D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to give a disclaimer that you can't expect anything to be the same from year to year. In my experience from the last expo, I didn't go to any of the big presentations, but I did go to some of the popular smaller ones. For example, I went to the Tangled panel. It was in a smaller room, but it featured the cast of Tangled the Series, so it was one of the more popular ones. I got there around 5, I think. They lined us up inside, but not in the basement. Sometime later, they lined pulled everyone who wanted to go to that panel to another room to line up specifically for that panel. That way, we knew we were in for sure, and there was no rushing once they started letting people in. It was great. I hope they do that again. I would really recommend getting there early in the morning, even if you aren't going to the big panels. I got to lie down on the floor inside and watch movies on my Kindle. Much better than sleeping a little while longer and then baking in the sun later.

I want to give a disclaimer that you can't expect anything to be the same from year to year...

Amen to this! Things change every time, so basing expectations and plans on past experiences is fraught with risk. Some things change for the better, but not everything. So it's best to make tentative plans (a,b,c, etc.) and then wait for the official announcements to start rolling out.

Amen to this! Things change every time, so basing expectations and plans on past experiences is fraught with risk. Some things change for the better, but not everything. So it's best to make tentative plans (a,b,c, etc.) and then wait for the official announcements to start rolling out.
...and to wake up and get there super early! ;)

Slightly off topic. Is there any savings to renewing your gold pass as opposed to letting it lapse then signing up again when it's time to buy expo tickets?

Also, do we know when the tickets are going on sale?

Slightly off topic. Is there any savings to renewing your gold pass as opposed to letting it lapse then signing up again when it's time to buy expo tickets?

Not aware of any savings, we let our Gold Pass lapse and plan to buy another in July. Tickets for D23 go on sale August 23, 2018. https://d23.com/d23-expo-2019-dates/

There is a $10 savings to renew vs a new membership for the Gold level, and a 30-day grace period from EXPDT to still renew at the renewal price. The D23 website has the renewal pricing if you log into your account & then pick to renew the membership.

anyone know when pricing will go up? There's a teeny chance I may be able to afford sorcerer next year, but I'd love the actual amount so I can budget properly.

C'mon, Disney, ticket day is almost a month away! Take my money!!

anyone know when pricing will go up? There's a teeny chance I may be able to afford sorcerer next year, but I'd love the actual amount so I can budget properly.

C'mon, Disney, ticket day is almost a month away! Take my money!!

Not sure when they will put prices up, but I bet if you estimate about $2500 per ticket you will be close.

Not sure when they will put prices up, but I bet if you estimate about $2500 per ticket you will be close.

I think I'm more excited that the next announcement means it's getting closer (and the actual posted prices will probably confirm that no, I should not buy sorcerer level :upsidedow)

I had a epiphany about this sometime back. For the price of a Sorcerer ticket I can take a trip to Tokyo Disney. So change of plans, I'm going to Tokyo in May and I'll YouTube coverage of D23 when it comes out.
The closer it gets to August 23 the more I am debating with myself re trying for Sorcerer tickets. I think it might be nice for once, but last Expo I finally figured out how to master regular access with what I wanted to see and do, and must admit there is an element of fun (to quote Mary Poppins) with getting there ridiculously early to wait in the basement.

We are thinking about going to the expo this year, and would want to take advantage of the early bird gold member discount. Do both my husband AND I have to be gold members to get those tickets, or can I just be gold and buy a second ticket at the same time to take him as my guest?

I usually attend many of the larger panels, BUT looking back, on the last 4 Expos, it is the smaller ones that "stick with me". Often they are panels that I was not 100% sure I would love. Last time I loved the Hercules panel, got in on standby last minute. One year it was an amazing presentation of Silly Symphony cartoons, accompanied by a large LIVE orchestra, playing the same music that was in the original cartoons. Other times it was "Voices of the Parks". There is so much to see.

Going again next year!

I usually attend many of the larger panels, BUT looking back, on the last 4 Expos, it is the smaller ones that "stick with me". Often they are panels that I was not 100% sure I would love. Last time I loved the Hercules panel, got in on standby last minute. One year it was an amazing presentation of Silly Symphony cartoons, accompanied by a large LIVE orchestra, playing the same music that was in the original cartoons. Other times it was "Voices of the Parks". There is so much to see.

Going again next year!
I too was amazed and surprised by the Silly Symphony presentation! Still one of my all-time Expo favorites.

