Cut your hair!

FWIW, since this is Penn State we're talking about, I looked up their "cost to attend". For an in state student, the cost is estimated at just over $30,000. Out of state? $50K. So an out of state football player who gets a full ride all four years is getting the equivalent of $200,000. Yup, they don't get paid.

Oh, and I was wrong. There's ~120 on Penn State's roster. So 85 full scholarships would be 70% of the roster get full rides. About 50 out of the 120 are in state students.

Saying a hairstyle which is primarily worn by, and associated with, a certain ethnicity, and which works particularly well with the qualities of that ethnic groups hair is "disgusting" and implying only traditionally more white/European hair styles are professional is racist.
That doesn't mean the letter writer even realizes the racism behind their hairstyle biases or is intentionally or actively racist as a person. But in this issue, said writer is seeing things through a racially based lens. Being able to discuss that, so more people become aware of and work to curb their own ingrained bias is a good thing.

Writing fuddy-duddy letters to people to tell them you dont like their hairstyle? Totally eyeroll worthy.

In no way does pointing out someone's hairstyle suggest that the pointer thinks the person being pointed at is inferior to him just because of the color of his skin.

In no way does pointing out someone's hairstyle suggest that the pointer thinks the person being pointed at is inferior to him just because of the color of his skin.

Sure, the comments may not necessarily be racist, but I certainly think there's a difference between "pointing out" someone's hairstyle and saying they look "disgusting and unattractive".

Sure, the comments may not necessarily be racist, but I certainly think there's a difference between "pointing out" someone's hairstyle and saying they look "disgusting and unattractive".
I still get to decide what I personally find to be attractive or unattractive, right? :confused: Not that I would ever dream of expressing my opinion of anyone's appearance to them. You all will need to let me know if I should be reporting myself to the Thought Police though.

I still get to decide what I personally find to be attractive or unattractive, right? :confused: Not that I would ever dream of expressing my opinion of anyone's appearance to them. You all will need to let me know if I should be reporting myself to the Thought Police though.

Of course you can have opinions about what you personally find attractive, but if you feel compelled to tell a stranger in writing that they needed a mirror because they look disgusting and unattractive then I think others have the right to assume you’re either a complete jerk or mentally off.

Of course you can have opinions about what you personally find attractive, but if you feel compelled to tell a stranger in writing that they needed a mirror because they look disgusting and unattractive then I think others have the right to assume you’re either a complete jerk or mentally off.
Agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!