Curious to see how fast resorts start to fill up. Post your experience!

We are planning on February 2020. Do we need to book a room now at All Stars or do you think we're safe to still wait a bit?

I would lock in the rooms now, it doens’t get cheaper overtime. + you can cancel either 30days if it’s a pkg or 5 days for room only Rez.

I suppose there isn't really a way to see if Galaxy's Edge opening date gave a bump to the late fall/winter bookings unless your compare to last year's data, which they haven't' given to me. ;)

Interesting - I checked a few dates in Sept for a 4 night trip, and on the last weekend of the month there is a lot of availability in all the resorts. So not selling out as one would suspect.

I requested 2 rooms at beach club from my TA on Saturday late morning, for sep 19-22 (this trip isn’t specifically for galaxy’s edge, but it provided motivation to book earlier than we normally do) and we got them, but she did say she was on hold forever, haha.

My opinion I think we are overestimating the demand of people willing now to suddenly drop thousands of dollars for a family vacation because GE is now opening up. Either they are already planning a family vacation and are setting their dates to what fits best for their family, not when GEis opening. Prior announcements always said late fall and so I think families and fans planned around this. Sure there’s going to be massive crowds will suddenly show up, many maybe locals or just come down for a drive in one night. But I am curious to hear back on how packages are selling for end of August. I also just recently checked and there’s availability. I mean Disney is a big deal when it comes to planning a vacation in investing money. It’s not like a concert that is sold out in a second night is added people jump on it. There’s a lot more investment in this case both time and money. Maybe a good comparison is Harry Potter. How did those openings go? If anything is near comparison to Star Wars it would be Harry Potter. I think of anything that will drive crowds will be hard-core fans and the Vgloggers/ press. That has always been the complaint of events lately is that crowd size has been insane mainly due to press and Blogger crowds

My opinion I think we are overestimating the demand of people willing now to suddenly drop thousands of dollars for a family vacation because GE is now opening up. Either they are already planning a family vacation and are setting their dates to what fits best for their family, not when GEis opening. Prior announcements always said late fall and so I think families and fans planned around this. Sure there’s going to be massive crowds will suddenly show up, many maybe locals or just come down for a drive in one night. But I am curious to hear back on how packages are selling for end of August. I also just recently checked and there’s availability. I mean Disney is a big deal when it comes to planning a vacation in investing money. It’s not like a concert that is sold out in a second night is added people jump on it. There’s a lot more investment in this case both time and money. Maybe a good comparison is Harry Potter. How did those openings go? If anything is near comparison to Star Wars it would be Harry Potter. I think of anything that will drive crowds will be hard-core fans and the Vgloggers/ press. That has always been the complaint of events lately is that crowd size has been insane mainly due to press and Blogger crowds

I actually agree with you to a point. My fear is that Disney is going to raise prices on resorts by a LOT next year in anticipation of the crowds they expect, not the crowds that actually show up.

When you have to drop thousands for a vacation, it makes sense to go AFTER the entire area is open and not just when part of it is open. My bet is that most people are waiting until RoR opens too. If I were a SW fan, there is no way I'd pay double and go on two trips. I'd just wait and do it all at once.

We've been booked for Nov 2-5 at POFQ for a few months already. Some room types (including ours) are sold out, but there's still availability at the resort. I can't compare apples to apples since ours is sold out, but the available rooms are similar enough in price that I don't think there has been a change since the SW:GE announcement. Although that week is on the lower end of rack room rates, there were never any discounts offered for that time period. Our dates aren't flexible so we booked early, but we'd planned to keep monitoring promotions and re-book if anything came out. We'd assumed that would depend on when GE opened, so I suppose it's less likely now.

I have been monitoring the DVC calendars availability since announcement date. Studios are starting to and are all gone at Boardwalk and Beach club especially.

However, still plenty of 1bd and 2bd available pretty much across the board Sept through Oct.

I think the concern is that those folks who have dates set in stone for whatever reason are worried they will not find a resort in their price point and/or preference.

I am really glad I booked my December 6th room last year because I rather doubt I could find that room at that price for those dates if I looked today. I have specific dates that I can travel, and I have specific preferences in regards to resorts, and looking at reports of resort availability today is way different than it was several months agao.

Yeah pretty much this. We are a group of 11 and are trying to get a deluxe hotel at the lower end of price points (every dollar more in the room cost adds up with its multiplied by 3 rooms) and just want to make sure it isn’t slim pickings, especially if the second phase opening ends up being late in the year. Maybe that would cause a spillover of crowds into January, especially on the weekends. I’m sure I’m overthinking it!

My resort had plenty of availability in all categories until the day after the announcement (CBR), but there are still pirate rooms available.

About an hour after the announcement was made, I called Swan/Dolphin and got an executive suite at the Swan at a fantastic rate (less than a standard room at Poly) for August 24 - 31. When she quoted me I kind of thought, "Marriott didn't hear the news yet, this rate is too good!" and I booked it ASAP. I was on the phone with WDW reservations a few days ago to modify our July trip to CCV and asked if they were getting slammed with calls, questions and bookings and the CM said, surprisingly, no. She said they were expecting to get slammed, but that she personally didn't see an uptick in calls for reservations. IMHO, it seems there are as many people, and perhaps more, that want to avoid SWGE than want make reservations to see it.

Out of curiosity I checked DL during opening days, nothing left but Grand Californian at $1206 for a standard view CL.
True DL only has 3 resorts. But I think a lot of people are waiting to see how the opening impacts DL and then they will decide to book here, it's still almost 6 months away

Count me in as one of those people Disney is counting on to suddenly drop thousands of dollars for a family vacation because GE is now opening up. Yesterday I booked a room at Boardwalk with the Fun & Sun deal for GE Opening Day. I never consider a trip 'set' until we have airfare so we are still tentative.

Count me in as one of those people Disney is counting on to suddenly drop thousands of dollars for a family vacation because GE is now opening up. Yesterday I booked a room at Boardwalk with the Fun & Sun deal for GE Opening Day. I never consider a trip 'set' until we have airfare so we are still tentative.
Strong move. I’ve been following availability and surprised that both Boardwalk and BC are still available at a discount for opening week.

I requested 2 rooms at beach club from my TA on Saturday late morning, for sep 19-22 (this trip isn’t specifically for galaxy’s edge, but it provided motivation to book earlier than we normally do) and we got them, but she did say she was on hold forever, haha.

Just did a search for the same time span and there is tons of availability still. Only GF is completely booked. Although the Sun and Fun offer is used up at all resorts except the Poly.

My TA told me there is no reason to book a room only reservation now {for Feb 2020} because it can't be converted to a package when those are released, it just has to be canceled and rebooked? Is that correct?

My TA told me there is no reason to book a room only reservation now {for Feb 2020} because it can't be converted to a package when those are released, it just has to be canceled and rebooked? Is that correct?
Essentially yes that is correct but typically they can at least guarantee you that room you had booked previously because it is just cancelled and then automatically rebooked as a package.

Staying onsite at DLR has always been more expensive than WDW. Plus with the added guarantee of a GE visit I can see it having much higher demand than WDW would for the opening period.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!