I have never been to a D23 expo before, but I was starting to plan our first ever visit to Disneyland next summer. (I’ve been to WDW many times.)
I was originally thinking of going in June but was thinking we could maybe change our dates and work in the expo.
Just curious if you think it would be worth foregoing a park day to do this. I’ll be traveling with my DH and my kids will be 7 and 9. Also curious as to what pricing typically runs and how far from DL this is.
Thanks in advance!

MarBee, it depends on what your expectations are for the Expo. There are often plenty of kids in attendance, but I would guess many live locally. So they are less "disappointed" on missing a park day to spend at the Expo. And yes, some of these kids are very interested in particular panels; however, most seem to stick to the Expo show floor. They seem to focus on the booths, giveaways, Disney channel star appearances, and the various exhibits. For example, it takes a certain type of kid to wait on an overnight line for the Live Action panel (line usually full by 6 am, that is just a GUESS). But, some kids DO and are happy to do so, of course.

The floor itself is very cool and interesting. Panels are great and varied, but questionable for most kids, the subject matter is not really geared towards them and of course, the waiting and the lines. If you arrive in the morning, near opening, expect a lengthy wait outside. The first couple of Expos, the weather was nice in the morning, but the last couple were hotter.

I walk over from Paradise Pier, easily, and I am not a spring chicken, lol. Slightly creepy at midnight, but there are usually others on the same walk. Some of my travel friends used Uber (they leave room much later than me, I did not know they were doing this each day until the Expo was over, haha).

We are thinking about going to the expo this year, and would want to take advantage of the early bird gold member discount. Do both my husband AND I have to be gold members to get those tickets, or can I just be gold and buy a second ticket at the same time to take him as my guest?

Only one person needs to be a gold member. I think you can only buy one other ticket as a regular gold member though, but since that is what you want to do no problem!

MarBee, it depends on what your expectations are for the Expo. There are often plenty of kids in attendance, but I would guess many live locally. So they are less "disappointed" on missing a park day to spend at the Expo. And yes, some of these kids are very interested in particular panels; however, most seem to stick to the Expo show floor. They seem to focus on the booths, giveaways, Disney channel star appearances, and the various exhibits. For example, it takes a certain type of kid to wait on an overnight line for the Live Action panel (line usually full by 6 am, that is just a GUESS). But, some kids DO and are happy to do so, of course.

The floor itself is very cool and interesting. Panels are great and varied, but questionable for most kids, the subject matter is not really geared towards them and of course, the waiting and the lines. If you arrive in the morning, near opening, expect a lengthy wait outside. The first couple of Expos, the weather was nice in the morning, but the last couple were hotter.

I walk over from Paradise Pier, easily, and I am not a spring chicken, lol. Slightly creepy at midnight, but there are usually others on the same walk. Some of my travel friends used Uber (they leave room much later than me, I did not know they were doing this each day until the Expo was over, haha).

I agree. Unlike some other expos/conventions, this is not a pop over for a few minutes to check out some booths type of thing. Lines to get inside are often hours long, especially in the morning, and once you get inside there are lines for EVERYTHING. Every panel, every booth, and especially stores. There are always kids there, but I don't think it would really be fun day generally for 7 and 9 year olds.

Going again next year!

Totally agree. I went to the last one and attended Live Action and Animation. I did really enjoy Animation, but I remember smaller panels more.

What sticks with me is the Lion King reunion and the Richard Sherman panel where he played the piano for Feed the Birds.

I agree. Unlike some other expos/conventions, this is not a pop over for a few minutes to check out some booths type of thing. Lines to get inside are often hours long, especially in the morning, and once you get inside there are lines for EVERYTHING. Every panel, every booth, and especially stores. There are always kids there, but I don't think it would really be fun day generally for 7 and 9 year olds.

Completely agree with this. Expo is very fun, but very tiring and physically challenging. The lines and the waiting are wearing on the body and the soul, so if young kids (and their parents!) are not prepared and able to cope, it will not be a fun day. And the tickets are expensive if the experience will be disappointing for everyone.
Worst case scenario: We saw a family with 4 kids (ranging from about 11 to 2) throughout the third day of the last Expo. They started out full of energy, but as we saw them repeatedly at different events, the parents looked more and more exhausted and the kids looked more and more fed up. The 2 yo was out of control by the last event (Alan Menken concert), the mom really wanted to see that concert, the dad finally had to take the toddler out half way through, the 11 yo fell asleep, and the other two kids disrupted the show for everyone else around them. This was the same story for all the other events they attended. It would have been better for the mom to attend the Expo alone to see all the things she wanted, rather than putting her family through an exhausting day and having her kids disrupt the events for other people who had also waited in the same long lines and also really wanted to see the events without the constant interruptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter