Cut your hair!

LOL, dreads have been around for centuries and worn by many different cultures and not exclusively by POC.
It's clear you just want a reason to scream RACIST! Have at it, but this guy's ignorance isn't the only one on display.

I mean, I don't, which is why I haven't. I said I wouldn't say it's NOT racist, and then I asked people to consider the nuance of the subject.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

I mean, I don't, which is why I haven't. I said I wouldn't say it's NOT racist, and then I asked people to consider the nuance of subject.

You said "it isn't exactly not racist".
That sure sounds like you are making assumptions about the letter writing guy based on the fact that the player is black and dreads are a hairstyle mostly worn by black people.

You said "it isn't exactly not racist".
That sure sounds like you are making assumptions about the letter writing guy based on the fact that the player is black and dreads are a hairstyle mostly worn by black people.

Yes, because I'm a person in the world and know how often comments like these can be because of race, either intentionally or not. I've also been on this board enough to know you challenge anyone who attempts to bring up that race might be a factor in something, so I'm not super interested in continuing this with you.

As a culture, we've forgotten the difference between "racist" and "racial". To be racist is to denigrate someone because of their particular race. To simply point out something unique to a particular race is racial.

Because we as a nation are apparently no longer able to have racial discussions (to discuss cultural differences), everything has suddenly become racist.

Until we're able to acknowledge and discuss our differences, there is no hope of acknowledging and discussing those things that should bring us together.
But it’s possible (but we don’t know of course), that it’s implicit racism. Fan finds dreads disgusting b/c it’s a style more typically associated with black ppl.

That's the difference between implying something and inferring something.

Anyone can hear or read something and infer something that was never meant to be implied.

Like my dad used to tell me, "If you go looking for trouble, you'll probably find it."

That's the difference between implying something and inferring something.

Anyone can hear or read something and infer something that was never meant to be implied.

Like my dad used to tell me, "If you go looking for trouble, you'll probably find it."
Well it’s easy to infer since implicit racism often exists.

many of you need to google what percentage of college football players get athletic scholarships and how much they get. You're all living in the 70's. . The days of free rides are over. The elite of the elite get free rides.

I mean, I don't, which is why I haven't. I said I wouldn't say it's NOT racist, and then I asked people to consider the nuance of subject.
But, on the dis, for some ppl, it seems nothing is ever racist so I guess it must not exist. Even when there are things reported that are blatantly racists, some ppl on here will say “well we must not know the whole story”.

Do you know for fact that he's on a scholarship? Its an urban myth that football players get free education.

Not to mention that if you ARE getting a scholarship, you are likely an elite athlete with the possibility of a professional career. Football is the type of sport where one game, you are looking at an NFL career and the next game, it's over. Meanwhile, high profile college football programs are raking in the money off of this student athletes, money that they will never see, even if they risk their body for the team and never see a payday as a professional athlete. And if they make a wrong decision along the way in accepting something that can be viewed as profiting off their student athlete status, they might lose THAT (and the scholarship) as well.

I’m only a casual football fan, but have taken notice to some of the long-haired players, and two things cross my mind. First, since hair pulling is allowed, why give your opponent something else to grab? And having long hair yanked forcefully could easily result in a neck injury.

Secondly, all that hair just seems like it would be so uncomfortable and sweaty under the helmet. Same with a beard under a chin strap. :crazy2:

But, on the dis, for some ppl, it seems nothing is ever racist so I guess it must not exist. Even when there are things reported that are blatantly racists, some ppl on here will say “well we must not know the whole story”.
Yep, the same people here say the same things over and over because they are racist. Every time a thread like this pops up it happens and is very very predictable and obvious.

I’m only a casual football fan, but have taken notice to some of the long-haired players, and two things cross my mind. First, since hair pulling is allowed, why give your opponent something else to grab? And having long hair yanked forcefully could easily result in a neck injury.

Secondly, all that hair just seems like it would be so uncomfortable and sweaty under the helmet. Same with a beard under a chin strap. :crazy2:
While I agree with it being gross... I do watch a good bit of football & honestly don’t think I can think of many times if ever that I saw someone be tackled by their hair. My opinion is the game is moving too fast to grab onto something that small.

Your opinion is as entirely subjective as those who think dreadlocks look terrible. 100% a matter of taste and asserting either position as a fact is silly.

The letter writer called dreadlocks "disgusting," implying that they are in some way not clean. It was this I was defending. And I wasn't asserting a position, I was stating a fact. If you or anyone else thinks they look 'terrible,' that is an opinion. That dreads take maintenance and care is a fact.

I see nothing wrong with African-Americans wearing dreadlocks, it's a form of their natural hair, which is a beautiful thing.

Do you know for fact that he's on a scholarship? Its an urban myth that football players get free education.
many of you need to google what percentage of college football players get athletic scholarships and how much they get. You're all living in the 70's. . The days of free rides are over. The elite of the elite get free rides.
D1 Football gets to hand out 85 FULL scholarships.
FCS Football gets to hand out 63 FULL scholarships.

Those would be the level (mainly D1) where the schools are benefiting from the "likeness" of the players. So out of a 100 man roster, 85% of football players are getting full rides.

Not to mention the money the programs make off of them. The least they can give them is a free education.
And they do. I've got no problem with schools handing out scholarships. I have a problem with people claiming these athletes are not paid.

Dear Dave. You have too much time on your hands. We need to get you a girl mate. Chicks dig the dreads. Grow your hair out and we'll give you some.

Sincerely, Coach Franklin.

Saying a hairstyle which is primarily worn by, and associated with, a certain ethnicity, and which works particularly well with the qualities of that ethnic groups hair is "disgusting" and implying only traditionally more white/European hair styles are professional is racist.
That doesn't mean the letter writer even realizes the racism behind their hairstyle biases or is intentionally or actively racist as a person. But in this issue, said writer is seeing things through a racially based lens. Being able to discuss that, so more people become aware of and work to curb their own ingrained bias is a good thing.

Writing fuddy-duddy letters to people to tell them you dont like their hairstyle? Totally eyeroll worthy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter