Cut your hair!

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
Why in the world would anyone think this is an appropriate letter to send?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...efends-jonathan-sutherland-letter/3909110002/
Short version...

Fan sends a Penn State Football player a letter with the following:
"Watching the Idaho game on TV we couldn't help but notice your — well — awful hair," reads the letter signed by 1966 alum Dave Petersen who called himself a Penn State alumni. "Surely there must be mirrors in the locker room! Don't you have parents or girlfriend who've told you those shoulder length dreadlocks look disgusting and are certainly not attractive."

While I don't always agree with how people look, I've never felt it was my right to tell them, much less send them a letter.

When I see players with long dreads I cringe because it just looks like it could be unsafe, but if it's allowed then there must be no more injuries attributed to long hair than anything else while playing. So who really cares what an individual decides about their own hair style.
As for Penn State, I'm of the mind that after the whole child rape scandal I would think their fans wouldn't be so quick to be outraged about such trivial things like the player's appearances.

Yes, I'm going to nitpick the story. Just a little and not the gist of the letter - which is awful.

No, my issue is with the writing or editing Letter writer reportedly claims to be a 1966 alumnus In the letter, he say's he's in his fifties. Alum means graduating class, right? so even at59, he would have been born in 1960. College grad at age six? Hmm...

Yes, I'm going to nitpick the story. Just a little and not the gist of the letter - which is awful.

No, my issue is with the writing or editing Letter writer reportedly claims to be a 1966 alumnus In the letter, he say's he's in his fifties. Alum means graduating class, right? so even at59, he would have been born in 1960. College grad at age six? Hmm...

He said he played full court basketball into his fifties, not that he is in his fifties.

I don't see where the letter writer claims to be in his fifties. It says he still played full court basketball into his 50's.

Actually, he doesn't say he's in his 50's, he says he 'played basketball into his 50's'. Why that's relevant to his argument, I have no clue?

Why in the world would anyone think this is an appropriate letter to send?

Short version...
Fan sends a Penn State Football player a letter with the following:
While I don't always agree with how people look, I've never felt it was my right to tell them, much less send them a letter.
Same here. Personally, I think dreadlocks are hideous, as are many other looks (according to my taste) but it's totally NOMB what people look like - I can always just roll, ooops, I mean avert my eyes. :rolleyes:

Regarding the letter though, nutters abound. What power does this one have? Ignore him and move on. I'd imagine anybody even remotely in the public eye has to deal with garbage like this at some point. The publicity is ridiculous; opinions like this should be promptly filed in the trash can and left there while everyone gets on with their lives.

Proverbial "tempest in a teapot."

However, long hair is a safety issue. I'm surprised that it's allowed in football, whether it be high school, college, or professional.

Proverbial "tempest in a teapot."

Although, long hair is a safety issue. I'm surprised that it's allowed in football, whether it be high school, college, or professional.
I agree. I think if it's hanging outside the helmet, it should be allowed to be used as a tackling point.

I know I am picking nits here but one issue I have is the statement made by Audrey Snyder on twitter stating the letter was racist. No it was stupid and ignorant and maybe a little bigoted but "not" racist.

I don't know, pointing out a player of color's chosen hair style and going so far as to write him a letter telling him how objectionable you find it isn't exactly NOT racist, seeing as that particular hairstyle is largely specific to people of color.

I don't know, pointing out a player of color's chosen hair style and going so far as to write him a letter telling him how objectionable you find it isn't exactly NOT racist, seeing as that particular hairstyle is largely specific to people of color.

I was kind of thinking the same thing - until I start seeing a bunch of white kids wearing dreadlocks, I'll assume that race plays some part in this (non)-story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter