D-Con...Does it work to kill mice?

boomhauer

When the world gets in my face, I say - Have A Nic
Last night, my wife and I were woken up my some rutsling noise in the corner of our room. We turned the light on, looked around, and sure enough, a mouse came running out from behind the dresser and into the living room.

My wife FREAKED out. :scared1: As brave a face as I put on, I admit - I do NOT like rodents in the least bit.

So, I was told to try D-Con mice poison. Does anyone have any experience with it? I bought this stuff that comes in a box of 4. I guess you just pop open the bottom, and line them up against the wall where you think the mice might be.

Does this stuff really work?

Yup, it works. I've used it. From what I understand it makes them thirsty so naturally they will look for water. I hope they look for water outside of your house. I wouldn't want to have to look for them after they start to smell bad.

TEENEE said:
Yup, it works. I've used it. From what I understand it makes them thirsty so naturally they will look for water. I hope they look for water outside of your house. I wouldn't want to have to look for them after they start to smell bad.

That's what I was told too.

And that's what worries me. I heard that smell is beyond nasty. Well, I guess a smelly dead mouse is better than a live mouse. At least we can rid the house of the smell.

I use it here at work. It DOES work. What you need to be aware of is that after they eat the poison, they go someplace to hide (and die). That may be in a vent, in a wall, in a closet....but NOT out in the open. Then you have to smell them!

LindaR said:
I use it here at work. It DOES work. What you need to be aware of is that after they eat the poison, they go someplace to hide (and die). That may be in a vent, in a wall, in a closet....but NOT out in the open. Then you have to smell them!

I bought 2 boxes containing 4 little boxes. I'm gonna put them all out. How long do I keep them out for?

How about getting some humane traps? That way you won't have to deal with the smell at all. While you're waiting for Mr. Mouse to show up, see if you can find where he's coming in. If you have one, you have two, and if you have two :rolleyes1 Mice will only stay where they have food and water, so see where their sources are and set up the traps. After you catch them, you can take them away humanely and not have to kill a small animal who's just looking for a snack. :goodvibes

minkydog said:
How about getting some humane traps? That way you won't have to deal with the smell at all. While you're waiting for Mr. Mouse to show up, see if you can find where he's coming in. If you have one, you have two, and if you have two :rolleyes1 Mice will only stay where they have food and water, so see where their sources are and set up the traps. After you catch them, you can take them away humanely and not have to kill a small animal who's just looking for a snack. :goodvibes

Sorry - I know I sound like a jerk, but when it comes to rodents, I don't have a humane bone in my body. I think they're nasty little creatures who serve no purpose in the food chain.

Sorry to be so brutal about it, but the only mouse I ever wanna see is Mickey Mouse.

Yup works great. I prefer the square brown cubes that you lock into a holder. Safer with kids around. D-Con is a blood thinner, but it also makes the mice thirsty so they leave the building seeking water. They usually leave before the medicine gets them.

minkydog said:
I first used a humane trap and decided it was not too humane after all. The first mouse was scared and pissed all over itself. I released it in the field and then realized that it was now fair game. The second one I trapped died in it. The mouse and trap went to the landfill together.

If you turn off the lights and use a black light their urine will light up. They follow the urine line to not get lost. This might help you find the nest.

Works well, it is an overdose of blood thinner, they hemorrhage and die. If they die in a non-accessible place, they will smell for a bit but dry up pretty quickly and smell, if any, is gone.

I cannot believe this thread has not gone poof yet!

Dan Murphy said:
If they die in a non-accessible place, they will smell for a bit but dry up pretty quickly and smell, if any, is gone.

That wasn't our experience. I put out some when I was a teenager. It worked wonderfully...the mouse was dead within 2 days. The smell, however, lasted for over a week. And it was HORRIBLE. It decided to expire in the laundry room, which was right off from the kitchen...made meals difficult for a while.

Do you think it would work with squirrels? I heard it works by making them really thirsty, so they leave to go find water. I have a mama squirrel who likes to take up vacancy every spring with her new babies in a small hole directly on the peak of my roof. I don't want them to die, however, not a big fan of critters in my roof!

Master Gracie said:
That wasn't our experience. I put out some when I was a teenager. It worked wonderfully...the mouse was dead within 2 days. The smell, however, lasted for over a week. And it was HORRIBLE. It decided to expire in the laundry room, which was right off from the kitchen...made meals difficult for a while.

Hi, this is OT, but I see you are in Chattanooga. I am in Cleveland. We are neighbors! :)

boomhauer said:
Ummmm.....Why would it go poof? :confused3
You speak of killing mice on a board devoted to a place that was all started by a mouse. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter