Current blt owners - availability q

Megb1

Earning My Ears
We are looking into buying a resale blt contract and using it to get a 2 bed dedicated standard for the week of thanksgiving (not this year).

For those who are blt owners, how hard is it to book a 2 bed Dedicated standard? We have looked at Pete’s availability chart and it says “mostly” and wanted to get peoples experiences.

We currently own at VGC but need something for wdw and tentatively decided on blt. Also, back up is Akv but want to be close to mk and other resorts.

In my experience as a BLT founder, booking Thanksgiving week is fairly easy for any accommodation at 11 months, but lake views are easiest as there are more of them. Note that there is a big difference (generally) between the week OF Thanksgiving and the two weeks immediately following. Those two weeks are some of the lowest points and highest demand weeks in the entire DVC system everywhere. Thanksgiving is over. School is back in. Points are low(er), and P&R are all decked out for Christmas.

Book at 11 months as an owner and you'll be fine. This is one we always try to do that for. Christmas at BLT the week of/after Thanksgiving is one of the primary reasons we bought there. Us and a lot of other people.

In my experience as a BLT founder, booking Thanksgiving week is fairly easy for any accommodation at 11 months, but lake views are easiest as there are more of them. Note that there is a big difference (generally) between the week OF Thanksgiving and the two weeks immediately following. Those two weeks are some of the lowest points and highest demand weeks in the entire DVC system everywhere. Thanksgiving is over. School is back in. Points are low(er), and P&R are all decked out for Christmas.

Book at 11 months as an owner and you'll be fine. This is one we always try to do that for. Christmas at BLT the week of/after Thanksgiving is one of the primary reasons we bought there. Us and a lot of other people.

thank you for your reply! That definitely makes me feel better. I was a little worried at the “mostly” availability on Pete’s chart. Our vacation schedule is pretty limited so it will only be thanksgiving week when we go. Now to find a blt contract! :)

We are also an original owner, buying 6 months before BLT opened, and have loved being an owner. I agree with the earlier answer, especially the fact that most types of accommodations will be available at 11 months, especially anything with Lake View. But I see you would want a "Standard". Those will be the rooms that go the quickest, so you should make sure you have enough points to "move up" to a Lake View if necessary. The caveat to any of this is the current COVID situation. Without getting into the details, there will be a buildup of points for a certain length of time due to the COVID-related cancellations and DVC allowing folks to put back their borrowed points as well as "re-bank" some previously banked points. So just beware that booking rooms for next year, and possibly even after that, could become a little more difficult, regardless of location, room type, or time of year. I would not want to talk you out of buying, but you just need to understand that previous availability "trends" may not necessarily apply for the next year or two. BTW - Check out the link above for the DVC Resource Center. There is some great information there. You'll note that there are 148 Dedicated 2-BR units, but I don't know how many are Standard/Lake/Theme Park. Good luck with your search!!

Getting a standard dedicated 2BR at BLT for Thanksgiving time can sometimes be a problem. Those have a risk of filling very quickly after the 11-month reservation window opens for Thanksgiving week. Thus, you should not purchase BLT with the expectation of being able to always get a standard dedicated 2BR during extremely high demand times like Thanksgiving week. In fact, no one should buy BLT with the expectation of getting standard view all the time, regardless of room size, As mentioned above, you might try usually for standard view but you need the points to be able to move up to lake view when necessary.

You also mention the possibility of purchasing AKV. Be aware that AKV value and club level rooms have an extreme 11-month issue, but other rooms at AKV are usually easy to get at 11-months out.

Last edited:
We've owned since 2009 and are 6/6 when trying for a dedicated 2br. Twice we ended up switching resorts at 7 months, but we've have had great success grabbing them at the 11 month mark. We don't travel during major holidays like Thanksgiving or Xmas, but most of our trips have been during fall frenzy.

As Drusba mentions above, for anyone looking to purchase at resorts with standard views i always recommend to buy enough points to cover the middle or preferred view. Buying only enough points for a standard view can lead to disappointment. I'd always rather add a night or bank some points due to scoring a standard view than having to cut a trip short due to not having enough for the lake view.

Good luck getting that std room!

I would not recommend buying only enough points that you have to be able to book the Standard view at BLT especially during popular times and holidays. I've been shut out of the 2BR BLT standard view at 11 months. It's also commonly the category that gets threads started of "I can't book my home resort at 11 months" which has meant "I couldn't book the cheapest option at my home resort".

Buy enough to book the lakeview and if you get standard view it's a plus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter