DAS for mobility issue?

s3058

Mouseketeer
Apologies if this is a very obvious question!

Someone in my party has mobility issues that require them to freely move around (as in a wheelchair is not an option as they can’t sit for extended periods and standing isn’t an option because they often need to sit or walk around to stretch - they have 2 conflicting issues). They are worried that they can’t get DAS for a mobility issue and instead will be told to rent a wheelchair and that the lines give ample room to move. Do GR do that?

TIA

They may well be denied a DAS, as it isn’t for mobility issues. There is really no way for anyone here to know for sure.

Would a rollator work, as they could sit if they need to or walk/stand when they need to?

Depending how much of a seat they need, a wheelchair can still be use like a rollator. I just mention it because my DH didn't think sitting with a rollator was very comfortable. Of course on the other hand, the rollator has locks right on the handles, don't know if locking in place while standing is important.

Although they may deny your party member a DAS it won't hurt to explain the need to guest relations anyway and see if they can offer any kind of accommodation. However, make sure you have a backup plan in case they will not issue them a DAS or other solution. My daughter also has to keep moving, for different reasons, so we create a buffer space for her between me and my husband in line. It isn't a huge space, but a few feet so she can pace a little bit while in line.

I've never asked but am slightly in the same boat. I can walk forever, but it is the sitting and standing still are the problem. At work my company gave me a stand up work station which was much better for my back than sitting, but ultimately proved problematic as while standing for extended period of times as I couldn't maintain proper posture. Now that I have transitioned to a treadmill desk at work I have no issue as while walking it is impossible to just lean on one leg for minutes at a time and aggravate my back. I simply don't wait in 1+ hour lines and have done fine.

I'd rent a wheelchair and use it as a rollator. Seating is getting to be a huge issue and at least they would have a place to sit when needed and can push when not. Also, you can leave it with stroller parking if you don't want to take it somewhere.

Most lines at Disney are continuously moving. The few that don't can easily be handled with a buffer to the person to pace if necessary. They won't be alone either - a lot of people stretch and pace in the lines if it has stopped.

I'd be more concerned about the places to wait for shows or places like the stretching room at Haunted Mansion or the Design Center at Test Track. Design Center you can wait for several minutes without moving and there isn't a lot of options to move. A DAS won't help with those places either because you would still be standing there with the DAS access.

Don't be afraid to mention the need to the CM at some attractions as well. Little Mermaid in DHS and Mickey's Philharmagic usually have room to walk around in the waiting area but they tend to want to push people together to fit as many in as they can. Again - not something the DAS can help with, but the CM at the attraction may have an alternate for you.

I would go in and talk to GR ( they sometimes just give out the DAS to anyone that ask ) but I think you might find it not as helpful as you think and making a buffer zone around the person where they can walk in place side to side step and so on a better option also the DAS dose not skip the preshow room where they can pack you in so for those stay in the back there will be more room in the back to move around. If needed a wheelchair can be used as a walker and a place to sit if they need that some times

Doesn't Disney rent a standing ECV for such situations?

I know there was the lawsuit about people being a leader to use Segways in the parks and the only reason a judge sided with Disney was because they were going to provide standing ECVs as an alternative.

Or has Disney found a way to weasel out of that one?

If the OP can’t stand in a line, how is going to stand on a standing ECV?

And I don’t believe the Segway required Disney to provide a standing ECV.

If the OP can’t stand in a line, how is going to stand on a standing ECV?

And I don’t believe the Segway required Disney to provide a standing ECV.
Well, yeah, I suppose that is a fair point, but that was the argument Disney made for why they should be allowed to disallow Segways.

Well, yeah, I suppose that is a fair point, but that was the argument Disney made for why they should be allowed to disallow Segways.

They argued to disallow the Segway on safety grounds.

Do you know for a fact that Disney doesn’t offer ESVs for rent?

They argued to disallow the Segway on safety grounds.

Do you know for a fact that Disney doesn’t offer ESVs for rent?
I don't know, that's why I 2as asking if they did a d if that might help, but I can see where that might not be doable.

BTW, trying to push an empty wheelchair through the parks is not a good idea, tried that before, it doesn't work well and that was only about 15 minutes to bring one to someone who needed it.

I don't know, that's why I 2as asking if they did a d if that might help, but I can see where that might not be doable.

BTW, trying to push an empty wheelchair through the parks is not a good idea, tried that before, it doesn't work well and that was only about 15 minutes to bring one to someone who needed it.

Why not?

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

It’ll only be the 2 of us for most of the rides so hopefully we can work out a way to make sure there’s some space for them to move around.

Unfortunately rollater is a no go but the wheelchair may be an ok alternative if I can’t come up with something else. Unfortunately I also use a walking stick so we may just forgo any ride that would require them to need the chair. This is all unchartered waters for me as in DLP their version of DAS is used for mobility issues so I never really thought WDW would be different :confused3

They tip backwards as you are trying to walk, so it becomes very difficult and security stops you frequently to ask why you are pushing an empty wheelchair. Seriously, I had 5 ask me in that short 15 minute trip.

At least that was my experience.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

It’ll only be the 2 of us for most of the rides so hopefully we can work out a way to make sure there’s some space for them to move around.

Unfortunately rollater is a no go but the wheelchair may be an ok alternative if I can’t come up with something else. Unfortunately I also use a walking stick so we may just forgo any ride that would require them to need the chair. This is all unchartered waters for me as in DLP their version of DAS is used for mobility issues so I never really thought WDW would be different :confused3
As others have said, discuss options with guest relations, there may be accommodations that can be made under the circumstances that we on here do not know about.

Unfortunately they stopped using it for mobility issues in the U.S. when they switched to the DAS due to abuse of the old system.

Since you mentioned that you use a walking stick, here is a thought. You could rent an ECV and trade off so that you can both have shorter periods of both walking and sitting.

Also, just out of curiosity do they still require a notorized doctor's note at DLP? I know they used to and here in the U.S. they can't ask for proof, so that is another reason DLP may still use it for mobility while the U.S. parks don't.

They tip backwards as you are trying to walk, so it becomes very difficult and security stops you frequently to ask why you are pushing an empty wheelchair. Seriously, I had 5 ask me in that short 15 minute trip.

At least that was my experience.

We haven't found that to occur in our limited experience at disney. DH only uses one at disney, and at times he walks for a bit when he gets tired of sitting or any hills I can't manage. In about 5 trips, we've never been stopped. Maybe because we go as slow as snails.

We haven't found that to occur in our limited experience at disney. DH only uses one at disney, and at times he walks for a bit when he gets tired of sitting or any hills I can't manage. In about 5 trips, we've never been stopped. Maybe because we go as slow as snails.
Well, the trip should have taken no more than 5 minutes, but really to me the tipping was a bigger issue, as I am sure I could have eventually figured out how to get security to stop.

As others have said, discuss options with guest relations, there may be accommodations that can be made under the circumstances that we on here do not know about.
Yeah I definitely will :)

And if not, hey that’s life, we’ll sort something out, give the parks a miss or enjoy some of the other stuff the parks has to offer.

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!