Daughters dancing at Disney-questions

Sue in PA

Earning My Ears
Hi. I just signed on as a member and I have some questions. My two girls will be dancing with their dance school in the magic Kingdom in June. We will be staying with an all inclusive package at the All Star music for 5 nights, with a 5 day park hopper pass.
My girls will be performing in a 30 minute show somewhere in Tomorrow Land. As far as I have been told, I believe there is no seating available for the audience. We will have to stand to see the show. I am concerned for two reasons. My parents, who live in Florida will be driving in to see their grandchildren dance! they are elderly and will not be able to stand in one place for 30 minutes, although they can walk and get around. Also, I have a bad back and fibromyalgia. I too will n ot be able to stand for 30 minutes in one place. I don't have any more details re dates and exact location. The dance school has done this before and I was told there was no seating around 4 or 5 years ago. I like to plan things in advance! (less stress!) Any suggestions regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

The other question I have is the special pass I have seen mentioned on this board. Can you get this at the hotels, or do you need to see someone immediately upon entering the park?
I forgot what this was called, sorry. This may be useful for me if there are long lines that don't move quickly. I am OK, I think if I keep moving, but again standing still will be a killer. If there was a place to sit and then just meet my family when they move through the line, that would be OK too. I haven't been to Disney in a long time, so the fastpass and getting thru with an invisible disability is all new to me. Do you recommend a doctor's note?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Welcome to disABILITIES.
That's pretty exciting to have kids dancing at WDW. I don't know about the sitting vs standing for the show part. There is a stage area at the end of Fantasyland. I believe there are benches in there, but I'm not sure. I can't think of any place else that they might be dancing in Tomorrowland. If no one else knows, you could try emailing WDW from the official Disney site at www.disney.com
The other question I have is the special pass I have seen mentioned on this board. Can you get this at the hotels, or do you need to see someone immediately upon entering the park?
It's called a Guest Assistance Card (we usually abbreviate it on the boards as GAC). They changed the name to not include the word "pass" a few years ago because "pass" made people think that it gave immedicate access to rides/attractions. You can request one at Guest Services in any of the parks. You can request a GAC at any time during your stay and the GAC will be valid for all parks for the duration of your stay. Be able to explain what difficulties you will have waiting in lines. They do not require a doctor's letter, but a lot of people do bring one for "invisible" disabilities because it makes them feel more secure about asking.
There are not a lot of rides/attractions where you can sit for your wait, even with a GAC. Once you are in line, most of the lines do keep moving (although often the movement is slow) and most of the lines are too narrow for any benches.
FastPass will be very useful to you. You can send one member of your party ahead to the fastpass machine with all your passes. The fastpass will have a time period for you to return and your wait in line at that time will be less than 15 minutes.
Here's a link to the DIS page about Fastpass info.

I can remember two stage areas in Tomorrowland. One is the Galaxy Palace Theater that I think Sue is referring to. It has lots of bench seating. The other spot is called the Tomorrowland Stage and sounds more likely to be what has been described to you. It is sort of in front of the plaza leading to Space Mountain and there is no seating. There are some tables with chairs on the North side of the entrance to said plaza but I don't think you could see the stage from there.

Perhaps the best bet for the three of you would be to rent ECVs for that day...your seat would be built in.:D

you are right, BCV. I looked at my map and the place I was thinking of is the Galaxy Palace Theater. It even has a little picture that show benches on the map. I found the Tomorrowland Stage on the map too. I don't remember seeing it before. maybe because on the map it just shows a small area in front of Space Mountain.
If you decide to rent ecvs, here's a list of the off-site places that DIS posters report renting from.
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

Some posters have also taken canes that have a small fold-out seat attached. I have seen people using those in lines and for shows/parades where they would otherwise have to stand.

I definitely will look into the GAC pass. The situation with the Tomorrowland stage will a problem however. Renting the Electronic chairs for the day is definitely overkill and I know my parents won't need that. It seems inconceivable that disney expects people to stand in one place like that for 30 minutes.
I can't imagine that Disney can't provide chairs or something for a short amount of time. I think my next step is to speak with the dance teacher and see if I can get a name of someone at Disney that they are working with. I will have to wait a few weeks until after spring break to talk with her. Meanwhile if anyone has any other suggestions, I will certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

That stage doesn't have chairs, plain and simple. For most people standing 30 minutes is not a problem. Or you can do what many do and sit on the ground during the show. It is that way at several of the performance areas. I seriously doubt that Disney is going to provide seating for you.
While access is required totally changing the venue by bringing in chairs is not and should not be expected.
As others have suggested, bring an ECV or wheelchair yourself. Or if there are chairs nearby drag them over to sit on if a castmember will allow. Or just sit on the ground if you are able. I know I can't but have w/c will travel.

Sue in PA I think the reason there are no chairs is that it is a stage in an area where people are always walking by. Most people stop and watch a show for a few minutes or just watch as they pass. Of course parents will watch the whole show.

I know you feel the ECV are over kill [I would have till I tryed it this year!! You save your energy for getting on the rides and I found that as I wasn't hurting I wasn't cranky. Making the whole trip more enjoyable for all. And I had the freedom to go where I needed too!! And be comfortable,too!! My MIL walked the San Diego Zoo but I needed the ECV to keep up. But when we took the Sky Way she rode the scooter to the other side of the park to meet us and she found that the scooter really helped Her!!]

But what about renting Wheelchairs for the performance?? You will have a seat and save yourself the pain of standing. And as you do have legitimate illness you don't need to feel guilty. We all need help occasionally!!

my mil has trouble walking/standing, and she often carrys a walking stick that has a little seat on the end of it - I have no idea where she got it from, but if you could find something like this, then it might be quite useful for this situation.

hers looks like this Walking Stick Seat

but this one looks even better

3 legged walking stick seat

We also have some little 3 seater camping stools that you might be able to use - they fold up pretty small and you could stick them in a locker for the rest of the day.

bev

I was thinking of those stick/stools too. I think you should be able to find them in sporting goods stores or maybe in places like Walmart that sell camping/sporting gear.
I have seen people in lines and waiting for parades with those.

If you could get manual wheelchairs for your parents at the entrance to MK - would anyone from the dance school be willing to help by pushing them over to the stage area ? It would solve the problem of seating and not be as costly as ECV's.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have spoken with my parents about this and like me who is in the same boat, all we three need is a chair to sit on for the show. They both said no way to renting a wheelchair or ECV as they don't really need it to get around the park. We all would hate to take away an ECV for someone who really needs one. They are waiting for me to get more info from the dance teacher regarding an exact date and time and since they are in Florida, I think they will start making the inquiries. They did know, however, about getting the special guest assistance card at the entrance. I will keep everyone posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter