Cycling on Disney World roads / Strava stuff

Riding in an area where most people know the area & the rules of the road is very different from riding around people from multiple countries that don't obey road rules & may not even know what they are.

Thanks again everyone for the continued discussion.

I’ll say this as more of an opinion piece. There have been a couple of comments about foreign drivers being a particular hazard to cyclists.

There is certainly something to unfamiliarity with the area, jet lag, and the tunnel vision of getting to a Disney park.

Having said that, the USA is one of the least cycle friendly countries. Drivers from Europe and possibly even Asia are looking out for bikes as a way of life. Ironically, I’d feel safer with only foreign drivers at Disney LOL.

Back to more practical advice, IF I personally decided to ride (still a big IF), I’d probably start at 5:30am and want to be off the roads by 7am. Looking at the Strava time stamps, most rides seem to happen between 7am and 8am (I cant easily determine day of week). I see a few (but still surprising number) in the evening rush hour and have to assume those a local bike commuters.

Also back to practical advice, I did contact that bike shop. Even they said Disney isn’t particularly bike friendly. They only suggested one road and only to connect to routes outside the park.

So, even I am leaning away from the overall worth of bringing a bike to Disney property. :-(

Thanks again everyone for the continued discussion.

I’ll say this as more of an opinion piece. There have been a couple of comments about foreign drivers being a particular hazard to cyclists.

There is certainly something to unfamiliarity with the area, jet lag, and the tunnel vision of getting to a Disney park.

Having said that, the USA is one of the least cycle friendly countries. Drivers from Europe and possibly even Asia are looking out for bikes as a way of life. Ironically, I’d feel safer with only foreign drivers at Disney LOL.

Back to more practical advice, IF I personally decided to ride (still a big IF), I’d probably start at 5:30am and want to be off the roads by 7am. Looking at the Strava time stamps, most rides seem to happen between 7am and 8am (I cant easily determine day of week). I see a few (but still surprising number) in the evening rush hour and have to assume those a local bike commuters.

Also back to practical advice, I did contact that bike shop. Even they said Disney isn’t particularly bike friendly. They only suggested one road and only to connect to routes outside the park.

So, even I am leaning away from the overall worth of bringing a bike to Disney property. :-(

I wasn't referring to Europeans.

I think most avid cyclists want to see some hills

As a sprinter, I have no love of hills. There are different kinds of cyclists, and I assure you charity rides are not filled with ‘avid’ cyclists. It is too bad the Tour D’ Fun was stopped but logistically completely justified.

When I was a jogger, about 15 yrs ago, I'd run from OKW throughout Port Orleans/Dixie Landings, back through OKW and out the back to what's now Saratoga Springs and back. Although I'm not a cyclist, I still eyeball roads for potential jogging paths. I have to say, with all the tourists driving, I wouldn't cycle there. You have so many people swerving, and making last minute lane changes. I would be stressed the whole time, just trying to watch out for crazy drivers. Not a fun workout!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter