Current Owners: Would you Buy At 2021 prices?

To be fair, that is a "you" decision. Your decision not to travel or not to rent your points has nothing to do with DVC or Disney. You are the one making the design to "dump money" into DVC while not reaping any of the benefits.

I don't think its ethical to reap the benefits right now. That's a horrible way to say "risking my life or someone elses" - if making complete use of points means that, DVC isn't a BENEFIT. But my guess is that over the 50 year life of the contract, most contracts will have a year wasted. Cancellations due to death or illness. Owners who end up on bed rest for pregnancy. 50 years is a long time to have nothing go wrong. In our own contract life, we've seen terrorist attacks, hurricanes, pandemics, cancer, pregnancy and death all impact our trips. This is the first time we will just waste a year of points - although we did end up with four people in a Grand Villa due to death.

I don't think its ethical to reap the benefits right now. That's a horrible way to say "risking my life or someone elses" - if making complete use of points means that, DVC isn't a BENEFIT. But my guess is that over the 50 year life of the contract, most contracts will have a year wasted. Cancellations due to death or illness. Owners who end up on bed rest for pregnancy. 50 years is a long time to have nothing go wrong. In our own contract life, we've seen terrorist attacks, hurricanes, pandemics, cancer, pregnancy and death all impact our trips. This is the first time we will just waste a year of points - although we did end up with four people in a Grand Villa due to death.
But how is renting points risking someone else's life? If someone rents points from you, that person obviously doesn't feel any risk with visiting WDW. YOU feel that your life would be at risk by making the trip, and that is completely fine for you to feel that way. Everyone has their own risk tolerance and needs to do whatever they have to do to feel safe. But if someone wants to go to WDW and rent your points to do so, why wouldn't you oblige? That person obviously feels completely comfortable traveling (not to mention, many people NEED to start traveling in order to stay sane). There is nothing "unethical" about traveling to WDW or renting points out right now. Anyone renting fully understands the current situation. You are the one making the choice to "dump money" into DVC while letting your points expire.

I don't think its ethical to reap the benefits right now. That's a horrible way to say "risking my life or someone elses" - if making complete use of points means that, DVC isn't a BENEFIT.

^^^^^ I totally disagree

Using or renting DVC points during a pandemic is not an unethical thing to do, it is a choice. On this line of thinking, then ALL OF DISNEY is unethical as they are open for business and enabling people to go there. What about people that are local and can drive to a DVC resort and simply use social distancing, amsking, gloves, lysol, etc and take responsibility. What about people that already got the vaccine in December. What about people that already got covid and recovered. If you want to let your points go unused, then Disney and everyone else thanks you for paying dues and not using the product. As everyone knows, this is not ethical or not, it is not a social benefit or not, it is simply using a system that was paid for (and is 10% allowable in the DVC contract you and every owner signed)

But how is renting points risking someone else's life? If someone rents points from you, that person obviously doesn't feel any risk with visiting WDW. YOU feel that your life would be at risk by making the trip, and that is completely fine for you to feel that way. Everyone has their own risk tolerance and needs to do whatever they have to do to feel safe. But if someone wants to go to WDW and rent your points to do so, why wouldn't you oblige? That person obviously feels completely comfortable traveling (not to mention, many people NEED to start traveling in order to stay sane). There is nothing "unethical" about traveling to WDW or renting points out right now. Anyone renting fully understands the current situation. You are the one making the choice to "dump money" into DVC while letting your points expire.

^^^^^ I totally agree

Well said.

To all current DVC owners who bought in awhile back.... would you do so again?

just went to DVC website to look at direct Disney costs: I was SHOCKED.

For 5 days a year. Family of 4.
150 points recommended.

$30,000!!!

When I talk to folks who bought in 10 years ago+, they got a steal.
I am asking non-Florida residents.

when you take into Costs of travel, tickets, etc., does it make sense to still purchase today?

RESALE market hasn’t softened much at all..

A previous DIS poster mentioned their all-in costs was equivalent to paying cash for their current home.
We just did buy more point direct, so yes, we would. Is it as good of a value as when we bought VGC 10 years ago?

Well, that depends on how you look at it, if you look at it purely in terms of dollars spent no, but there is inflation and how much hotel room price have increased, etc. that all factor in.

But ultimately for us, it came down to how much we will spend on rooms between now and the end of the Riviera contract and it was a better deal to buy more points since we now get over double the vacation time we did before. And if our circumstances change again, we can easily sell our Grand Californian points and pay for Riviera that way if all else fails.

I feel very lucky to have purchased SSR at $72 and $65 over ten years ago. At that price, it has been a great investment.

I don't think we would pay current prices for DVC, partly because I don't think it is a value compared to paying as you go, and partly because we only go every other year now as opposed to twice a year.

I feel very lucky to have purchased SSR at $72 and $65 over ten years ago. At that price, it has been a great investment.

I don't think we would pay current prices for DVC, partly because I don't think it is a value compared to paying as you go, and partly because we only go every other year now as opposed to twice a year.

Yes, many people who bought 10-12 years ago could sell today and recoup almost every $ they've paid into DVC. Netting them nearly free accommodations.

Nobody today is getting that deal.

If I thought I needed more points, yes I would. I bought my first contract in 2009. Then, we added on in 2018 (all purchases direct).

The prices do continue to go up. I'm feeling pretty good about my 2018 purchase and that was less than 3 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter