D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does not matter to them if they have an onsite hotel or not, there will be firece competition to be first in line, to be in the first rotation of Smugglers Run.

This is utterly ridiculous, because they will only be "first" in an extremely limited sense. What about all the testing? What about the CM previews where people have already ridden it and are providing reviews? What about the upcoming press previews, where all kinds of YouTubers will be showing up to ride and posting videos online? It's like saying Donald Trump was "first" with Melania. First to marry her maybe, but actual first? Not hardly!

Yet, as you point out, Star Wars superfans are by and large a ridiculous bunch so I expect your prediction will prove correct.

This is utterly ridiculous, because they will only be "first" in an extremely limited sense. What about all the testing? What about the CM previews where people have already ridden it and are providing reviews? What about the upcoming press previews, where all kinds of YouTubers will be showing up to ride and posting videos online? It's like saying Donald Trump was "first" with Melania. First to marry her maybe, but actual first? Not hardly!

Yet, as you point out, Star Wars superfans are by and large a ridiculous bunch so I expect your prediction will prove correct.
I'm sure some people, myself included, are not worried about being "first" (hundreds have already been to SW:GE). But, what I do worry about is how long it will take to actually get in, and not losing time being stuck "in the back of the pack" so to speak.

We only get 4 hours in the land, so I don't want to show up at 7:45am for an 8am reservation only to find long wait at security... and another long wait at the main gate... and then perhaps another long wait just to get into GE... that stuff could burn an hour easily... and then once in the land there's already a super long line for everything because so many people are already in so you don't get to experience much.

Getting in early should help avoid that, so the question is... how early does one need to show up? I know that no matter how early I am, there will be someone else earlier because I'm not camping out all night. I'd love to show up no earlier than 6am... but I suspect that even then, there will be a mob at security. So show up at 5am? 4am? That's pushing the limits of what I'd personally be willing to do, but there are others who wouldn't mind. And then there's others who would be happy to show up at midnight. And others who are willing to camp out... and so on.

Last edited:
for those who dont understand why people would camp out.

Those are planning to camp out are most likely the Star Wars superfans. It does not matter to them if they have an onsite hotel or not, there will be firece competition to be first in line, to be in the first rotation of Smugglers Run.

If I had an 8am Star Wars Galaxys Edge reservation on May 31, I would defiantly be one of those camping out, even if I was staying onsite. Im guessing there will be unofficial lines from about 3am or 4 am on May 31, who will be staking out their spot to be the first through security checks both on Harbour and Downtown Disney side. Most likely the first 100 people will organise themselves into a line, and will police this line themselves to stop queue jumpers. Then at 6am, when security opens , they will reform in their original order. Im predicting that between 6am and 8am on May 31, it will be a party atmosphere.

If you have an 8am May 31 Star Wars Galaxys Edge reservation I would plan to be there by 7am the latest. If you just turn up at 7.45am for the 8am opening you will most likely be at the end of the group, end of the line.

As a veteran Star Wars Weekends visitor, I feel you hit the nail on the head. People were sleeping overnight on air mattresses for autograph fast passes for voice actors from the Clone Wars.

I was deflated when I read the rumor this morning about lining up. I really prefer sleeping in my GCH room rather than on an air hammock in-line. So hope the rumor is not true.

I'm sure some people, myself included, are not worried about being "first" (hundreds have already been to SW:GE). But, what I do worry about is how long it will take to actually get in, and not losing time being stuck "in the back of the pack" so to speak.

We only get 4 hours in the land, so I don't want to show up at 7:45am for an 8am reservation only to find long wait at security... and another long wait at the main gate... and then perhaps another long wait just to get into GE... that stuff could burn an hour easily... and then once in the land there's already a super long line for everything because so many people are already in so you don't get to experience much.

Getting in early should help avoid that, so the question is... how early does one need to show up? I know that no matter how early I am, there will be someone else earlier because I'm not camping out all night. I'd love to show up no earlier than 6am... but I suspect that even then, there will be a mob at security. So show up at 5am? 4am? That's pushing the limits of what I'd personally be willing to do, but there are others who wouldn't mind. And then there's others who would be happy to show up at midnight. And others who are willing to camp out... and so on.

My plan is to be through security at the GCH between 6 and 6:30 on May 31, fro my 8 am SWGE reservation. Based on that experience, I will decide what I want to do for my 8 am SWGE reservation for June 1.

As a veteran Star Wars Weekends visitor, I feel you hit the nail on the head. People were sleeping overnight on air mattresses for autograph fast passes for voice actors from the Clone Wars.

Thank you :) the majority here on Dis are Disney people who are just excited to be part of something new at Disneyland. However the world of superfans is entirely different. To the Star Wars superfans, Star Wars Galaxys Edge opening is as big a life experience as getting married or having a child. If you have never been part of or experienced the world of superfans, you really have no idea the deep emotional connections people have. THAT is why people will be camping out, because for the first time, they will get to experience their world in reality.

This is utterly ridiculous, because they will only be "first" in an extremely limited sense. What about all the testing? What about the CM previews where people have already ridden it and are providing reviews? What about the upcoming press previews, where all kinds of YouTubers will be showing up to ride and posting videos online? .

The CM and media previews dont matter and dont really count. Its being the FIRST of general public, when the land is officially opened that matters to them. Also most likely there will be a good number of internationals, people from Europe, China, Japan and Australia in the 8am to 12pm May 31 group. I wouldnt be surprised if there are people who will be travelling internationally for May 31 and will have a flight home on June 1. Those people will just be travelling to Disney specifically to be in the 8am to 12 May 31 reservation group. Its most likely that those people wont have any interest in anything in Disney other than Star Tours.

For me, it's just about getting in at the first moment I will be allowed in. It would kill me to be sitting at home, knowing the land is open, and I am not there. I am not in the first group in, I am in the 11am to 3pm group, and I am very excited about going!

Agreed. I got into the system after like 55 minutes and could still get an 8am opening day slot, which we did not want. We got 8am on Fathers day, which is perfect for us since my husband is THE SW fan in the house.
Hmm, I took a screenshot of my confirmed reservation at 10:21, but when I got in, there was no opening day availability at all! Since people couldn’t cancel, I wonder how more showed up later... I would have loved 8am on opening day, but we leave that afternoon for the weekend, so we settled for Tuesday morning... and then my husband had a work thing pop up and won’t even be able to come! Whomp-whomp...

Hmm, I took a screenshot of my confirmed reservation at 10:21, but when I got in, there was no opening day availability at all! Since people couldn’t cancel, I wonder how more showed up later... I would have loved 8am on opening day, but we leave that afternoon for the weekend, so we settled for Tuesday morning... and then my husband had a work thing pop up and won’t even be able to come! Whomp-whomp...

That is a serious bummer. I would do all possible to get out of the work thing. I think a serious illness would fall on me.

I am hoping for a miracle situation for you that finds you in SWGE on Tuesday morning.

Hmm, I took a screenshot of my confirmed reservation at 10:21, but when I got in, there was no opening day availability at all! Since people couldn’t cancel, I wonder how more showed up later...
Yeah, I was able to get in 30 minutes afterwards and the opening weekend was gone (thankfully a friend had been able to get us other reservations). Curious how people were still able to see 8am opening weekend 2 hrs later... oh well, it's all finished now! Just waiting for another couple weeks which are going to take forever!

Today as we were waiting to meet Darth Vader I talked to a CM who has been trained and will be moving over to SWGE. He couldn’t say too much but he did say when he first walked into the land it was so amazing that is brought tears to his eyes.

As an aside, meeting Darth Vader with a baby is AMAZING! No spoilers but it was hilarious.

I don't know what to tell you. The only sold out days were June 1, 2, and 3rd. Everything else had pretty open availability. I remember being surprised by that, honestly. I thought an hour in, I'd get slim pickings.

I can’t help but think having Grad Night on the same day as the grand opening of Galaxy’s Edge is a colossal mistake.

Can anyone familiar with grad nights help predict how this is going to effect the overall day?

I can’t help but think having Grad Night on the same day as the grand opening of Galaxy’s Edge is a colossal mistake.

Can anyone familiar with grad nights help predict how this is going to effect the overall day?
Since they changed Grad Night to offer the all-day Park hopper ticket options to the Grad Night attendees, parks are extremely busy, especially Disneyland as the students will go there first with grad night at DCA. I went once on a grad night day a couple of years ago & will never do that again...I now avoid Grad night days.

Since they changed Grad Night to offer the all-day Park hopper ticket options to the Grad Night attendees, parks are extremely busy, especially Disneyland as the students will go there first with grad night at DCA. I went once on a grad night day a couple of years ago & will never do that again...I now avoid Grad night days.

Great. Good planning, Disneyland

Schools have to opt into the all day park hoppers now and they cost quite a bit more, so many schools do not purchase them. Also, even though they can arrive at any time, many schools still arrive later in the day. I expect it will be a very busy day at the parks and feel a bit sad for those grads if they DID purchase hoppers.

This info from MousePlanet may be helpful to anyone with SWGE reservations thru mid-June, as the Grad Night Effect could impact other days than just opening day -

For 2019, Grad Nite is held on May 10, 11, 17, 18, 21, 22, 28, 29, and 31; June 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, and 14

For 2019, the event includes park-hopper access to both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure parks during regular operating hours, and a private party in Disney California Adventure from 10:00 pm. to 2:00 am. after that park closes to "day guests."

Schools can choose to arrive whenever they wish during their Grad Nite event. Some arrive right at park opening to maximize their time, while others arrive later due to travel time or other activities. With the Mickey and Friends parking structure now closed to oversize vehicles like school buses, look for heavier arrival traffic in the Toy Story parking lot.

Based on reports since the event switched to this format in 2014, the parks grow increasingly crowded as the day goes on and more students arrive. Grad Nites are often a good excuse to leave the theme parks early to enjoy a nice dinner in Downtown Disney.

Beware: Formal Grad Nites are not the only times that the Disneyland Resort is crowded with student groups. The last weeks of school are popular times for class trips, something that Disney actively encourages through special pricing and activities for school groups. Those visits won't appear on any calendar, but are a fact of Disney life during this season, and have already begun making a noticeable impact on park attendance in recent weeks.

With so many schools on year-round calendars now, you should consider the period between March and mid-June as one big, hazy spring-break-into-graduation season. So while the Grad Nite calendar can give you an idea of when the most high school seniors will be on property, there is no way to know when a school district from Central California is sending its ninth graders for their own promotion celebration.

This info from MousePlanet may be helpful to anyone with SWGE reservations thru mid-June, as the Grad Night Effect could impact other days than just opening day -

For 2019, Grad Nite is held on May 10, 11, 17, 18, 21, 22, 28, 29, and 31; June 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, and 14

For 2019, the event includes park-hopper access to both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure parks during regular operating hours, and a private party in Disney California Adventure from 10:00 pm. to 2:00 am. after that park closes to "day guests."

Schools can choose to arrive whenever they wish during their Grad Nite event. Some arrive right at park opening to maximize their time, while others arrive later due to travel time or other activities. With the Mickey and Friends parking structure now closed to oversize vehicles like school buses, look for heavier arrival traffic in the Toy Story parking lot.

Based on reports since the event switched to this format in 2014, the parks grow increasingly crowded as the day goes on and more students arrive. Grad Nites are often a good excuse to leave the theme parks early to enjoy a nice dinner in Downtown Disney.

Beware: Formal Grad Nites are not the only times that the Disneyland Resort is crowded with student groups. The last weeks of school are popular times for class trips, something that Disney actively encourages through special pricing and activities for school groups. Those visits won't appear on any calendar, but are a fact of Disney life during this season, and have already begun making a noticeable impact on park attendance in recent weeks.

With so many schools on year-round calendars now, you should consider the period between March and mid-June as one big, hazy spring-break-into-graduation season. So while the Grad Nite calendar can give you an idea of when the most high school seniors will be on property, there is no way to know when a school district from Central California is sending its ninth graders for their own promotion celebration.
That’s slightly incorrect info. There are 3 ticket levels. Park hopper plus party, single park plus party, and party only. They switched to this either last year or the year before and it’s help dissipate some of the overcrowding issues.

Oh this is interesting! Thanks for putting it together... I have no idea about American school breaks...
I know slightly offtopic... when you say „so many schools on year calendars now“... donyou mean that really long summer break is now split up in shorter breaks during the year?
This whole spring break, grad nite topic is completed new to me honestly( because it luckily never overlapped with my school/university breaks...)

I guess opening of SWGE+ grad nite will make an interesting mix of people very unlike usual days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter