSR when they actually drop the rope or is there still more maneuvering to do?

If you manage to be right behind that CM(or not far behind), you will be taken right up to the queue entry point of RSR. The only maneuvering you might have to do, is if someone tries to dart in front of you(it can and does happen)--so hold your ground!

Hi, We're going to DL this weekend, and we'll be heading to DCA on a non-early entry day. We've used the wide right in the recent past with success. I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that DCA is now using the same opening procedure as DHS - once you are through the turnstile, there is no rope drop and you are free to proceed to the attractions. Has anyone experienced this at DCA recently??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter